Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • what does whale taste like..?
  • yunki
    Free Member

an old schoolfriend on facebook has posted that they are having whale and chips tonight..

It sounds pretty appealing right at this minute.. I’m imagining a kind of fattier bellypork, already self seasoned with a musky spicy tang from the Ambergris..

omnomnomnom

smg13
    Free Member

Swan

piemonster

chicken

scaredypants

sperm ?

beej

I had a taste of a whale burger in Norway. Strong flavour, reminded me of liver. Then again, it may have been horse.

yodagoat
    Free Member

It has a really strong flavour and quite a pungent smell quite unique to whale.

househusband

Best steak I’ve ever had in my life.

Had it in Bergen, Norway this summer – when in Rome, etc. Didn’t think it was a red meat, but whales are mammals.

yodagoat
    Free Member

You liked it eh? I tried it in a sort of sausage, it was OK but I wouldn’t have it again.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

As per Beej; once had it from a tin that a Norwegian student I lived with back in the 90’s brought over.

It was ok, wouldn’t go looking for it again but I’ll try anything once.

yunki
    Free Member

a pungent smell quite unique to whale.

Another mate was living in a mahoosive boarding house in town that had about 7 eastern European labourers squeezed into each single room.. I remember being round there one evening and they were frying something that had a very unique and pungent musky aroma..

For some reason I was instantly put in mind of Sea Lions..

I’d done a bucketload of LSD that evening though, so it may well have been onions that they were frying for all I know.. I couldn’t find the words to ask at the time..

househusband

Guess it may depend on how it’s served – this was simply done in butter with potato and vegetables:

(Facebook pic so dunno if all can see.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

From here it smells.

Can you put the extractor fan on please, ta.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I don’t have an issue with folk eating it to be honest, the issue is whether its done sustainably; nowt worse than folk who put value systems on what animals its alright to kill/not kill and eat

yunki
    Free Member

nowt worse than folk who put value systems on whats animals its alright to kill/not kill and eat

hmmmm.. nowt worse..? not completely sure about that but I can understand the sentiment 😀

yodagoat
    Free Member

It was more the smell over the taste that put me off.

thepurist

A Norwegian mate of mine had a T shirt with a pic of a whale and the slogan “Intelligent food for intelligent people”. Got him into a few heated discussions in the uni bar.

yunki
    Free Member

“Intelligent food for intelligent people”

You are what you eat…

CountZero

yunki – Member
    “Intelligent food for intelligent people”
    You are what you eat…

Orcas would agree with that. Although, they’re not whales, but dolphins. Splitting hares, still Cetacea, so probably at least as intelligent as many on here… 😈

JCL
    Free Member

I don’t have an issue with folk eating it to be honest, the issue is whether its done sustainably; nowt worse than folk who put value systems on what animals its alright to kill/not kill and eat

Yeah those people who say human bred farm animals are different to intelligent ocean going mammals, intrinsic to the ecology of the oceans, shot with exploding harpoons and dragged alive for long periods of time behind ships are ignorant idiots.
    🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Eaten unintentionally: like beef.

darrell
    Free Member

eaten fairly regularly here in Norway. Although it used to be a staple of the “working class” diet back in the days but now not so in favour.
    Cook it like beef – similar texture and it tastes a bit like beef but with a slight sea flavour and a hint of venison

its okay but i wouldnt go out of my way to eat it too often.

Its much better if its fresh, the frozen stuff aint too great

We always offer it to visitors from the UK. No takers yet 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘what does whale taste like..?’ is closed to new replies.