Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what drivetrain cleaner/degreaser??
  • renton
    Free Member

Im after some chain degreaser and cleaner to get rid of all the old oil and crap!!!

washing up liquid isnt working !!

any recommendations please!!

ta

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

try putting in the dish washer.

works for me. but i do soak my chain in oil after.

coatesy
    Free Member

Depends on what lube you’re using, but white spirit works pretty well on most.Jizer’s pretty good too, but won’t look at some wax based lubes.

sam2391
    Free Member

finish line multi degreaser, works really well, pretty harmful so gloves and goggles are a must 😯

ruscle
    Free Member

Any car engine degreaser is best, I use Gunk with my garden broom, once its all had a good spraying push broom against cassette and turn pedals then hose down. Always comes up like new.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just rinse mine off with the rest of the bike (so hot water + car wash&wax), then spray libberaly with GT85/TF2 spray/WD40, wipe with cloth untill dry then lube.

justatheory
    Free Member

Fenwick’s is good. You can dilute it and make a bike cleaner with it too.

neninja
    Free Member

I take my cassette, chain and crankset off the bike every so often and soak them in white spirit or Jizer.

I don’t like lathering degreaser on the cassette or crankset while in situ as some it is likely to get into the hub/bb bearings I would have thought.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

jizer

prezet
    Free Member

Anyone use those chain cleaning devices? The ones that you run the chain through to clean them?

My Muc-Off one just died after about 6 months use – anyone recommend a replacement one that’ll last?

strike
    Free Member

Halford citris degreaser, in the chain bath and Lidl spray engine-degreaser for the rings/cassette etc

neninja
    Free Member

I stopped using the chain cleaning gizmo I’ve got. I found it more effective to use a quick link so I can take the chain off and drop it in a jam jar with white spirit and give it a shake.

FuzzyWuzzy

Even with a missing link it’s way faster to use a chain cleaner device, OK once every couple of months it might be worth taking the chain off and soaking but my device gets it pretty spotless. My current one is a finishline green one and works better than others I’ve used.

As for degreaser then finishline again for me (the citrus one works well). Recently tried the fenwicks foaming degreaser but it’s a bit weird, foams up hugely but doesn’t seem to penetrate any better than an aerosol degreaser, the foam disappears in a couple of seconds to and it doesn’t actually seem to degrease very well.

P20

Fenwicks is good. Just dilute it less. I use about 10% for general bike cleaning and 25-30% for the drivetrain. A small scrubbing brush and chain cleaning device has always worked

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

“Fenwick’s is good. You can dilute it and make a bike cleaner with it too.” yes not bad stuff

BUT I find Juice Lube supper Gnarl is a bit better, also you dilute it to make a good all over frame cleaner.

Prezet’s try a BBB chain bath cleaner, avg price but is going well bit better than the cyclus chain bath that I used.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what drivetrain cleaner/degreaser??’ is closed to new replies.