Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • What fire extinguisher for having a logburner in the house?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member
    teasel
    Free Member

even more reason not to be slumbering your stove.

stupid idea anyway – yet people still pride them selves on getting an “all night burn”

🙂

And he’s off again…

Edit : I should add that I’ve done exactly that with the same stove for almost twenty years and it’s fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

doesnt mean its A. good B. advisable or C. good for the air quality around you .

But im ok jack.

” Do not slow / slumber burn. Do not “turn the stove down for the night”. There should be good visible flames in the firebox. Some stove users fill their stoves with wood and shut the air vent fully, immediately prior to retiring for the night, in order to keep the woodstove burning all night. This allows the stove to be rekindled in the morning simply by adding more fuel and opening up the air vents. However, this practice should be avoided at all costs – although the burn rate is reduced to such a level that the fire is still burning the following day. Instead of burning the wood to produce mainly carbon dioxide, water and heat, the process is reduced to conversion of the wood into heavy, tarry chemicals which are subsequently deposited on the insides of the flue or chimney. This is a very inefficient process – releasing only a small fraction of the available heat, and causes severe tarring of the flue/chimney which greatly increases the risks of chimney fire, and makes sweeping the chimney necessary more often.”

Ive grown up with parents/grandparents that did the same thing for years.

How ever if we always do the same thing we will always get the same results…. a nice smoggy mess. Gives stove users a bad name.

chestrockwell

Infact – in what not to use water or salt features highly …..

As in don’t go chucking buckets of water over the fire. The OP mentioned dealing with logs/embers that fall out on to the carpet. For this small amounts of water are the answer.

If the chimney is on fire call the Fire Service out. We will then put water on it.

welshfarmer

Now I speak from a position of experience here, having a house heated entirely by wood and a wife who is determined to burn the place down one day. Now for what it is worth I would definitely recommend a dry powder extinguisher, to be kept for emergencies. They WILL kill any fire but at the expense of a hell of a mess. But at least your house will be saved. And it is no use relying on the fire brigade if you live out in the sticks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“If the chimney is on fire call the Fire Service out. We will then put water on it.”

your trained too…. difference is bob sees that you stick water on it and he tries to too- the result – most of his livingrooms now on fire as the fires no longer in the fire box…..

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s me – giving stove users a bad name.

Not many close enough to get affected by my stove.

But the real issue isn’t slumbering, it’s the moisture content in the fuel that causes coking issues. Sure, with dry wood you’ll get a small amount of soot building up but it’ll burn off when you open it up again.

I do wish you’d stop being so evangelical about this particular subject – you’re almost matching Northwind’s tale of Chris King headsets… 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

lol…. just providing a service, hopefully stop a few chimney fires and stop giving the government reasons to clamp down on stove users because of the number of respiritory problems in high use areas….

teasel
    Free Member

TBH, I think the misunderstanding here is you envisage night burns as a shut down that slumbers but I see it as a slow burn that still has a flame and doesn’t smoke too much when compared to a full-on roar.

I’d probably freeze to death in the winter months if I didn’t burn overnight – it’s my only heating source.

Edit : A good night burn is all about the quality of wood and the way you stack it in the stove.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont think your slumbering…. if theres flames its not slumbering its just a low burn.

What i mean is when the stoves shut in and theres just lightly glowing embers all night…. which with most domestic sized (4-5kw) stoves is the only way your going to get an all night burn with the size of firebox they have.

If its your only source of heating you probably also have a back boiler and a fairly decent size of fire box that can take enough fuel to have a propper slow burn with flames.

chestrockwell

difference is bob sees that you stick water on it and he tries to too- the result – most of his livingrooms now on fire as the fires no longer in the fire box…..

Then he should read the rest of what I said. 😉

One of the big problems with log burners is that the wood gives off sap that coats the flue. This can then set on fire if not cleaned out every year. Much worse then the products of burning coal. Saying all that, I’ve been in the job 16 years and have been to loads of chimney fires but very few that have not been dealt with easily. The key is to get us out ASAP.

teasel
    Free Member

if theres flames its not slumbering

In which case I definitely don’t slumber.

And yeah, mines about a 6 or 7kw IIRC. However, my partner has a little stove, about 4-5kw and I’m quite impressed with it TBH as it will do a good overnight burn without too much trouble – around twelve hours. The glass is cleaner than mine.

Anyway, glad we resolved the terminology issue. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

What teasel and I definitely slumber( I assume that is what i do) it over night so it depends on what the definition is

I tend to do two things

1) Put on wood, get proper flames then cover with ash – is that slumbering?

2) Use those coal briquettes things that burn slowly overnight

For both methods I dont alter the vents

Its the only heat source I use so that it does need to not to have shut down over night

bruneep

Kerwality posts on here keep it up lads.

I would fit a full domestic sprinkler system to be on the safe side if it concerns you that much.

whatgoesup

I work in the engineering industry, and for an automotive sized test cell there would usually be an inert gas “dump” system (used to be, but is no longer halon) – great for putting out fires with no damage. Maybe one of those would work.

The only problem is they suffocate anyone in the room at the time – still at least the fire would be out !

trail_rat
    Free Member

nuke it from orbit.

it wouldnt be out ….. but at least there would be no worrys about the stove burning your house down.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘What fire extinguisher for having a logburner in the house?’ is closed to new replies.