Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What dog?
  • TheFlyingOx

Not an “oh, it’s Christmas, let’s make an irresponsible purchase” thread.

We’ve been thinking about a dog for a few years now. Wife has had them in the past, and when her mum became ill we had her family dog for the last couple of years of his life, so we have experience. Golden Retriever, BTW, and he was magical:

Our situation is:
    I work on a 5-week rotation – two weeks away, three weeks at home.
    Wife works Mon-Wed every week.
    2-year old son who is absolutely besotted with every dog he meets.
    We live in the sticks and have miles upon miles of walking & open space on our doorstep, plus a beach within a couple of miles for doggy swims.
    Dog walker in village is available and has a good reputation, would likely be required 3 days a week, 2 weeks out of every 5.

I was thinking a Viszla or Labrador, but the Viszla at least seems to HATE being left alone. Wife would like another Retriever or a German Pointer (other family members have one), but again they appear to be prone to destruction if left alone.

Anyone got any ideas what might be suitable, given the above?

TheFlyingOx

Oh, and the wife stipulates the dog must be “cuddly”.

ontor
    Free Member

Our black lab from gundog stock is awesome.

HB47

Easy – Labradoodle – we have three kids ( well now young adults ) and Tess the labradoodle – she is the best bit of the family.

They have the temperament of a labrador , so will sleep all day but don’t shed hair in the same way.

MrNero50
    Free Member

Working Cocker. Doesn’t mind been left alone for upto 4 hours, never destroyed anything and loves a cuddle.

[/url] image by MrNero50, on Flickr[/img]

tom200

Rescue a mongrel, “right” on several levels. Pedigree dogs have far more problems.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, a Wocker would hit the spot! Nice hound, MrN. Not from North Hants by any chance? Looks very much like one I know.

windydave13
    Free Member

My sisters Black Lab German pointer cross

[url=https://flic.kr/p/mJqTkk]Mansel Bath[/url] by windydave13, on Flickr

5thElefant
    Free Member

We’ve got two vizslas and yes, you can’t leave them alone. They bond and won’t let you out of their sight. That has it’s advantages, unless you want to leave them alone. They’d go mental.

andyl
    Free Member

i know of a lab cross collie that needs a home if you are anywhere near Wiltshire/Bristol.

OH says it’s full of energy and would make a good trail dog.

MrNero50
    Free Member

Yep, a Wocker would hit the spot! Nice hound, MrN. Not from North Hants by any chance? Looks very much like one I know.

Thanks Captain, no we’re in North Yorks.

benp1

My lab is happy to spend all day at home on his own. Doesn’t happen much these days but he just sleeps!

And BRILLIANT with my kids

TheFlyingOx

i know of a lab cross collie that needs a home if you are anywhere near Wiltshire/Bristol.

Unfortunately not. We’re in Fife.

That lab/pointer cross looks interesting. Where would one look for non-pedigree dogs?

devs
    Free Member

I’ve got a collie lurcher which I (obviously) think is the absolute bees knees. Fast as **** and will run all day. Brilliant temperament as in soft as shite with everyone and thing. Talk about never caught a rabbit, he lets them go so he can chase them again. Not a guard dog, cries with joy when any one comes to the gate. He loves cuddles but might be a bit skinny for your OH. My pal has just got a cross lab/flat coat retriever. It is awesome but too young to see what it will be like yet. If I was getting another dog I would seriously consider one of them as it is too cute and very intelligent. Magic temperament.

busydog
    Free Member

Easy – Labradoodle

Second that choice. We have had 3 and they are truly great dogs. Bright, kid-friendly, very engaging. I spent 25 years with German Shepherds and loved them all, but wouldn’t go back after having the doodles.

Jase
    Free Member

Labradoodle, AKA mongrel

cr500dom
    Free Member

We have Sharpei`s, and they are really cool, don’t moult too much, don’t need a huge amount of exercise, happy left alone during the day without destroying anything.

We Were away the other weekend, Friday through sunday, and she was happy at home with friends coming in to feed and walk her twice a day.

They are not without problems but they are lovely dogs with great temperament.

I`d have another Springer / Lab cross too, that was my favourite dog of all time, he was ace.

innit_gareth
    Free Member

I’d go for a lab over a viszla. On the whole less nervy and highly strung. If a big requirement was a dog to go biking with then I’d choose the viszla.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Jack Russell. Best dogs ever.

ton

black lab. our bitch is 6 and is awesome. we had a dog too, he was 13.
    probably the friendliest breed of dog ever I reckon.

sandwicheater

We have a Lab/Springer cross (spingador), brilliant dog. Will happily sit by the fire for two days in the depth of winter or spend 9 hours doing the three peaks.

Good starting point is pets4homes to give you an idea of costs/breeders in your area.

[/url]image by sandwicheater1, on Flickr[/img]

Drac

Cuddly you say?

seadragon
    Free Member

Could spend ages deciding I am sure, we all have our opinions.

Viszla’s and the other ”point/hunt/retrieve” breeds dont like being on their own in my experience. Our GSP trashed the house and also barked like mad, even when she had other dogs with her. They are lovely dogs however and good with other dogs, kids etc etc.

We currently have a French Bulldog and a Border Terrier. The Frenchie breed is loving, with a personality second to none, but the BT is probably more your style. Terriers are bit more independant but still loving and loyal but also great personality too (mine huffs at me when she doesnt get a treat on demand, or if I have annoyed her in some way).

joolsburger
    Free Member

We’ve been please with our doodle

I’d always suggest getting two dogs, they like company..

anagallis_arvensis

Lurcher …..end of thread
    No ped dog health problems and will cost about 1/5 of what you would spend on a workinglabrspockerdoodledandy

cr500dom
    Free Member

sandwicheater, that brings back fond memories, I`d have another one tomorrow

cr500dom
    Free Member

Dexter (Sadly no longer here) and Rosie as a pup

PePPeR

I’ve a pedigree springer who I adore, but he’s caused me so many problems I’ve gone for a mutt this time, my springers the Dad and the mum is a springer/Beagle.

What an awesome puppy, a bit more independent than my old Lad, but so sweet, at 5 months old she’s halfway trained already and will continue to go from strength to strength!

Oh and females have far far less genetic issues than males!

anagallis_arvensis

How does that work then?

Sandwich

Cuddly dog was it (he is small for his breed mind at 25kg)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/pQp4FA]A Cuddly Hound[/url] by Hamster, on Flickr

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What dog?’ is closed to new replies.