Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • What first DH bike???
  • xterramac
    Free Member

xiphon, up the budget bike massive…

Starter bike incoming,

yeah, i hear you folks. A fork upgrade/chain device etc, will get on it and maybe keep you posted on what becomes of the bike and i as we step off the edge into the DH world………

Cheers for now

xiphon
    Free Member

@xterramac

Budget DH build… around £500 in total in it’s current state.

cookeaa

That Yakuza will do the job, but I would certainly consider at least changing the Fork/shock springs, the Ad’ states he’s installed X-firm springs in the Fork and a 650Lb at the rear: check these will suit your own weight with the TF spring calc/Marzocchi recommended spring rates, or more ideally – hunt down some Boxxers/888/Super-T/Monster-T/Shiver-DC or any other halfway decent 170-200mm triple clamp fork from the last decade or so…

Cherry Red Boxxers would be Sweet if you can get them in budget, Marzocchi forks are generally sworn by (With the exception of MY 2008/2009) – personally I’m a fan of the 32mm Boxxers as a no-nonsense basic DH fork, yes other forks are stiffer but the old Boxxers do work bloody well IME.
    Forget Fox on cost grounds, and Manitou for their leaky seals…

Yup Budget DH FTW! my own is a 170mm travel 05 Stab with Boxxers.
    The Boxxers

Frame was £150 from ebay (with DHX4, 2-springs and headset)…

Most of the parts came from ebay/classifieds/spares in the Garage cost me well under £500 to assemble (Treating all the parts in the Garage already as zero cost), it’s just had offset shock mounts and a few other tweaks to slacken it out a bit, she’s a beauty…

richc
    Free Member
    scottfitz
    Free Member

170-200mm triple clamp fork from the last decade or so…

Or 180mm single crowns Marzocchi 66’s or Rockshox Domain

something like this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rockshox-domain-302-180mm-travel-/330704158400?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4cff80fec0

xiphon
    Free Member

Those Domains have a tapered steerer, so won’t fit.

cookeaa

Or 180mm single crowns Marzocchi 66’s or Rockshox Domain

Nah the Domains weigh the same as a Boxxer (if not dlightly more) anyway don’t they?

And all long travel SC forks will ramp up more at the top of their travel due to having less internal volume relative to their travel, you have to spend some serious money to get a SC fork that will blat through a rock garden using all its travel properly, as well as a mid price proper DH fork does…

An older set of Boxxers or 888s setup and left will see you through the next couple of years with minimal fuss, Honest…

scottfitz
    Free Member

Those Domains have a tapered steerer, so won’t fit.

yer cool i was just saying you don’t have to get triple clamps for DH 😉

I have 66’s there great 😀

scottfitz
    Free Member

On another note dose anyone know if that frame can take 200mm forks? They were 150mm standard (I think 😕 )

cookeaa

Oh she’ll take it…
    She’ll take it and she’ll like! [/Waterman style]

scottfitz
    Free Member

Oh she’ll take it…
    She’ll take it and she’ll like! [/Waterman style]

😀 😛 😀

scottfitz
    Free Member

By the way xterramac.
    Round two of the honey series is at rogate next week if the bike is ready.

Link:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/77617/Gravity-Project-Honey-Series-Round-2

scottfitz
    Free Member

looks good how long is the track? (time wise)

scruff
    Free Member

Depends how it gets taped out but you’ll need to be good to get under a minute.

Actually its this weekend, next weekend is regular Racers Guild.

xterramac
    Free Member

Quick update,

Bike arrived, stripped and serviced most of it, shocks-brakes-wheel bearings-pivots, 10hrs in the sun…… cost 3x beers.

Switched drive over. Tired old sram and bent double chain set went into the bits box for a rainny day. XT shifting and SLX single ring came out of the bits box and onto the bike.
    Switched worn tires for maxis 2.35’s out of the bits box… Cost zero (bits box from the shed don’t really count as £’s spent does it?)

Ordered chain device and brake pads…. Cost £70

Total cost so far £345. + 4xbeers (1 more when i saw the price of chain devices)

Aim is now to build a race-able DH bike and race 5 events, covering all costs for under a grand…. Project £1000’s Privateer, is go!!!

@Scottfitz, Sadly I cant make the Honey DH next weekend due to wedding commitments gurrrr, looks like may6th will be first event unless theres anything like it for a first one in April?

xiphon
    Free Member

Any updated pics?

Budget builds are far more interesting than £4k ultra rigs.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Budget builds are far more interesting than £4k ultra rigs.

+1 🙂

xterramac- i won’t be at Round 3 @ GP, 6th may as im away camping that weekend, I will be racing Round 4 at Rogate on the 3rd june and Going to do a race/uplift at UKBP and aston.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

http://www.rootsandrain.com/calendar/#!/2012/eu,gb/dh/

Have a look there if you want to race.

flidis
    Free Member

I can’t find a current uk importer for KTM though, I know they did have one a couple a seasons ago as a mate rode xc for them, but they sunddenly went funny and he lost his bike mid way through the year,,,,,

just to reply to this bit about the KTM.

There hasn’t been anyone bringing them in for about 3 years now. The guy who was doing it stopped mid season, hence why the demo / loan bikes had to go back to KTM. They didn’t belong to the agent.

They are now available to all good bike shops.

However the Ratchet has now sold out.

Last time we check Biped Cycles in Breacon were the only ones with one in stock.

Hope that helps.

Col.

FLi Distribution – the face of KTM Bike Industries UK

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘What first DH bike???’ is closed to new replies.