Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What do you with your bike when camping?
  • lodious
    Free Member

Camping with the family this weekend, is it OK to leave the bike (SC Superlight) locked on the roof mounted bike carrier? I’m going to a family type campsite, they have a compound to put the bike in, but I dunno if that can be trusted …how much risk is there and what’s the best thing to do?

Filthy
    Free Member

I bought a van and lock it in that.

wwaswas

We just lock all of ours together (and to the towbar bike rack when it's off the car) and put a tarpaulin over them when we're not using them.

unless you're leavign the car for long periods you shoudl be ok with it on he roof but it's a bit obvious (maybe take it off an dlock it to an alloy wheel or something?).

sputnik
    Free Member

Sorted

lodious
    Free Member

Sputnik…tell me you didn't kick the wife out to keep the bike dry 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Could you not put it in the car rather than on it? Depends how long I'm away for but I would either put it in the car or lock it to the alloy wheels. If I'm away for a week I take the bikes and rack off and screw a couple of those big dog lead screw in things into the ground and then lock the whole lot to them.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

can't you take the wheels off and put it in the car?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Tie a wire from the frame to your big toe. Sorted

br
    Free Member

park near a (substantial) tree, and loop a large armoured cable around bike (and wheels/forks etc) and then tree

lodious
    Free Member

Car is full of kid's stuff, I could lock it to one of the alloys though.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You can buy these spiral/screw thingies to anchor you dog to, I use two of them in the ground, a D-lock through both (to stop them being pulled out) and then through my frame.

They are light enough to stick in my panniers when doing a long haul.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

clicky do da

heavy duty version of this

PrinceJohn

What's more stealable? The bike or the kid stuff?

Put the kids stuff under a tarp & lock the bike in the car. Sorted

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If you have a rear car carrier, you can rig up a loop to lock it your towing loop. I put a D-lock through the towing loop and then have a thick cable looped through the frame and then through the D-Lock.

An option I read about but have have not yet tried is to buy two dog/ground anchors. These are spiral-spikes with loops at the top. Screw two into the ground next to each other, put a frame-tube between then then put a D-lock through both anchor-loops. You cannot unscrew the anchors, the D-lock prevents it. So your bike is secured to the dirt. [oh – someone else got there first!]

Nothing is foolproof, except good insurance.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep thats what I do. Impossible to unscrew the things with the bike attached and the only way to get them out is dig. A thief could bend them but if they are screwed right in it would be quite difficult.

marionheck
    Free Member

Singlespeed_shep – i like it, i think i might have to go and buy myself two of those. Good tip thank you.

lodious
    Free Member

Spiral Dog Anchor's could also solve the problem of 'What to do with the kids when i'm out riding' 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Lock mine to the car wheels

rkk01
    Free Member

In the car, or locked to the alloys…
    … but this appeals….

Jerome
    Free Member

Used to lock to tow hook.
    Lock to Tow bar now..
    J.

Olly
    Free Member

lock it to the wheels? your all weird?
    do you not have towing eyes.
    tend to lock mine to the towing eyes, if its either filthy and wet, or the car is full of junk.

DezB
    Free Member

your all weird?
    I haven't got one of those.

simon_g

Lots of cars these days have screw-in towing eyes – I'd rather go through a wheel than one of those.

wwaswas

as above – my towing eye sits in the car – it just screws in when needed.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What do you with your bike when camping?’ is closed to new replies.