Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What fixed gear commuter frame?
  • sl2000

JRA this morning and the downtube on my 12 year old alloy Condor Pista has cracked – so I need a new frame quickly.

Must have eyes for a rack and I’d like clearance for guards.

I’d also like something ‘nice’.

Pompino looks a bit too functional and doesn’t go small enough (I’m after ~515mm TT). So far I’m considering a Pearson or another Condor.

Anything else I should be looking at?

TiRed

I’d consider another Pista. Most singlespeeds have pretty cheap steel these days. Is yours SAT14.5/531 or equivalent? That’s considered hi-end in the current fixie world.

Since you are small, a Grand Wagon frame for £299 in the same SAT14.5 is a bargain. Has mounts for mudguards, but not a rack – you’d need a Tubus Fly or the like that mounts to the brake bridge.

I have a Paddy Wagon with the same geometry, and the handling is fantastic, if a touch heavy. I’m also thinking of upgrading the frame to one of these (or a Burls Ti)

sl2000

Grand Wagon looks an interesting choice. Currently using p-clips for the top of the rack so no problem with similar on the next frame. My old Pista was aluminium.

TiRed

In that case, I’d get the small Grand Wagon. The geometry is spot on (probably a little more relaxed than the Pista, but bang on for a road bike), the steel is light (not quite as light as the Pista Al) and it’s half the price of the current Pista (which is made of the same steel).

I wouldn’t keep the p-clips though – not enough style 😉

I use a seatpost clamp adapter from M-part which adds rack mounting points, but the Grand Wagon is a better frame with a much nicer seatpost clamp. For the money it is a bargain, to be honest.

Gutterball
    Free Member

Bob Jackson Vigorelli? They’ll stick whatever braze-ons you need.

wheelie

I do 30 Mile round trip commute on a Mike Kowal Pagannini ….he supplies Pearson with the same frame with their sticker on it. Super bike gets going well and comfortable…and i’m comparing it to my other bikes which are titanium. Thoroughly recommended!

wheelie

Condor Tempo looks good , but more money!

wheelie

Condor Tempo looks good , but more money!

sl2000

Bob Jackson Vigorelli?

Hadn’t thought about a custom build. That looks surprisingly cheap – especially cf Condor. I have a race bike that could be pressed into commuting duties while waiting for a new frame, so the delay not necessarily an issue.

I had started the day a bit miserable about the broken frame, but am now enjoying the search.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

My commuter bikes a Pearson Hanzo, get on very well with it. Well recommended

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What fixed gear commuter frame?’ is closed to new replies.