Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What espresso machine do I buy ?
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Just had a visit from a customer who was drinking a very nice smelling cup of espresso from the local shop…. which has now put my caffeine cravings into overdrive.

I NEED COFFEE DAMMIT !!!!!

Got a stovetop at home, which whilst makes a perfectly good cup of coffee, I need* to make proper espresso.

What machine do I go for ? Gaggia ?

Something around the £150 mark say.

*no, really, this is an addiction I have, I’ll make no bones about it 😀

freddyg
    Free Member

Unfortunately, you’ll not get a Gaggia for £150. Add a bit more to your budget and you can get a reconditioned one from here: clicky-linky

marsdenman
    Free Member

Baby Gaggia at home – used a least once a day. Love it.
    Quick look on Amazon throws up a couple around £150?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

we got a gaggia classic off amazon for £190, which is a bit over your budget but it’s ace. Use it almost every day.

sharkbait
    Free Member

have you considered a Nespresso? Within budget and may still have the £40 worth of free coffee offer running. Proper impressive.

freddyg
    Free Member

^^^^^^ Do that!!!!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

organic355 – if you can tell me how much it would cost to send it to me in sunny Preston, I’d be very interested.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Hanpresso Wild Hybrid
    You pump up the pressure with a bike pump type action, add hot water and either your own ground espresso or ese pods (around 30p ea). Not mains dependant so can be carried on camping and day trips. Is pretty much my favourite gadget

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

^^^ That is really impressive, but an expensive gadget for a camping trip.

I like the look of this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-RI8327-Prestige-Espresso-Machine/dp/B009CVSTTW/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

Does anyone have any personal experience of owning one ?

Fits my budget as well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Unfortunately, you’ll not get a Gaggia for £150.

Gagia Baby, mine was about £90 off Amazon.

Only problem (can anyone help?) I never seem to be able to get milk hot enough, I steam it untill it just starts to whistle (any longer and it tastes bitter) but it’s just not hot.

Should I nuke the milk before steaming it?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

an expensive gadget for a camping trip.

true, but mine’s lives in my office, comes home when I’m taking time off and travels with me when i might be out of range of decent coffee (eg recent narrow boat trip). As such, much more flexible than mains-bound devices.

grim168
    Free Member

Got a gaggia baby from amazon just before christmas for 100 quid. They have offers now and again. Great coffee but the steam wand is a bit pants. Oh and Preston ain’t sunny at the moment. Looks like a wet pedal to work tonight.

grim168
    Free Member

Apparantly milk has to be cold to froth properly. I just make sure mugs are really hot before hand . I just have a small cup with a drop of cream in.

boblo
    Free Member

Standard STW answer: Casio G Shock, errrm, Audi, errrrm Orange 5, no no, I’ve got it….

Rancilio Silvia… There now 🙂

BTW, Don’t tell anyone but I don’t pi$$ around steam wanding, I just nuke the milk. Turns out laaaaverly for Latte.

klumpy
    Free Member

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

BBSB – good point, I’ll have another look at it.

Just not interested in poncy, frothy milk spuff. Straight espresso only please. 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Has anyone used the bike pump thing? What’s the espresso like? The thing that might compromise it is the heat loss. Does it?

MrSmith
    Free Member

don’t forget the grinder. either a porlex mini hand grinder or an iberital from happy donkey. pre-ground coffee is stale coffee. and if you get the Gaggia throw away the little plastic ‘crema device’ basket and use the normal double basket for proper espresso. the ‘crema device’ basket is a lame attempt to produce some kind of scum on the top of the espresso from supermarket coffee.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Rancilio Silvia… There now

over budget and nothing left over for the grinder, and if you dont want a grinder and use pre-ground low quality coffee it would be like buying a decent MTB to ride towpaths.

BigJohn

Yup. I denied the need for a grinder for years and used pre ground black Lavazza. Then I got an Iberital MC2 (great because it just grinds a cupful) and would not go back. It’s like a frame & fork combo. I’d rather have a good grinder and crap machine than other way round.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’d rather have a good grinder and crap machine than other way round.

but that’s far too sensible and logical for STW. why didn’t you just buy something that looks impressive in the kitchen or is good for one-upmanship when talking to pub bores?

wrecker
    Free Member

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A DELONGHI.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Large espresso by Sharkbait, on Flickr

a very large espresso!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

don’t forget the grinder.

Oh man, I can see this getting expensive.

Just got over my classifieds addiction, and got rid of all the stuff in the shed. 😆

I really do love a good cup of espresso though….

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Has anyone used the bike pump thing? What’s the espresso like? The thing that might compromise it is the heat loss. Does it?

i’ve got an older one that only does pods. pods from here. all a matter of taste, but some better than others. that said, the best (izzo silver pack and moreno red pack for me) are as good as anything i’ve had.
    heat loss – hot water swirled in the bowl then dumped heats the bowl (same for the cup) = no problem.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What espresso machine do I buy ?’ is closed to new replies.