Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What electric shower or mixer valve should I buy?
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

Will be looking to install a new walk in shower, what’s the best shower option?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Thermostatic mix valve

BigJohn

It depends on your hot water source.

We’ve just moved into a new house that’s got quite a good combi boiler and very good mains water pressure.

As a stopgap, until I re-do the bathroom I replaced the horrid electric shower with a thermostatic bar mixer that combines a bath filler with a shower. It is so good, even I have to turn down both the pressure and the temperature. You get a real hot soaking. I was surprised how good it was and I fit bathrooms as part of my work.

I love a good shower and I cannot bear the electric ones that run off the cold feed. No matter how many amps. The performance drops off massively in winter when the temperature of the water coming through the ground is really cold and you need it really hot to counter a freezing bathroom. All you get is a dribble.

If you have a cylinder for the hot water you will need a pump to get a good shower but you risk emptying the tank. However, a big enough tank and powerful enough pump will usually give you the best shower.

The shower head itself plays a big part in the quality too. And so does having a wide bore hose.

mj27
    Free Member

Grohe thermostatic mixer. Expensive but worth the lack of hassle once fitted. 8 years here, no issues.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Grohe – their kit is well designed /bombproof

sandwicheater

We fitted a Mira one ourselves and has been faultless. We do have a good boiler and pressure in our area.

Can’t find the model we have but looks similar to this;

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/mira-415-combiforce-shower-ev-1434-15250

jota180
    Free Member

We fitted a Trevi boost 12 years ago and it’s still as good as the day it was fitted.
    We’ve had to replace the hose twice, but that’s it, again, not cheap but a great bit of kit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What electric shower or mixer valve should I buy?’ is closed to new replies.