Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What easy to use GPS?
  • ikimbunza
    Free Member

So, i’m looking to buy a GPS to assist me routefinding on long self-supported rides. I’m a bit of a technology luddite and still prefer to rely on printed maps but i feel as though i need something to give me a bit of reassurance and back up. Cash is tight as well…

The Garmin Edge 200 appears to offer the ability plan a route online, download it to the computer and follow a simple arrow display which will keep you on route. This seems to be a good way of complementing the use of maps.

Anyone have an Edge 200? Have i got things right?

Anyone recommend anything better?

Thanks, Chris

marvincooper

I’ve got the Garmin Dakota 10 and it’s great for me. Have used it in the way you describe, creating routes on bikeroutetoaster then downloading to the GPS. Works a treat. You just follow the line on the screen. I went for free UK wide maps, from http://www.openstreetmap.org/ which work fine, though there’s hardly any detail for offroad. If using for offroad you might want an OS map, although I get on OK just following the line.

jam-bo

edge 200 is dead easy to use but not sure i’d try and navigate with it. i just use it for tracking rides and basic speed/distance stats.

poolman
    Free Member

I have a 705 which is tops for info – speed, distance, HR etc.

Mapping is awful as I am too mean to buy the maps (150e) so use the open resource ones. I have yet to find a fire track on it, its rather an expensive compass for mapping as thats all I get.

Also, battery life is pants – 7-8 hours or so. I keep forgetting to recharge so most days it dies on me.

Saying above I do like it, loads of data, something to look at, HR is good for training.

BTW altitude is way off on the 705 – I’ve checked when walking & other GPS s. Shame as I wanted accurate altitudes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What easy to use GPS?’ is closed to new replies.