Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What exactly is interval training?
  • eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Well it's turbo trainer season again and I find myself getting bored pretty quick on it. Can someone please explain how to do interval training. A 45-60min session is about as much as I can handle at the moment, but apart from doing the odd sprints there's little structure whatsoever in my training. Should I be looking at 90+ minutes and getting the heart rate monitor out? Thanks

terrahawk
    Free Member

you should definately get the heart rate monitor out, yes.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if you want to become a fitness bore, yes :o)

Well it's turbo trainer season again

is IS ?? Not in this lifetime…

olib
    Free Member

Interva training is exercise that has breaks between periods of exercise. i.e. ride for 5 minutes slow. Stop for 1 minutes, 5 mins medium, stop, etc.
    Fartlek is speedplay where the pace is varied but the exercise constant, 5 mins easy, 2 hard, 5 medium, 2 easy, 3 hard etc.
    There should be ideas on the web.
    cheers
    oli

AndyP
    Free Member

Interva training is exercise that has breaks between periods of exercise. i.e. ride for 5 minutes slow. Stop for 1 minutes, 5 mins medium, stop, etc.
    ideally don't 'stop' between intervals as above, but (for cycling) pedal easy instead.
    and no, you don't need to do 90 mins for an interval session.

a nice one is the '10 to 2 descending ladder'
    progressive warmup (15 mins or so)
    10 minutes at threshold
    2 mins easy
    8 minutes at threshold
    2 mins easy
    6 mins at threshold
    2 mins easy
    4 mins at threshold
    2 mins easy
    2 mins at threshold
    10 mins warmdown.

total just over an hour.

or…taking it to extremes – google 'tabata' and meet my friend pain.

uplink
    Free Member

What exactly is interval training?

To the point of puking & then back again, repeat until actual puking occurs, wipe your face & start again 🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

I'd really advise doing some proper research in order to plan your turbo sessions. What do you want to develop? Speed, strength, pedalling efficiency? You can waste a lot of time pedalling away without actually achieving any of your goals to be honest.

belgianbob

Steer clear of Tabata, mate. YES it's effective, but if you don't know what intervals are, you're not going to be at the sort of elite level where it'll be any more beneficial than just doing a less intense set of exercises.
    Just my $0.2, of course.

i_am_JC
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say that interval training is the work of the devil?

RepacK
    Free Member

Its pain & lots of it but it will make you quick!

Frizzer
    Free Member

Why oh why did I google "Tabata"?!

Just had a 4 minute go on my crosstrainer and now feel like my heart is going to leave my body in an "Alien" chestburster stylee!
    Never has 4 minutes seemed so long 😯

Nezbo
    Free Member

I found this web site a while ago, and use it when i go on the turbo trainer.

It gives you a bleep when you have to change, this workout don't make you sick, just pushes you nicely 🙂

http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/indoor_cycling_workout.php?id=200

Might be useful there are lots of other workouts on there 🙂

domino

I could have done with an online plan in the shed last night, I had to keep waving my piece of paper at the outside security light to see the notes on the paper and the clock on my bike computer.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

LOL, riding in a shed in the dark. Actually, I laugh because I do it too! And to the SFB types – it makes you quick and fit – which makes mountain biking more fun in my opinion. Plus the endorphin release after intervals makes you feel good!

Wiredchops
    Free Member

While there are many different ways of implementing 'intervals' as such. THe theory is that by performing intense period of exercise interspersed with intervals of recovery, you spend a prolonged period in an elevated heart-rate. The idea being that it is more beneficial than a normal exercise session of the same length.
    What level of intensity and how long you should maintain that level is entirely dependent on what you want to achieve. As others have said, look into the different methods and objectives to find out what's best for you.

Si C

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

interval training = exercising a few times a week for a few weeks, then doing nothing for a couple of months.

Just me then? 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

I was just about to type the same:)

plop_pants
    Free Member

Pyramids. Proper interval training (see Simon Burney's CX book). You don't need a heart rate monitor for these as its difficult to focus on one when your eyes are hanging out their sockets.
    I tend to do them when I'm off to the cafe, makes it easier to do when you've got something to look forward to after.

dogmatix

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/article005.htm

the section 'but this was to change' history of interval training from the the 1500m runners who invented it… if you google them sure you will get more info on its origins…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What exactly is interval training?’ is closed to new replies.