Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What flat pedals for DH’ing??
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Looking at spending IRO 30.00 on some flat pedals for a trip to Les Gets. Used to SPD’s but remember them being a bit of a pain over there last year.

forge197
    Free Member

I used DMR V12’s last year in Morzine/Les Gets. The previous year I’d used SPD’s felt better with flats. Will be on V12’s this year too

When you over there?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’d go for some of the Wellgo MG-1s. Better platform size than the V12s which are too small for most feet and far lighter. Can be had for well under £30 on ebay or £35 from Merlin.

I’ve been running a pair for about 6 months and they’ve been great.

If you weren’t on a budget though I would definitely go for Easton Flatboys

steel4real
    Free Member

Second the MG1’s I run them on 2 of my bikes on the remaining one I’m going to swap from the DMR V12’s to MG1’s as well, prefer the slightly bigger platform and feel of them as they are thinner, never seem to ‘roll’ the pedal compared to the V12’s where I occasionally do – ‘High on bikes’ on ebay generally have them at a good price.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Also on MG1 pedals. Very good, much better than DMR

jam-bo

i’m running some cheapo diamond back ones at the moment.

with five tens it doesn’t really matter as they stick to anything and when i smash the shit out of them it won’t matter either.

jamnspoon
    Free Member

i use mag 1,s and after a couple of weeks i have allready lost half the pins from nothing more than tree roots.

the atomlab aircorp on the big bike is a different story STRONG & very well made & now they even have the poor bearing life sorted these are exellent.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Those Atomlabs are hardly going to fit with the £30 budget though are they. Way over double the price of the Wellgos.

No idea what you have been doing to the MG 1s in order to lose that many pins. I’ve run mine for a good while now and they have survived intact with some good firm knocks.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Another for the Wellgo, had a set for a few years now, never serviced smashed on rocks a few times and still going strong…

poppa
    Free Member

If you get pedals with removable (grub screw) pins, it is a good idea to make sure they are all firmly tightened before you start riding. Otherwise they are more likely to fall out. You could even put some threadlock on if you want more security.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

linkOnly £1.99 over budget, larger and slimmer than V8/12s, nice and comfy.

wwaswas

I’ve got a pair of 24/7 Slack pedals you could have for £15 posted?

nice big platform, pins that make a big mess of your shins given half a chance, the usual stuff.

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

push the boat out and get some Burgetec penthouse…

Might have to add a £100 to the budget though!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Burgetec penthouse…

Heavy (over 200g)
    Expensive
    Massive

Whay bother?

Coyote
    Free Member

wwaswas. If Luke’s not interested in the 24/7 Slacks I could be. What condition are they in and any chance of pics?

wwaswas

Coyote, I’ll do some pics later but they’re generally ok, were greased regularly etc. To be honest I’ve not used them for about a year so it’s all a bit fuzzy.

The back edge of the pedal also doubles as a beer bottle opener which is what sold them to me 🙂

They are fairly heavy though, being jumpy pedals – much more than DMR V8’s for example, but the platform is much bigger amnd better shaped.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

http://www.mtb-direct.co.uk/cgi-bin/index.cgi?item=ITEM080318145857

Got some of these Lickity Split Flats not long back from mtb direct.
    Well impressed. £35 gets you a well made large platform concave pedal with sealed bearings. Bargin!
    After numourous harsh winter rides still as smooth as the day i bought them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never had problems with V8s.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

what size axle is an MTB?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Ive always used V8/12’s, but trialling some Atomlab G.I.’s, which are pretty good for similar money. Larger thinner platform. Not sure on lifespan tho, as DMR’s seem to last forever with minimal maintenance.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Thanks one and all.

Just bought some Wellgo MG-1’s off Merlin.

MrNutt
    Free Member

‘High on bikes’
    pearl white mag-1’s

bargain, recommend!!

darrell
    Free Member

using V8s…..cheap and great

jamnspoon
    Free Member

tbh in reply to above it is just a good idea to weight up your options as £30.00 on dh pedals is not very much & neither would i use the mag wellgo,s for les gets

i have only used the pedals on the ht and the pins are well screwed in they are simply great pedals with poor pins with not enough recess.

the mary townley loop is rocky but hardly the alps so i could not reccomend them for les gets. ya pays ya money….

ziggy
    Free Member

Gusset Slim Jims are my choice, sealed bearings, nice thin cage for a smidge more ground clearance and available in some cool colours.
    Sell loads in the shop without one single return. About £35 notes or less if you look around.

steel4real
    Free Member

neither would i use the mag wellgo,s for les gets

like Les Gets is going to be so very testing on pedals ?!

jamnspoon
    Free Member

🙄

wwaswas

sorry, coyote – can’t find any contact details for you 24/7’s;

click to make bigger.

no play in axles – as you can see, they’ve been used but not abused. luke DOT burstow AT hot mail DOT co DOT uk

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What flat pedals for DH’ing??’ is closed to new replies.