Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What fits better than a mud hugger?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Fitted a pair to the wife’s bike and both needed “remodelling” to be remotely useful. Now, I can cut them some slack for the rear as the various shapes and sizes out there couldn’t be covered with a handful of designs, but the front I feel is somewhat lacking. I don’t think a 2.4″ tyre in a 160 pike is outside the norm. After considerable time and effort with a heat gun, I resorted to cutting a chunk out to fit around the brace rather than under it.

So, for my bike, I’d like something that just fits and doesn’t require an evening of remanufacturing. What’s out there?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nothing? Bugger.

STATO
    Free Member

The problem is rockshox braces don’t have a lot of clearance. Had to do the same with my pikes but had no issues with fox forx on other bike.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Running a mud hugger on my Pikes and mostly OK with DHF 2.3 but wasn’t great with a Shorty. I’d like to add one to my HT, Revelations with a DHF 2.3 so would like to know what works/recommendations for this combo?

dallas95
    Free Member

I use these.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Shock-Blade-II-26-650B-Front-Mudguard_61131.htm?sku=177238&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CPbz4YSWwMsCFSsz0wodciMMVQ#

You fit a plug into the bottom of the steerer and the mudguard can be clipped on when you need it and removed when you don’t. Loads of clearance so never clogs and keeps all the spray off your face. They do a rear and that works well, keeping you dry.

Like you I couldn’t be bothered with cutting and cable tieing a mudhugger to either front or back and the amount of clearance looked like it could be an issue with big tyres and boggy trails.

milky1980
    Free Member

Just for balance I’ve got one of their fronts on a 26″ 150mm Pike with a 2.4″ HRII and there’s plenty of clearance. Was fine all winter with the Shorty on, no remodelling required. Fits well on my Fox 32 27’5 too. Neither clogged once, even round the off-piste FOD gloop! The drivetrain packed up with mud first 😆

Ran rears on both bikes too with no issues either. They do work with surprisingly little clearance required.

teamslug
    Free Member

Make your own out of a thin plastic A4 folder. Works for me..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What fits better than a mud hugger?’ is closed to new replies.