Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What downtube protection?
  • onedpete
    Free Member

So I’m awaiting my new Bird Aeris’ imminent arrival and am wondering about the best way to keep it looking it’s best…. I was gonna helitape a few areas, but was thinking about a rockguardz downtube protector as I see they’ve just released one for the 145.Bit pricey, but are they worth it? Anyone used them before? Other options are lizard skins downtube protector or maybe All Mountain Style one, but not sure how much impact protection they’d provide… Thoughts please?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have a Rockguard on the Bronson, had them on capra and SB66 as well, really good, take some abuse.

I reckon they look good too.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

I would second the Rockguardz. Have one on my capra. Feel a lot more confident having it on than without it. Looks the business as well. Minimal outlay for a potential expensive rock strike.

onedpete
    Free Member

And do the rockguardz stay put? Also, do you helitape underneath to stop the guard marking the paint?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes to both.

bigfoot
    Free Member

my rockguard has marked the paint quite a bit as i just put it straight on after putting a small dent in the downtube when the bike was about a week old. after 2 1/2 years the rockguard is quite battered with a few chuncks missing but its protected the downtube well.

lardman
    Free Member

Bit of worn tyre, zip tiesd to the down tube. Free, effective and durable. But maybe not pretty enough for the bike pimps. That’s what I do.

psycorp
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

not as gnar as the above, but Shelter tape is 3 times as thick as normal heli tape (1.2mm).

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=402

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Effetto-Mariposa-Shelter-Tape_78771.htm

I got the “off road pack” which comes with 2 strips, each long enough to do pretty much the whole underside of a downtube so protected 2 bikes.

Rickos
    Free Member

I used 3M self amalgamating tape on a previous bike. Looked fine.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve a rock guard, it’s so solid, when it’s not even on the bike I reckon you could hit it with a hammer and not damage it.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve a rock guard, it’s so solid, when it’s not even on the bike I reckon you could hit it with a hammer and not damage it.

onedpete
    Free Member

Hmmm… Seems like there’s a whole Lotta love for the Rockguardz…. I have seen tyres strapped to downtube before, but not on my nice shiny new build

mikeyd
    Free Member

onedpete
    Free Member

Sorry, for some reason only half my post worked!!??… Maybe after 6 months or so, but think I’ll go for something a bit smarter looking initially

onedpete
    Free Member

And again! What’s going on here, keeps cutting off half my post??

onedpete
    Free Member

That shelter tape looks good, I was looking at it yesterday actually, read somewhere that it is covered in little white shelter logos though? I’ve actually picked up a roll of Gorilla clear repair tape cheap after reading a few peeps recommending it. Anyone used it?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What downtube protection?’ is closed to new replies.