Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What events to do this year?
  • SaxonRider

I have ridden bikes almost my whole life, but have not competed or done any sort of event since I was in my late teens. That was almost 30 years ago.

Now, however, I am pretty much back to the same weight I was back then; I am probably fitter (in some ways, at least); and I would really like something to aim for this year.

My interests would include enduro sort of things on the mountain bike, but while I am equally interested in road riding I know almost nothing about what sort of events there are.

Something like the Wentwood 50 is a good example of something that would appeal to me, except that registration was closed before I even heard about it.

So what else should I consider for MTB, road, or both?

ajantom

I would say HOTS, but i think it’s sold out. Though you can put your name on a waiting list for cancellations. Its more of an offroad sportive than a race though.

molgrips
    Free Member

What kind of event specifically? A proper racey race or a big ride with timing?

SaxonRider

What kind of event specifically? A proper racey race or a big ride with timing?

Given the right encouragement (like entering with someone I knew), I could be convinced to go for a proper racey race. That said, I am definitely interested in a big ride with timing.

mooman
    Free Member

There are loads of road sportives about James. A variety of distances too.
    Just look on the British Cycling webpage.

mooman
    Free Member

ps.
    Dont waste your money on a properracey race`.
    I doubt you would get an entry for an actual road race anyways, but even if they did give you a place – with no experience of riding with a proper group … your race would be over before you clipped in.

Try Llandow crits if you do however want a little taster of racing. 30 min races for 4th cats … how hard can it be eh?

djflexure

Have a look at Kielder 101. I did the old 100 twice and for some reason it was a most satisfying event. Involved “going home” which may have contributed to the feel good factor.

SaxonRider

Would you advise riding with a group before entering any road events, Ant?

Hoff

Have been contemplating the same thing over the Christmas break & thinking about this as a starter on Sunday Frozen Devil although I’m thinking it will be very wet

Also looking at a a few of these too UK Cycling Events both MTB & Road

Interested in what else is about & any feedback

mooman
    Free Member

To enter a road race – you would usually have to be a member of a club. Especially if its a popular race like the Betty.

And yes – no way would you want to join a race if you have not even rode with a club. Being shoulder to shoulder, and your front wheel 3″ away from the wheel in front can be a tad nerve wracking at first.

And thats even before mentioning how difficult it is to sprint off at the start, putting yourself in the red, and then trying to stay in the group.

Enter a road sportive James. Whilst not a proper race – there are still lots of very fit guys riding them.

If you interested in joining a road club – then Ajax are a very popular Cardiff club for people getting into cycling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What events to do this year?’ is closed to new replies.