Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What drop shifters / mech with 11:36 MTB Cassette for CX?
  • slowboydickie

I want to run STI shifters 1 x 10 with a MTB 11:36 cassette and rear mech but have read postings on here saying not compatible.

Another option could be bar mounted 10sp lever shifters with separate drop bar brake levers. Would there works with MTB cassette and mech? What have folks on here found works well?

And while I am here, any cheap CX disc wheel recommendations? Superstar have sold out of the cheapo options. Kinesis look good but for the extra £70 I could get Hope / Stans Iron Cross.

Many thanks
    Rich

STATO
    Free Member

Get any shimano 10sp STI and a 9sp MTB rear mech, probably a shadow version if you want a 36t cassette. MTB 10s mechs are not compatible so no, you cant fit a clutch one.

Wheel, any cheap 29er wheels. Id not call hope cheap!

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Not sure about your wheels as I don’t run disc.

As far as your 1×10 with an mtb cassette I have heard the 9spd mechs work with the new 10spd sti shifters but I have no exprience of this set up (I explored it a bit when I wanted to run a 36 at the back).

My suggestion would be run sram kit and get a RH apex lever as that is compatible with their 10spd road stuff and you can then get a clutch mech which I imagine is something you want running a 1x system. I ended up going sram over bodging shimano stuff as now all my bikes run sram and it makes it easier for carrying spares.

Another bonus of sram stuff is their slogan should be “shifts through shit” because ive ridden it in some horrid conditions and its not missed a beat since it was installed and set up at my LBS.

I wouldnt be comfortable running a bar mounted shifter as you woudl have to get off of the hoods to change gear and you may be riding on something techy at the time.

Northwind

You could fit a long-cage 9-speed Shimano mtb mech to 10-speed road levers. Not guaranteed to work, I don’t think- you can end up with wheel/mech clearance issues. But the ratios etc work and the mech’ll certainly cover it. Medium might even do it.

Though, you might find the gappyness of the cassette more annoying on the road than on mtb, and that 36 is going to give you a very low gear- lower than a typical double setup. Just a thought

slowboydickie

I am thinking of just getting a 12:30 road cassette with STI shifters and running a double.

clubber
    Free Member

You can get a SRAM road shifter with SRAM mtb rear mech and cassette and it’ll work. Plus you can have a clutch mech meaning that 1×10 shouldn’t need a chain guide.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Doesn’t the LX range work with 10 speed road sti?

But as above i think sram would be a better bet.

nikxl
    Free Member

why on earth would you want a 36 rear for cross? the idea is to cover the ground as quickly as possible theres no prizes for riding more. If you are in a 36 you should probably be running.

midlifecrashes

On a Fargo I run 10 speed(5703?)105 stis with 9 speed xt shadow rear mech(772?) and a 105 triple(5703?) front mech. 11-36 10 speed cassette, 48-36-26 xt trekking chainset. All works great.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

SRAM shifters should work with MTB rear mech.
    I’m currently in the process of changing my CX bike from running a double with 11-32 on the back to a 1×10 with a 42t front and 11-28 on the back with a thick-thin chainring, an X0 Type 2 rear mech and Apex shifters.
    The cassette is an Ultegra roadie one.

clubber
    Free Member

I graphed it out and my current set up is 50/34 and 11-28 which gives me pretty spot on range for what I ride though I rarely use the top gears.

If I match that to a 44t chainring with 11-36 10 speed cassette, it gives near identical gaps in the useable gears but effectively loses the top one or two (hardest) gears so it might be a touch undergeared for the road.

njee20
    Free Member

why on earth would you want a 36 rear for cross? the idea is to cover the ground as quickly as possible theres no prizes for riding more. If you are in a 36 you should probably be running.

Because, dependant on ring size, he could end up with a similar low gear to running a double and a closer cassette, SRAM endorse it, they’re testing a CX 1×11 set up.

Nipper99
    Free Member

9 sp med cage XT rear mech will work fine with 10sp STI shifters. Have that set up on my Gryphon with 11/36 out back.

clubber
    Free Member

He hasn’t said anywhere that it’s for CX racing, has he?…

slowboydickie

No its not for racing. It is for bridleway CX in surrey hills, commuting to work (50 miles round trip with panniers) and towing the bairn.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What drop shifters / mech with 11:36 MTB Cassette for CX?’ is closed to new replies.