Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • What does mtbing do to your body?
  • hora
    Free Member

Thrustyjust as I said to Pook of this Shire. I can ride a hell of alot quicker however you should always hold something back, because riding at 100% means one day you’ll be off the bike and work for weeks. That and not being able to walk, wash and dress properly.

Its also nice knowing that every so often you can visit this speed then smile.

Why end up stopping riding before your 50 due to busting up your knees, or shoulder etc?

brooess
    Free Member

Well I’m back in hospital again later this week to get my wrist repaired this time. In 2007 it was a knackered collarbone and 2008 a knackered scapula. In total after this next op I’ll have 5 scars from riding bikes.
    MTBing got me through a very stressful period in my life and has brought me some brilliant friendships, taken me all round the UK and kept me far fitter and stronger than most UK males aged 42 so, overall, despite being temporarily broken again, I think my body is better off…

To the OP – don’t knacker yourself in the long-term for the sake of a short-term fix would be my advice…

Bunnyhop

one day you’ll be off the bike and work for weeks.

Or possibly months 🙁

brooess – too late I’m already knackered and old, time isn’t on my side. Good luck with your op.

Northwind

Re bones… I’ve got osteoperosis, and the doctors instantly go down a checklist that goes:

Anorexic?
    Cyclist?
    Coeliac?

There might be others. Coeliac for me. But I got read the riot act when I took up cycling, to stay on top of calcium intake etc, upped my meds for it etc to compensate.

We worry about dehudration, salt and sugar but we sweat out a buttload of calcium when we ride apparently and nobody ever thinks about it. And mtb isn’t a high enough impact sport to compensate. Luckily a lot of recovery drinks are milk based

Clover

I’m fitter than I have ever been. But also have a few more scars…

I suspect that doing stuff that keeps you from going mental and also improves your muscle mass slows down ageing. There was a study of cyclists and the ones who were still doing longish fastish rides in their 70s had no indicators of ageing (they do measure reasonably everyday things like how fast you get out of a chair… not your sprint times or anything sporty). So I reckon I’m adding muscle now (in my 40s) so the decline will be slower later on…

Be careful that you’re not being treated as a precious unbreakable girl… sit down, have a nice cup of tea and do some needlework dear. The reaction to that female rugby player who carried on playing with a broken nose is an indicator that expectations are still slightly different.

Oh, and I expect you’re taking lots of calcium and Vit D3?

Bunnyhop

Clover and Northwind – interesting.

Knitting is one of my new hobbies but it just doesn’t give me that Adrenalin buzz.

Yes on calcium and trying to get out into this wonderful sunshine while I can.

hora
    Free Member

Northwind I eat natural yoghurt and milk daily. I guess I never stopped liking dairy from childhood… feel for those who cant eat dairy though 🙁

perthmtb
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure doing rough & rocky trails on a hardtail contributed to my slipped disc, but then it was probably the last straw after a lifetime of abuse. Anyway the positives must outweigh the negatives for me as I’m back on the bike again, though it’s full suspension only now and I avoid the really jarring trails.

hora
    Free Member

What does it do to my body?

Forget that. It keeps me off anti depressents and sane*.

Thats priceless.

*As long as I dont leave a mechanical fix till Friday 7pm

epicyclo

I reckon mtbing is good for your body overall.

But crashing is a good way to do permanent damage.

mikertroid
    Free Member

A dislocated collarbone, aggravated a previous neck injury thru whiplash and scarring on legs and arms. Untold disputes throughout my marriage.

Fitter than I’ve ever been at nearly 42. Brilliant for my mental state (so long as I keep riding-can’t handle days off!) and saves me from the boredom of the gym.

I guess as I get older I’ll progress to more road-riding/gentle trails but as of now that’s not an option!

molgrips
    Free Member

We worry about dehudration, salt and sugar but we sweat out a buttload of calcium when we ride apparently and nobody ever thinks about it

Interesting. Don’t some electrolyte drinks/supplements contain calcium too?

hora
    Free Member

I’ve started drinking a pint of milk before every ride. The stuff is amazing (funny that) 8)

loddrik
    Free Member

If I drank a pint of milk before each ride I’d not get much riding done for the uncontrollably violent diarrhea it would induce!!

lunge

Cycling helps me clear my head, though in fairness that’s more sport in general, football and cricket have done the same in the past.

