Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What does Music Magpie do with all the old crap….
  • PrinceJohn

That people send them? Is the 2nd hand DVD & CD market enough for them to make money from?

Are they praying on people’s laziness & doing lots of micro – transactions?

jonjones262
    Free Member

they sell them 2nd hand on Amazon for the more than the 10p they paid you

CountZero

There’s a shop in Chippenham called Magpie which buys and sells vinyl, it’s not unusual to see slightly dog-eared albums going for £12-14, CD’s and DVD’s three to four quid.
    I’m thinking of digging out some of my old vinyl and CD’s and taking them up, might make £50 or so quid on them.

maccruiskeen

I’m thinking of digging out some of my old vinyl and CD’s and taking them up, might make £50 or so quid on them.

Depends what they mean by ‘buy’ – sometimes shops dealing with secondhand vinyl / CDs give shop credit rather than cash for stuff you bring in.

Lots of options for Music Magpie to make money – buy for less than they sell for obviously, they encourage people to send them job lots of stuff but they sell items individually , also encouraging people to lump stuff together in large lots means there will be rare and expensive gem amongst them sometimes.

They’re also reputedly slow payers and in large volumes paying late is a way of making money in its own right – Tesco funded its expansion form the money it made from paying its suppliers late.

Theres another trick too- if you send them stuff they don’t have to accept it and pay you for it, but if they don’t accept it….. they keep it anyway, they don’t send refused items back.

Oh… and they’re also really quite vociferous deleters of reviews 🙂

spud-face

I convinced myself that That’s Entertainment must be their retail arm, considering how many of those shops were springing up. No idea whether it actually is or not. By all accounts they’re also quick to reduce payment if they consider anything to be in poor condition. Even if they’re only paying tenpence a pop, they must end up with a load of unsellable shit (there’s probably a warehouse/landfill somewhere filled entirely with Bryan Adams Waking Up The Neighbours cds)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I went through the process when we emigrated having ripped all the CD’s already. After it all I had 3 boxes of CD’s and DVD’s to go (didn’t have the DVD’s ripped) I was going to get a grand total of about 60 quid for all of it, instead I got a pile of big cd wallets shoved everything in there and chucked them in the shipping. Still put some of the DVD’s on and slowly getting through ripping them all.

rocketman
    Free Member

They’re also reputedly slow payers

Have sent them £60-70-80 worth a few times and they’ve paid up promptly no probs. Pretty quick really considering they must open every single fricken box to see if the CD/DVD is actually in there

Smudger666

I used MM once when I digitised my CDs a while ago – scanned the barcodes and they were all pretty much 30p, 30p, 30 p. And so on, until I scanned a guilty pleasure….Airhead – ‘Boing’ – £5.50! Wtf!

Anyways, quick payment and it got rid of some clutter.

DezB
    Free Member

Bloody hell, Airhead! Funny how the girls you fancy never fancy you..! 😆

No way I’d sell my CDs for 30p a shot. S’my life in that cabinet.

toby1

It does make a profit, they run stores on all major platforms under various names.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What does Music Magpie do with all the old crap….’ is closed to new replies.