Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What extra stuffdo you stuff In your bike bag when flying?
  • craig5

Ok so all the tips on packing a bike bag say stuff it up with clothes etc for extra padding etc. Just looked at easy jets policy, which states you can only put a bike in there. No clothes. I’m way under my 32kg weight limit. I’m paranoid now, I have put my helmets, pads, sleeping bag& matt, ride pack down jackets etc in. Who has flown with easy jet before with a bike bag? First time flying away with bike, can’t booked extra hold luggage no space on the transfer. Anybody experienced an airline stripping out your bike bag?

Superficial
    Free Member

Usually the place they weigh it is not the same place they (then) ask you to deposit it. Mine sometimes gains a few pounds in between. I haven’t yet had an aircraft keel to one side or run out of fuel due to unexpected cargo loads.

DanW
    Free Member

Chuck everything in. I think the text is there for arse covering so you don’t complain that your pump/ shoes/ tools scratched your bike and it was the airlines fault.

craig5

Thank god for that. Who did you guys fly with?

stevied
    Free Member

I’m flying with Air Canada and asked what I can pack in the box. They replied saying bike kit can go in like shoes, riding clothing etc.

tomhoward

Never flown with easyjet, (jet2, air Canada rouge and BA recently) but none of them have ever asked me what was in the bag, only if I’d let the air out of the tyres, even carrying a 15lb bike I’m normally within 10% of the 32kg limit (which, btw, isn’t to do with the carrying capacity of the plane, but the carrying capacity of the baggage handlers at the airport, nothing to do with the airline.)

craig5

its only got bike related stuff in apart from the down kit. Fingers crossed eh

GolfChick
    Free Member

tomhoward – was it AirCanada who asked you about the air in your tyres? Just want to know what to expect in 2 n half weeks times!

DanW
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the tyres. The pressure change is a few PSI IIRC. Just reply… “yes” 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

About 9 years ago on a easy jet I had two bikes and some of the bulky lightweight camping gear such as roll mats stufed into one bike bag.

kayak23

Always put my body armour in there, strapped to vulnerable bits of the bike, basically all my riding gear and anything else I can stuff in up to the weight limit.
    Never been picked up on it, Easyjet and other airlines.

Dogsby

Helmet, clothes, shoes, foam roller, flippers, snorkels, masks and anything else I can get in. I flew Easyjet to Spain and back in the summer with no dramas.

Dogsby

stewartc
    Free Member

On the way back, the riding kit, really cant be bothered with that smell coming from my carry on luggage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not much normally as round here I need to fly business to get the 32kg 🙁 if it’s only the transfer that’s the issue just have a separate bag that you out in with the bike on landing (or get a better transfer!)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

soft stuff to make sure it’s up to the full 32kg (or max weight you’ve paid for / allowed).

Last time ours included clothing, curry sauce, Easter eggs, Lego, track pump and other miscellany. I do let most air out of shocks / forks / tubes. I’ve never added weight between check in and oversize baggage drop. Some airports have a scale at the oversize desk.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I use mine like a normal suitcase.
    Everything goes in – Only carry hand luggage
    Makes sense to put small heavy things in hand luggage and bulky light things in the bike bag where possible so as not to go over the weight limit

stevied
    Free Member

Just want to know what to expect in 2 n half weeks times!

I’m off to Whistler 2 weeks this Sat…Can’t wait!!!

tomhoward

Yeah they all asked about the tyres, though I let them down anyway to get them in and out of the bag easier anyway.

Don’t touch the forks or shock though. Ask no questions I shall tell you no lies…. Never had an issue.

One day I will respond to they tyre question with ‘No, have you let the air out of the tyres on the plane?’

I’ve just got back from whistler, still grumpy/holiday blues/jet lag…. Jealous…

craig5

Thank god I gave it one last weigh. 4kg over. All done Le Tour, here I come! Cheers guys

DanW
    Free Member

So that’s 4kg of “hand luggage” which may be otherwise packed between check in and the oversize luggage drop off 😉

GolfChick
    Free Member

Stevied – how long are you going for and are you going with a package or just sorting it all yourself?

stevied
    Free Member

how long are you going for and are you going with a package or just sorting it all yourself?

I’m only doing a week 🙁 and have tagged on to a few mates from Oz who’re flying out from Sydney. Have a house booked in the Village 🙂

When are you going? Seems to be plenty of hotel rooms, as it’s nearly the end of the season, if you’re stuck..

GolfChick
    Free Member

we fly two weeks this friday very early in the morning. Going for two weeks and a day and are staying all complete with Bear back. Cant wait!

mrchrispy

Flying out to Spain just the bike as I’d look up the rules.
    Flying back pretty much everything I had bar the kids as I realised the didnt really give a s**t.

stevied
    Free Member

GC – if you see a Liteville 601 going slow it’s probably me 😳

frogstomp

Easyjet at Gatwick North you don’t even have to take bike bags to the check-in desk now – print your own sticker down by the oversize baggage drop off point.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What extra stuffdo you stuff In your bike bag when flying?’ is closed to new replies.