It’s also given me a damn fine pair of legs, albeit with some interesting scares on them. It’s compensated this by giving me the under body of a 12 year old. It’s also given me the tightest and shortest hamstrings and a calves the podiatrist has ever seem, I really should stretch more.

It’s helped my asthma to the point I rarely use my inhaler.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Thrustyjust as I said to Pook of this Shire. I can ride a hell of alot quicker however you should always hold something back, because riding at 100% means one day you’ll be off the bike and work for weeks. That and not being able to walk, wash and dress properly

It wouldn’t be half as much fun, mind you, Hora, if you weren’t elbows out through some singletrack with like minded friends, laughing at line choices and manic decisions.
    Weirdly, my first rib issue was in a Gorrick race, where the bike slid away in a slow section and I hit a tree stump with my back, second was on a night ride and hit a badger, who jumped out the undergrowth on a wide gravel track and third time was last week, where I was pootling along in the massive heatwave last week, pedal was grabbed by a root and threw me into the handlebars. So none actually linked with massive speed and wild abandon. These things can happen, without any prior warning.
    Oh the shoulder dislocation was 4 abreast tanking it down hill into a 1 mtre wide funnel of singletrack at the bottom and I didn’t win. 😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well I’ve got the skin of a 90 year old on my shins, my wrists grumble at me in cold weather, both shoulders make strange noises and I spend most of the year looking like someone with a major self-harm issue.

On the other hand, I’m 65kg, can eat what I want, can wear the same size clothes as when I was 16 (although trousers are a bit tight round the thigh), relatively sane and don’t get out of breath when climbing a flight of stairs, unlike many of my contemporaries.

Oh, and like most things, you get better at crashing with practice…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I owe my life to MTB, or maybe my lifestyle would be more accurate.

When I started again at 28 I was massively over-weight, but more dangerously I was seriously depressed, although I didn’t know it at the time and suffering from stress which meant I only slept for 2-3 hours a night and had uncontrollable spasms. To deal with it I got drunk every weekend and took pills and coke occasionally which didn’t help – finally I developed mild type 2 diabetes – all the hallmarks of a unhappy life that was going to end all too soon and alone.

I got a bike through R2W because it will such a good deal at the time – £1000 bike voucher, for £16 a month over 3 years, although a bought a crap bike from Halfords it got me going – a couple of my mates bought bikes about the same time and headed out on our first ride – the route was about 5 miles around a local nature park, it took 4 stops on the way down, 6 on the way back and a few hours to do it, I could do it in about 30 mins now I’m sure.

At first the real benefit wasn’t the fitness element, although it helped – I guess we all know that when you’re concentrating on not hitting that rock, or not slipping on that mud or going around that stump you can’t think about that meeting, or that target or that psychotic **** in work that wants you dead. Within weeks the binge drinking and drugs stopped – there was NO WAY I wanted to go and get hammered on Friday and Saturday night because it meant no riding the next day.

10 years on and I’m no catwalk model, but I’m very fit by the standards of the average man on the street – perfect blood pressure, a nice low resting heart rate and I’m supple and flexible.

Downsides? Well I’ve got a plate in my left wrist which is a bit sore in the mornings, especially when it’s cold, I’ve lost the tip of my right elbow which is also sore in the mornings, it’s misshapen and I’ve got limited range of movement – but I know I was unlucky there – I’m lucky enough to ride with a big group of friends and I’m the only one who’s really got any long-term injuries. My chest hurts sometimes, I cracked a few ribs so now cartilage grows between them at the joints, I’ve got to throw my shoulders back and puff my chest out and it makes a horrible crack, but doesn’t hurt after that – it goes away for a few weeks. Other than that I get the usual aches and pains, but less than my Wife gets from being a Nurse – on the few occasions when I’ve had to stop riding for a couple of weeks they’ve all gone away so I’m pretty confident if I don’t have another big crash that when I finally do hang up my FiveTens I won’t have any lasting issues.

funkrodent

It gives me an enormous sense of well-being 8)

Goldigger – Member
    It makes my Gooch numb if I spend to long in the saddle.

