Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What eurostar destination would be best for the alps?
  • lyons
    Free Member

As above, I was told by someone recently that the train is a viable, and cheap option to get to the 3 valleys region. Which station should I usse?

uplink
    Free Member

It may be worth checking carrying your bikes on board [if you are taking bikes]
    IIRC – you need to drop them off the day before & collect them again with a similar delay

Si
    Free Member

Les Arcs be best with train straight through to Bourg Saint Moritz at the base of the mountain

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

you need moutiers for the three valleys area. all resorts (meribel, courchevel, la tania, val thoren, les menuire, and a few more) are within 45-60minutes drive from here.

Bourg saint maurice is the end of the line, and good for les arcs and la plagne.

Not sure if trains run direct during the summer though, I’m pretty sure you’ll need to change in paris. I thought it was only during the ski season you could get from London to the Alps without changing.

lyons
    Free Member

hmmm,

i have done some research an it looks too expensive to me…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was just looking at the same thing. Thought filghts we expensive so priced up driving and the snow train (change in paris). Suddenly, flying looks very affordable!

stevomcd
    Free Member

With the way flight prices have dropped recently, the train looks a lot less competitive. It can still be worth it once you factor in airport transfers, parking, board/ski/bike carriage charges, etc.

As above, Moutiers for 3 Valleys, Aime for La Plagne, Bourg Saint Maurice for Les Arcs, la Rosiere, Sainte Foy and Val d’Isere/Tignes.

Pauly

Yeah, change at Paris for Bourg St Maurice. Takes about 8 or 9 hrs in the summer. In winter there’s the snow train that goes from London to Bourg St Maurice in under 7 hrs! Not sure about needing to take your bike down the day before though. Think it was costing about £175 return which I thought was good, as no transfers or bike build and stripping at either end. Need to do more homework as you can only book about 3 months in advance.

Would be interested to know if anyone has actually done it though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What eurostar destination would be best for the alps?’ is closed to new replies.