Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What engineered wood flooring?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Is the stuff from Wickes any good?

We want something that is suitable for a reasonable DIYer to be able to lay.

Any good places to buy on the net? Price is a factor so want it to be as cheap as is reasonably practical.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Wickes should be decent stuff. I fitted 35sqm of floors to go, solid engineered type oak in December. it was surprisingly good stuff actually, tongue and groove rather than ‘ click lock’ type. I glued the whole l lot down rather than nailed or screwed as out was a solid floor. I used sika adhesive, I’d recommend a big extractor fan in the doorway though. despite having front and back doors open, after the first day I probably shouldn’t have driven home! in bed that night, Mrs TFM complained that I still stank of fumes on my breath!!!

customer supplied the wood, think they paid around 20psqm ish

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m interested in this as well, I’ll need approx. 50sqm of it in the near future.
    Looking for plain unfinished Oak so I can wax it to suit…
    Its going straight onto a solid concrete floor, not sure what I need to put underneath?

What sort of money do I need to spend to get something nice??

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

you’ll probably need to put a thin liquid screed over your concrete first.

joolsburger
    Free Member

About five years ago I got a oiled solid oak floor from these guys http://www.ukflooringdirect.co.uk/?kw=uk%20wood%20flooring%20direct&mt=p&gclid=CNjVgtSgsbgCFQ_LtAodKgwAuw

Really excellent quality and pretty good value. In terms of laying it -Skirting came off ( I replaced with larger skirting so no need to redecorate) membrane of some sort down, laid a thin ply floor on top of that , then glued the oak to it with flexible uber floor glue.

It has lasted really well and as it’s oiled can just sand and re oil when the time comes.

ransos
    Free Member

Give Howdens a miss – it’s very easily dented.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!! Just for the evening crowd 8)

househusband

Give Howdens a miss – it’s very easily dented.

ransos – which one..?

tthew

I laid Wickes engineered wood floor a few years ago, still looks great. Pretty sure the top veneer is thick enough for 2 goes at sanding too, so should last years, (assuming the spec’s not changed since)

The only problem I had with it was getting it clicked together. It didn’t click like I’ve done cheaper Laminate before, where you slot in at an angle then push it home/flat. It was hammered home like tongue and groove, but there was a locking profile and some bits needed some right battering to properly close up.

Unless I was doing it wrong. 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

Just give this a quick bump!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What engineered wood flooring?’ is closed to new replies.