That’s the beauty of MTB over the darkside, generally you spend less time just sat in the saddle, spinning away and what time you do is broken up by out-of-the-saddle bumpiness 🙂

we sweat out a buttload of calcium when we ride apparently and nobody ever thinks about it

Forget thinking about it, I never even knew that! I drink shed loads of milk anyway. Incredibly, despite smashing up more bikes over the years than I can remember (due to rider incompetence) I’ve yet to break a bone *touches wood (stop sniggering at the back)*

Interesting. Don’t some electrolyte drinks/supplements contain calcium too?

I’ll do some classic half-educated sharing here. I recently read somewhere that most post recovery drinks are no better than a pint of milk. That’s not to say that they’re bad per se, but that you get the same recovery effects from milk (protein, sugars, calcium I guess). Apparently “they” did a load of tests with elite level athletes and the milk performed to the same level. I’ve been drinking a pint of milk after all exercise now for a while and I swear that I don’t feel nearly as beat up, in terms of muscle stiffness, the next day.

Apart from that I’m 43 and the biking is brilliant, keeps me young and my body is in way better shape than it would be without it

Northwind

Since it seems to have raised some interest, this looks like a decent blog on the subject

My source was from my consultant rather than research so I don’t have any firsthand links/studies etc. It’s less of a risk if you have a good diet but again, calcium’s something people overlook in diet. (there’s a suggestion that in normal people, supplements don’t help over and above a good diet- don’t know about that)

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Where does it say it needs to be weight bearing for it to be any good? Does this mean swimming is terrible for you?

Hypermobility means I occasionally dislocate my shoulder going down some rocky stuff. Just need to pop it back in and I can finish riding. It’s sore for a few days after, but nothing some painkillers and rest won’t cure. Weight training usually sorts it out, but I’ve been riding more this year so the upper body wastage is worse.

MTB (cycling in general)means I’ve become more aware of what I eat and more aware of my weight. Both of these are major positives. A lot of people are unaware of how much their diet affects their lives in general.

dragon
    Free Member

Cycling has screwed my hamstrings so I now get back ache if I don’t stretch daily. I think I have hand nerve damage from mtbing which results in the odd pain in my hand. I also get knee pain occasionally from a an old damaged ligament. Otherwise nowt

I have exercise induced asthma which the mountain biking doesn’t help

My asthma is much better controlled if I do exercise. All I can think of is you aren’t fit enough to get a noticeable improvement.

MTBing and cycling in general are great for wellbeing and fitness IMO. And injuries are part of doing sport and exercise, with certain sports more likely to result in certain injuries.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I now have a mental image of bunnyhop engaged in extreme knitting. I must go for a ride to clear my head.

Nico
    Free Member

It ruins your fingernails.

hilldodger
    Free Member

…calcium’s something people overlook in diet

probabaly because there’s so many foodstuffs which supply it, assuming you are a healthy individual with a diet unrestricted by superstition &/or lifestyle choices.

If you need to supplement, look for calcium citrate not carbonate and don’t exceed about 1500-1800mg/day or you risk guts ache

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think unless you crash big time its generally positive, I took it up aged thirty when I stopped canoeing [ that gives you the shits on a regular basis due to what goes into rivers ], I’m sixty and still out at least twice a week , I’ve only ever had bruises/scratches/loss of dignity dangly form a bush type accidents whereas playing five a side I’ve had black eyes, sore ankles and six stitches in me eyebrow.Even the numb nob syndrome is sorted with the improvements in saddle design -win win

molgrips
    Free Member

Where does it say it needs to be weight bearing for it to be any good?

Weight bearing exercise strengthens bones – this is well known.

calcium’s something people overlook in diet.

Really? Milk and cheese seem popular..?

I recently read somewhere that most post recovery drinks are no better than a pint of milk.

The ratio of protein/carbs is similar in milk, but you need to drink some ridiculous amount of milk (like three pints or something) to get the amount of carbs suggested for recovery. Plus (decent) recovery drinks contain more things than just protein and carbs – whether or not they work is also under debate. However I recommend anyone sceptical of recovery drinks to at least try Torq (specifically this one, not the others) after a big ride – it’s very effective. You can get it in single sachets for £1.50 or something, worth a punt on a couple of them.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

Really? Milk and cheese seem popular..?

