Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What does the future hold…..
  • Gotama
    Free Member

In the market for some new forks and dithering….What is the axle standard going to be? Looking at 150mm fox 32 or Revelation. Revelation seem to be in 20mm still with a 15mm option for some in 2011, whereas Fox appear to be 15mm only. I seem to recall the Easton Haven wheelset is 15mm so is that the standard that is likely to win through or is a 20mm fork a better bet. Presumably the 20mm will be slightly stiffer but probably not noticeable in everyday riding.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a deep and intense philosophical discussion which might run to hundreds of posts.

I'm quite disappointed.

I'd quite like a hovercar. I think they're well overdue.

clubber
    Free Member

If I had to put money on it, I'd say that 15mm will become the XC/trail standard and 20mm for DH/FR (It's pretty much like that already but as the OP stated, 20mm is on some more trail orientated forks like Revs as a hangover to pre-15mm).

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Hoverbike would be nice…something to get me safely down the hills I've just climbed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I suspect we'll see both for a while yet, and to be honest, as long as your hub and fork work together your unlikely to replace one before the other. Can't see DH bikes adopting a less stiff standard, and TBH I still dont quite get the 15mm standard, not sure why they couldn't stick with 20x110mm hubs and just do their funny axel tightening gubbins anyway, I suspect it had more to do with not wanting to have to produce 20mm crowns and narrower XC ones than any real reason for the end user.

Gotama
    Free Member

Fair enough, nowt to worry about then apart from checking if my Pro2s can be converted to 15mm. Guess its back to dithering whether i like black with rockshox on the side or white with fox on the side then 😕 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do you think there'll ever be a boy who can swim faster than a shark?

Northwind

It does look like 15mm is going to win, despite being the less good standard, ah well. The new Maxle Lite 20mm is lighter than the Fox 15mm system as well as stiffer, there's no pluses to 15mm at all with that in mind other than that the hubs can be smaller, though in practice we mostly end up with convertibles anyway. Another victory for multiple standards 😛

elaineanne
    Free Member

what does the future hold….. sorry couldnt resist
    The futures brite…the futures 'ORANGE' !…………..orange five rider 😉

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Gotama – Member

Fair enough, nowt to worry about then apart from checking if my Pro2s can be converted to 15mm.

They can. Hope Pro 2s can be (REALLY easily) converted to 15mm, 20mm or even 9mm – you just need the right adapters. I do like that about Hope hubs 🙂

rs
    Free Member

what kind of suspension would work best on a hoverbike?

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Oh and yes, I totally agree that the hovercar is well overdue – along with robot servant monkeys. I think both would add significantly to my quality of life…

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I hope that one day **** in public will be acceptable, then I won't feel such an outcast

rubberneck
    Free Member

15mm bolt through, even on xc,,,,,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What does the future hold…..’ is closed to new replies.