• This topic has 25 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What double cab pick up for around £8K?
  • ganic
    Free Member

I’m looking to change my car, following a few nice cars im at the point where my annual mileage (6Kish) and usage (going to the office and then loading bikes in at weekends), means im over expensive depreciating ornaments sat on the drive. I do like my current car, its fast etc, but the reality is that i cant actually drive it fast due to traffic etc and it seems abit pointless to have it.

So, a more practical vehicle is needed, i want a double cab pick up. I know theres Isuzu, Toyota Hi lux, Nissan Navara, etc. I’ll defiantly want one second hand, does anybody have an recommendations? Things to watch out for etc? Appreciate ride quality on road might be that fantastic.

Thanks

There’s a lot of haters on here, so good luck.

At that price point, you aren’t going to get anything amazing – probably a high miler, so the stock answer would be a Hilux – they seemingly just keep going. I’m not a fan though – stupid long gearstick, underpowered engines, low car-like seats in a truck???

Personally, I’m a Navara fan, but you’d be looking at an older one with a list of potential problems. L200’s are rubbish, older Isuzu’s are very agricultural (and slow), the newer ones are quite nice, but out of price range.

Maybe consider an older Ford Ranger – fairly basic inside, but a great truck – I had one a few years ago.

Do not even consider a Great Wall, or Ssang Yong

This is similar to what I had. It has leather & aircon.

Ranger

There’s space in the dash for a nice double din head unit too, if you want sat-nav/a smart stereo

Or one with a hardtop

Another Ranger

br
    Free Member

So, a more practical vehicle is needed, i want a double cab pick up.[/I]

I don’t find them practical for normal usage; family, single-driver, carrying bikes etc.

Little space inside, anything in/on the bed isn’t secure, bikes are too long for the bed so need hanging over the tailgate, poor on fuel etc.

Better with either a van or a car/4×4 with a towbar rack.

somouk
    Free Member

I would go for a cheap estate over a pickup for what you want. Something like an older Audi A6 or 5 series.

If it has to be a pickup then a ranger would be a good buy at that price but it will have had a hard life most likely.

legend
    Free Member

I don’t find them practical for normal usage; family, single-driver, carrying bikes etc

I assume by “practical” the OP really just means “I want a big 4×4”

cornholio98
    Free Member

I live in the land of pick up trucks (TX)…

If you want a double cab make sure it has a full sized back seat (legroom) otherwise it will be uncomfortable for your passengers.

For the cargo area, depending on the model this may just be shortened to make space for the second row of seats so it will become a bit less usable. If you actually think you are going to be moving anything then you will want a longer wheelbase. If you don’t want your stuff to get wet/stolen then some kind of cover at the back would also be required.

Apparently according to the guys I work with, if you plan on towing then an automatic is a must but obviously this means different off road capabilities. none of them would consider a truck with less than a 3.5L engine but then they also don’t mind getting 17 mpg….

One other thing to note is that parking will be more difficult and if you are in traffic it can be hard to see cars close to you the sides as you are that much higher than them.

Also remember that you are looking to buy a vehicle that has lost maybe 75% of its value (and trucks seem to hold value better than cars) and has probably been used as a working vehicle.

I do quite like a pick up but they are neither practical or affordable for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you ruled out a crew cab van?

They are just brilliant for combining family duties and traveling with bikes out of temptation’s way.

Modern ones are pretty nice to drive too.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I assume by “practical” the OP really just means “I want a big 4×4”

You say that like it’s a bad thing too. 😐
    I don’t think the pick up is ideal for biking duties as the bed is too short to fit bikes in, and then there’s the tea leaf issue.
    If it’s mainly biking, I think a van would be your best option.
    I’d have a Hi Lux in a flash though.
    Otherwise if 4×4 is what you want, look at the Toyota Colorado or Landcruiser. Bikes in the back in a secure environment and comfortable drives.
    At £8k, most 4x4s will have high mileage and probably hard lives.
    Go for it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Have a look at American imports only pickup s worth it. The uk versions of a pickup loose any good points and keep bad points.

benp1

Crewcab/kombi/day van might be easier day to day?

If you want a pick-up, just get a pick-up.

