Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What fat files can I safely delete from a 96% full Garmin Edge 1000
  • gaidong
    Free Member

Dear STW,

Plugged my Garmin Edge 1000 in today and lo, an update was ready to be downloaded. Except it couldn’t install without a microSD card that I don’t have and don’t intend to buy. I deleted all my history and got the update done but now the Garmin is 96% full (up from 89% before). What is chewing the storage? I have done two factory resets, to no avail.

I’ve been through the directory and the only thing I can see is three .img files in the Device – Garmin folder, taking 7 Gb between them. They’re all dated today, so presumably from the update, but can any of them be safely dumped now the install is done? The biggest is called gmapprom, which I get the feeling is probably quite necessary, but still leaves two called “D” followed by a series of numbers.

Do I really have to buy a microSD for a Garmin that’s worked fine for nearly three years?

Many thanks.
    Gaidong

genubah
    Free Member

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. I do have a microSD, and Garmin Express decided it should install on it, but failed on two attempts (transfer speed got gradually lower until it just stopped).

Then I did the following:
    1. Backup the contents of the Edge 1000 storage;
    2. Delete all big (*.img) files in the Garmin folder;
    3. Connect to Garmin Express and reinstall maps.

Surprisingly, everything installed just fine in just the Edge’s storage(no need for the microSD) with room to spare.

gaidong
    Free Member

I’m feeling brave, I’ll give that a go then. Thanks!

PJay
    Free Member

Out of interest, why the reluctance to buy an micro SD card? My humble Etrex has less than 2Gb of memory but a 32Gb SD card (even about 4 years ago) was cheap as chips. I’d guess that a 32Gb SD card would be pocket money prices today (I’ve seen budget ones for under £6) at least compared to the price Edge 1000 itself; they’re not an excuse not to declutter but should allow you to use the Edge to its full potential.

I’ve not noticed an issue with my Etrex, but do the Edge updates leave any temporary files on the device?

gaidong
    Free Member

@PJay, purest laziness. If I was placing an order and sticking in a card, why not (bought one for my Garmin VIRB two weeks ago), but just for this when it was working before :(.

Have copied files over. Just need to get deleting and wreak some havoc now!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I had the same issue recently.

I did the update with the garmin connected by a data transfer cable to my laptop, via express. Worked a treat and no need for sd card.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What fat files can I safely delete from a 96% full Garmin Edge 1000’ is closed to new replies.