Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • what fast rolling grippy light 29er tyre
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Yeah wrong time of year but got some Christmas money lol after a Tyre for 29er after winter clears off, want lightish grippy and fast rolling not fussed with tubeless as can’t be bothered with the faff these days

Seen some contis cheap at on one race king I think , any good ? Small block
    Cheers

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Racing Ralph?

eshershore
    Free Member

Specialized Control Captain

sorted…

bigbloke
    Free Member

Maxxis Ikon

Clink

Racing Ralph.

rOcKeTdOg

crossmark

njee20
    Free Member

Ralph.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Nate 😀

clubby

I see your Nate and raise you a Big Fat Larry.

gab344
    Free Member

May I suggest a Maxxis IKON 2.2 on the front paired with Maxxis ASPEN 2.1 on the rear. Nice and light + fast rolling.

Clink

Aspen if fast and grippy but this sidewalls.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Ralph gets my vote – Geax AKA another option.

STATO
    Free Member

Ive started using Verdestein Black Panther Extremes, worth it just for the name but they are proving pretty good too. Get good ratings and the sidewalls seem a bit stiffer than schwalbes so dont fold over as much at low pressure.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have 2.2 race kings front and back for summer use on my Gryphon and really rate them – and they are the cheap non black chilli versions so pretty cheap.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Curve ball time but Bontrager 29-1…

takisawa2

Ralphs. I use Smallblocks in the “summer” but having tried Ralphs I think I have found a year round tyre for me. And that bike-discount.de place does a pair for little over £50. I use the 2.35 versions, at about 26/27 psi.

firestarter
    Free Member

Lots to think on cheers 😉 used to rate Jones acx but alas they are no more, got rampages on at min but feel very heavy so just looking for something nice light and fast for summer . Cheers

windjammer
    Free Member

im going to get a pair of these for summer kenda happy medium
    http://mbaction.com/Main/News/Product_Test_Kenda_Happy_Medium_Tires_5408.aspx

windjammer
    Free Member

im going to get a pair of these for summer kenda happy medium
    tyres

Swayndo
    Free Member

How are the Ralph’s for rattling down scree strewn hillsides? Too light or okay?

Looking for a slightly smaller tyre than an HD for the rear in summer. Can’t have a liability for remote riding tho. Was thinking maybe Spesh Purgatory.

jfeb
    Free Member

Not ridden them down “scree strewn hillsides” but another vote for Racing Ralphs. A remarkably versatile tyre in 29er size.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Specialized Ground Controls

Stoner
    Free Member

ditto for the RRs.

All year round, light despite being 2.4″.

I have though recently built up a tubeless set of Rocket Rons on Crests for a laugh. My Everyday Wheels are Superstar hubs in Salsa rims with tubes, avid rotors and Racing ralph on the front and Ignitor on the back = 2,325g Rear and 2,225g Front (it’s a swappable front hub)

The Crest & XTR wheels build up to 970g R and 800g F wheel weights and 1,720g & 1,580g respectively fully loaded with tyres/latex/rotors etc.

That’s a weight saving of 605g at the back and 645g at the front (-30%!)

And the weather has just been too dire to test them yet 🙁

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Ralf 2.4 run them at 20psi, with tubes, sometimes lower.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Racing Ralph here, with snakeskin sidewalls. I’ve said before on here that I’m constantly amazed by what they can do. In 29er format especially, its grippy and fast and light.

Swayndo
    Free Member

steve_b77 … are Ground Controls only 2.1?

jfeb, I was maybe being poetic … do Ralphs cope with hard knocks on rock. I’m assuming its the Snakeskin model. As a defence point I won’t use Nobby Nics as they are too flimsy and not up to mountain riding IMO.

Frankers
    Free Member

Do Racing Ralph’s mount to ZTR rims ok??

jezandu
    Free Member

Yep mine mounted the ztr rims with few problems. On-one had some racing Ralphs for £25 for the snakeskin ones in 2.25.

Jez http://www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com

orangeboy
    Free Member

Love my conti race kings for the summer and Spesh ground control or storm at the moment
    All on ztr rims with no issues

PhilP
    Free Member

Ralph, unless it is Rocky where you ride….

tazzymtb

rocket ron, widdles all over the ralph for grip and lighter by miles

Clink

Presume you can get snakeskin Ron tazzy?

jfeb
    Free Member

Swayndo – Sorry if I sounded like I was taking the p1ss, I didn’t mean to. My riding is nearly all woodsy stuff with very little rock so I don’t know how well they would stand up to rocky trails. My guess is that they aren’t much/any more robust than Nobby Niks (which I also use albeit in 26er variety). Ralphs are primarily designed as a light-weight, racey tyre after all.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Apparently they can now be had in 2.3″ flavour

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Fast Trac, great for woodland single track

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘what fast rolling grippy light 29er tyre’ is closed to new replies.