I’ve nowt against vans, might even get one myself at some point, but STW always has a massive hard-on for them and an unjustified hatred for pick-up’s.

I’m sure you are intelligent enough to be able to work out what one can do that the other can’t and vice versa

pirahna
    Free Member

I looked at pickups before buying my Caddy and would have bought one but, the load space is lot smaller than a small van.

With a Truckman on the back you won’t be able to stand a bike up. You might be able to lie a couple down with the wheels off but then you’ve got the problem of them rattling around with no useful tie down points. The other option is a tow bar mounted rack. But then you’ve got a truck as long as a ship and still have the security worry of the bikes on the outside.

If you do decide to get one make sure you try and load the bikes up before you buy.

Not that hard carrying 5 bikes in a pick-up

That said, if your sole purpose is carrying bikes, a van is more practical

windyg
    Free Member

I have both van(Peugeot Partner) and a pickup(Navara)
    The pickup is fine for chucking a single bike in the back and bungee cords to hold it down, we use a towbar rack for 3 bikes. Mine is well specc’d so has all the toys fitted and is quite nice for just general use and is always used for holidays it’s been all over France without issues, you get used to the size quickly.
    The van for biking is nice as it does give the extra security and easily stores spare kit and acts as a base to get changed etc but the downside is it only seats 3, is noisy and well it’s still just a van.

perchypanther
    Free Member

If only there were some kind of vehicle which was kind of like a Navara but had a bigger load space that was more secure, like a van.

That was available second hand for about £8K and was much less likely to have received commercial level abuse?

Pity such a thing doesn’t exist…..

windyg
    Free Member

I was going to get a Pathfinder but it’s double the road tax.

AlexSimon

windyg – Member

I was going to get a Pathfinder but it’s double the road tax. I’m no fan of guzzling vehicles, but £145 per year is a drop in the ocean of vehicle running costs imo.

jamesfts
    Free Member

At that price I’d be looking at a Ford Ranger. I’d be going for one of the last of the old shape and buy on condition rather than milage – it’s what I’ll be doing when replacing our ageing L200 with in the next 12 months.

Just to echo a lot of what has already been said, if you’re buying it just for bike transport then a van or big estate would be better option.

A pickup without back/canopy isn’t secure (you can usually find an anchor point to lock bikes to) they are super easy to just chuck a couple of bikes in and be on your way though. With a canopy you’ll have a bit better security but will struggle to get a bike in the back with both wheels on (my hardtail will fit but my big bike won’t as it’s too long).

As long as you’re happy driving something slow, basic, expensive to run and a pain in arse to manoeuvre in small spaces you’ll be ok 😉 That being said I love ours and wouldn’t be without a pickup but wouldn’t have one as a daily driver/only car.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Chap at work loves his pick ups. He had a Navara for years (06plate) but rust was a huge issue. He had it repaired and sold it on. Bought a Toyota HiLux which he says is far better. For the mileage you do I would go for a Hilux.

ganic
    Free Member

Some great suggestions, not sure i want a van, it’ll mostly be just my bikes that i transport, probably one at a time. Dont mind taking the front wheel off for transporting it either. I dont do that many miles but would be my only car, although mrs has hers. Thought about an extra cab rather than a double cab to give more load space, but that Nissan Pathfinder looks great, alot of vehicle though as i dont have kids.

That was why i was looking at pick up with the load cover/canopy on it.

3 bikes and kit plus up to 5 adults

[url=https://flic.kr/p/jRck3e]Untitled[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

And that’s with a ridiculously impractically shaped back on

[url=https://flic.kr/p/z5BoCE]imag0127fz[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

pictonroad

Some great suggestions, not sure i want a van, it’ll mostly be just my bikes that i transport, probably one at a time.

Saves having to take the front wheel off.

NZCol

Why don’t you buy a hatchback then ? Honestly, a pick up is for getting somewhere usually rough so has clearance and they are not massively useful or nice to drive.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

He’s got an itch he needs to scratch NZCol. The Navara is a nice truck, go for the top of the range models, leather, auto etc

NZCol

Fair point. Fwiw I had a $5k hilux for a while which was my go to vehicle – sat in the driveway was a new T5 and a 993 in the garage ! Loved the hilux though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What double cab pick up for around £8K?’ is closed to new replies.