Yes, really- people tend to eat dairy or not based on whether they like it but most healthy people won’t go “Better drink some milk because I’ve not eaten enough calcium today”. A typical western diet will usually supply enough for most people without worrying about it but that’s exactly why it gets overlooked- and not everyone eats typically. And cyclists need more than most, because we waste so much of it.

whitestone
    Free Member

As someone who can’t stand milk it’s a moot (sorry) point. I’m fine with cheese BTW.

If you think you are low in calcium then the list here http://nof.org/articles/886 shows that it’s surprisingly common in foodstuffs.

iainc

Posted on first page about waterworks problems that may of may not be linked to cycling. Overall it keeps me healthy and sane. I rode from early thirties to mid 40’s with no major injuries, then had 2 ambulance crashes in a 3 month period, which changed my outlook (and face) significantly. Now a lot more cautious but probably a better rider after doing a skills season to sort my head post crashes. First one was a horrid otb, second a high speed wipeout in velodrome. I haven’t ridden on the track since….

Solo
    Free Member

Resistance work, is beneficial to bone health, via the body’s reaction of adaptation.

Question: What is the effect on the body’s net acidity, after consuming dairy?

And didn’t I read somewhere that there is no correlation between dairy consumption and a reduced incidence of osteoporosis?

Bunnyhop

The bone Dr.I’m seeing at the moment says yogurt is good. Too much cheese,bad, due to fat content.Also at least half to full pint of milk a day.

Northwind

Solo – Member

Question: What is the effect on the body’s net acidity, after consuming dairy?

None, except in the urine.

Solo – Member

And didn’t I read somewhere that there is no correlation between dairy consumption and a reduced incidence of osteoporosis?

Quite likely, people write all sorts of bollocks and diary seems to attract pseudomedicine and quackery.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

….cyclists need more than most, because we waste so much of it

why do cyclists “waste” more calcium then any anyone carrying out other strenuous activity??

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@molgrips
    I’d question the thinking that it has to be weight bearing for it to improve bone strength. Tennis players for example have greater upper limb strength due to repeatedly striking a ball. There are studies that confirm this.

Potentially MTB confers similar benefits due to having to absorb vibrations/impacts with your limbs?

Either way, I think we all agree that exercise>no exercise. Where it gets tricky is deciding if MTB is the best exercise for us!

Northwind

hilldodger – Member

why do cyclists “waste” more calcium then any anyone carrying out other strenuous activity??

We don’t. Well, not for a given amount of sweat, anyway.

psycorp
    Free Member

dragon – Member

I have exercise induced asthma which the mountain biking doesn’t help

My asthma is much better controlled if I do exercise. All I can think of is you aren’t fit enough to get a noticeable improvement.

[/quote]

Yeah, that must be it. Thanks for your expert diagnosis!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d question the thinking that it has to be weight bearing for it to improve bone strength. Tennis players for example have greater upper limb strength due to repeatedly striking a ball. There are studies that confirm this.

Well limb strength isn’t the same as bone density, is it? And there is a fair amount of shock going through the arms and shoulders.. but I dunno – I’m not a doctor anyway.

Perhaps because we can easily be out for four or five hours – this is probably longer than any other sport apart from walking, and we’re working at a higher rate. Well, some of us are at least 😉 2 hours is a long run but a short bike ride.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

this is probably longer than any other sport apart from walking

and a lot of golf rounds…

nickc

Mentally it’s done me no good whatsoever, I’ve gone from being more or less normally adjusted to semi-permanently staring at the sky looking for weather, staring at maps looking for singletrack, staring at internet bike shops at the bits I can’t afford.

physically I’m either mostly knackered or stinging, or having to explain why my arms look like I’ve been fighting cats, or why I’m limping, or why my fingernails are black

Financially I’m ruined, my food shopping bill is massive, all my spare cash goes on bike bits, and a good deal of “not spare” cash, my car’s filthy, and has too many miles on it, and smells…”funny” All my clothes are stained with oil, or hydro fluid, all my tees are product release freebies.I don’t have many non biking friends, I can’t look at FB on DH day or the next couple of weeks at all in case I see results

Yeah, mountain biking….it’s great

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What does mtbing do to your body?’ is closed to new replies.