• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What drop bars?
  • cubist
    Free Member

Just about to convert my Flat barred Planet X Carbon pro to drops so I start people posting on here about what a miserable faced sod I am 😉

Trying to figure out the pros and cons of carbon bars. Anyone care to enlighten me on their experiences?

TiRed

I have the same bars in carbon and alloy on different bikes. Carbon are less rigid and flex by about 0.25-0.5 cm when hard on the drops. I rather like the cushioning and ride without padded gloves and with thin Fizik microtape. By contrast, the alloy bars with the same tape are much less forgiving but I can live with it as I had the bars already – it’s what prompted be to source the carbon ones in the first place.

There is little weight difference, and the pros prefer alloy for rigidity.

mrblobby
    Free Member

There is little weight difference, and the pros prefer alloy for rigidity.

This mostly, and they’re usually adding weight to the bikes to make the weight limit anyway. Starting to see some more carbon though with the integrated stem and bar things like on the Canyon.

I don’t really get the crash damage argument that often goes against carbon bars. Have carbon bars on my MTB and that gets crashed loads 😀

cubist
    Free Member

I don’t really get the crash damage argument that often goes against carbon bars. Have carbon bars on my MTB and that gets crashed loads

That’s what I thought (that the argument about crash damage was a weak one not that you crash loads)

lunge

If you’re moving from flats you may find a shallow/compact drop bar a good start point. The Planet-X stada bars are a good shape, not too heavy and cheap. If you like the shape you can then throw some money at some carbon ones in a similar shape if you so desire, if not, you’ve only lost £15.

This advice is brought to you by someone who bought some £125 carbon bars and then decided he didn’t like the shape…

mrblobby
    Free Member

This advice is brought to you by someone who bought some £125 carbon bars and then decided he didn’t like the shape…

🙂

Most manufacturers do cheap alu versions of their bars (lots out there for less than 30 quid) with the same bend as the more expensive versions, so you can fairly cheaply try a few basic shapes to get a good idea of what you want.

kcal

Shallow drops like FSA Vero are a good starting point too. Alloy though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What drop bars?’ is closed to new replies.