Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • what does a bust collarbone feel like?
  • Pook

i’ve got a weird pain in my shoulder, tender to touch, and every so often there’s a sharp pain right down my arm. The pain in my shoulder’s not too sharp, but it makes me feel a bit queasy.

Got a docs appointment on Wed btw

flatfish
    Free Member

smarts a bit

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound good. Can you move it? When I broke mine I found I could hardly raise the arm.

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve busted mine 3 times
    on all occasions – all I could do was hold my arm up across my chest

Go to A&E today if you think it’s bust

Expat
    Free Member

try changing a light bulb, if you can do that then stop whingin if not then probably broken/cracked

beamers

Bust mine a few years ago.

Symptoms were:

Massive lump on my shoulder;
    excruciating pain;
    inability to do anything with my arm apart from tuck it in the front of my shirt ala Napoleon.

ajc
    Free Member

In my experience you really know when you have broken a collar bone. The loud crack when it happens and sharp bone sticking out under your skin can be a real give away. Sounds like you may have damaged the ligaments though, did you land on it heavily? If you didn’t land on it it may be some kind of trapped nerve thing. A visit to the docs may be worthwhile for a professional opinion.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Normally if you have broken a bone you know – altho when I broke my collar bone it wasn’t clear as the ends did not separate.

If its that painful don’t wait until Wed.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Sounds like when I have subluxed (sp?) my shoulder in the past (partial dislocation, goes back on its own, less damage than a dislocation).
    Persistent aching from “somewhere” inside the shoulder and occasional sharp pain when you do the right/wrong thing?
    Got some exercises to do and that was all that was required.

Pook

right o, that sounds more light it tracker. I’ve broken bones in the past and there wasn’t much pain, just this “queasy” feeling. Although that might have ben shock.
    I’ll see what the doc says.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As beamers if it’s broken then you’ll know it because you’ll be in a whole lot of pain and you’ll have a lump.

Pook

maybe not a break, but what about a fracture?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A fracture is a break. Same thing.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I broke mine clean in two but didn’t have a noticeable lump until swelling went down.

I’s say the most obvious thing is a LOT of pain if you move your arm, you won’t be able to lift it. I got shooting pains right down to my elbow, which got worse after I had an op to fix the whole thing.

It’s an absolute bugger.

Best get it checked out though, as the sooner you get into the system, the better (if you need an op to fix it, time is of the essence, as the bone starts to die, and doesn’t like growing back after a while (I had two ops over 9 months last year too fix it).

All in all, Mine took exactly a year to mend.

Hope it’s not broken.

Pook

ok then. How about a fracture rather than a compound fracture….

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I always thought a break was when the bones become seperated and a fracture was when there is just a crack?
    If so it sounds like a small fracture then.
    I broke my collar bone a couple of years ago and the snapped end severed a main nerve to my arm, which kind of sucked (still sucks).

Pook

i think TJ was just waiting for a chance to show us some more of his superior knowledge about everything

😀 🙄

jimmy

GO TO A&E!

But first, try taking off a tshirt by holding opposite bottom corners and liftng it over your head. If you can do that, you’re fine, if you’ve broken your collarbone you’ll soon know about it (as I did *wince*)

ski
    Free Member

A&E job Pook

Could have been worse, you could have done it when the snow was about and the waiting injured would have been out of the door 😉

Pook

don’t think it’s too bad. Just feels weird.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Language is funny. Mixing technical terms and laymans terms always gets odd.

A fracture is a break in the bone – of any sort, displaced, compound, open, etc. Even a greenstick fracture is still a fracture when the break does not go all the way thru the bone.

Marge
    Free Member

When I used to race MotoX one of my mates crashed his Honda in front of me during training. he climbed back to his feet and walked over to me with a similar question.
    ‘I think my collarbone might be broken?’.

He pulled down the neck of his jersey and yikes it was crystal clear. Bones sticking out at all sorts of angles (but fortunately not through the skin).
    Drove himself to hospital though as he didn’t want to spoil the day for the rest of us.

boblo
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    i think TJ was just waiting for a chance to show us some more of his superior knowledge about everything

Yeah, but he didn’t invite you to join a Union on this occasion so… result 😛

Agree with all the above. There is usally a nasty cracking sound like a dry twig being snapped followed by a world of pain. You end up hunched over holding the offending arm to your chest trying desperately not to extend the arm or move the shoulder either of which results in more pain.

I did the same one twice in the Peak (a year apart) and both times had to ride back to the car and then drive home to Cambs followed by trips to A&E with a glowering SWMBO.

Best of Blitish, hope it’s ‘just’ a dislocation. Whatever, get to A&E and get it xrayed – now.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I “greenstick” fractured my collarbone in my teens, never knew I’d done it (well, other than the large impact with the tree at speed) – no real pain, no real swelling, just a ruddy great bony lump there now that gets pointed out every time I go to a new doc or hospital lol.

trailmonkey

When broke my collarbone, I knew almost straight away. Really,really painful and an almost instictive feeling that you know that you are badly hurt.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

I’d agree with the instinctive feeling, also mine hurt but was kind of numb at the same time.

darrell
    Free Member

the last time i did mine i knew instantly when one of my friends said ,”whatever you do, dont look at your shoulder”, she then puked

amosridl
    Free Member

Broke mine whilst slightly drunk, so didn’t get the immediate pain and nothing was sticking out. I knew something wasn’t right though. My mate an A & E nurse (also drunk) said “no your fine, if it’s broke you’d no about it”.

Next day I could tell I had given it a good clout and it felt wrong. Went on for a week and could only sleep on the one side, not for the pain but it just felt wrong.

The following week i went to A & E and they confirmed it was a break.

Hard as nails me.

Still doesn’t feel right after a year and a half and I am concious of it swinging/moving less when I walk.

jimmy

I pass out whenever I break / sprain stuff. Not intentionally, but my body just switches off a few minutes after. Makes me look like a right wuss.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

didn’t hear mine snap, but bloody hurt.

had to walk the last bit of the energy loop at afan, and then rode back to village one handed with bad arm in a sling made out of inner tube.

the real pain started when the NHS got involved.

A&E mate, don’t even bother with your GP as they’ll only send you for an xray.

dr_death
    Free Member

Break = fracture
    Compound fracture = broken with bits of bone sticking through the skin
    Open fracture = compound fracture
    Greenstick fracture = not broken all the way through (only happens to kids)
    Hearing something go ‘crack’ does not necessarily = broken

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘what does a bust collarbone feel like?’ is closed to new replies.