• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • what flat/spd combo pedal has the biggest most supportive platform?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

always used spd’s but recently loving the extra comfort and confidence a set of flats with 5 10’s can provide ..pretty good uphill too although maybe that’s just my fitness improving. Is there a pedal out there that has a really big platform with spd clip in also so you get the best of both worlds?

wwaswas

Time Z control are quite a big platform.

My experience is that the big platform can make unclipping in an emergency a bit more fo a chore due to extra grip from the sole of the show (particularly with the 5.10 spd soles which are quite sticky) so be careful.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IME they’ve all been rubbish, just swap between flats/SPD’s depending on my mood, the bike or the location.

Platform SPD’s do little more than protect the SPD mechanism and provide a bit of lateral suppourt to the shoe. If you miss the mechanism clipping in they can be of some use if you’ve already committed to something, but I’d always try and clip in and wouldnt deliberately perch on top.

z1ppy

IME I find the SPD spindle stands too high above the platform, to make the platform particularly useful (Time Freeride Z & old Shimano M424’s). Though saying that my Freeride Z’s have bare metal showing on the platform, so I must use some of it occasionally.
    My Freeride Z, feel more solid than the SPD pair of Time I bought last time..

GW
    Free Member

you can’t possibly get the best of both worlds if a cleated shoe/pedal is involved.

z1ppy

wasn’t there some talk of a Crank Brothers pedal with a recessed spd clip?

GW
    Free Member

if it’s recessed how the **** are you going to clip into it? road shoes?

Rickos
    Free Member

Biggest platform on a clippy pedal is a Crank Bros Mallet. Stand to be corrected (as seems to happen quite often!), but I don’t know of any bigger.

Del

z-freerides are about the same size as mallets, and as far as i can tell, they don’t have the same propensity to self destruct as egg beaters. been there, done that, bought 4 new sets of pedals… 🙄
    also the times are gripper when you’re unclipped.

organic355
    Free Member

are the XTR trail pedals supposed to be good?

Skyliner
    Free Member

From a price perspective I’d recommend the Shimano 324’s as VFM.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve not had any issues with my CB pedals (candy’s with stainless axles).

Atomlab made a ‘proper’ flat/clip pedal but they had a reputation for needing a rebuild quicker than fox forks/CB pedals/mechanical disk brakes/superstar components. Can’t remember if they were one on each side, or SPD one side, flat the other though.

scruff
    Free Member

Time Z-s are very platformy chunky things, new XTR isnt quite as stable but still gives you good support. My ankles are rubbish and I can really notice the platform helping compared to my standard commuter spds.

However, real men ride flats.

foxyrider
    Free Member

What about these – I got them for a good half-way-house between spd and flats:

2 versions at £57 and £46

z1ppy

GW – Member
    if it’s recessed how the **** are you going to clip into it? road shoes?

This was the point, they were going to be “innovative”. I dunno I just read something once, not seen anything about em since, and just wondered if anyone else had?

Pauly

Shimano M647’s are very good but heavy, and almost indestructible. Had mine for years.
    Just got a set of XTR Trail pedals and first impressions are very good.

HTH.

VanHalen

malletts have proper pins like a flat pedal.

my candys dont have enough support to teh side really so i`m considering an upgrade. also if you miss clipping back in there is sod all to stand on for the next few corners.

then again i might just go back to flats as rides are more fun with flats.

Del

FWIW I’ve not had any issues with my CB pedals (candy’s with stainless axles).

snapped a spindle in half on one of those whilst climbing 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘what flat/spd combo pedal has the biggest most supportive platform?’ is closed to new replies.