Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • what do you wear when the weather is crappy? Advise needed!
  • nwill1
    Free Member

Never managed to get comfortable ridding when its cold & wet, either too hot, to wet or too cold. Never really invested in any decent kit (it all goes on the bike). I’m looking to invest in a decent (no more that £100) jacket that I can wear between now & spring to keep me comfortable with just a base layer underneath. So far I like the look of Royal Racing Alpine Soft Shell, apparently suitable for all 4 seasons. Any experiences or advise/recommendations welcome.

crikey
    Free Member

Have you tried asking your mum?

Raining = coat on.
    Cold = vest on.
    Raining and cold = coat and vest on.

HTH.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Shorts & tee shirt.
    I stay in when it’s crappy weather. I used to own the factory that made the tee shirts that said, ‘I Ride In Shit Weather’

njee20
    Free Member

Gore Oxygen SO jacket and a base layer will see you right.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Decent baselayer and a decent unlined windshirt does me down to freezing. If you get cold then move faster.

If it’s below freezing then a lined windshirt.

matt_outandabout

apparently suitable for all 4 seasons

Ah hahahahahaha etc.
    Softshell = more breathable, less waterproof.
    Taking layers on and off and having some options is the best way IMO. Good baselayer (HH Merino), thin fleece, softshelly/windproofy (Montane Krypton is ACE) thing and a proper waterproof (Paramo) = mix n match and perfect.
    I also have waterproof shorts, lycra shorts and warm bib-longs as well.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Top;
    Merino base layer, then an eVent jacket or a Pertex gilet, depending on the weather.
    Bottoms – Endura bibs
    Extremities – Smartwool socks, Sealskinz gloves.

Oh, and ALWAYS a Buff.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never managed to get comfortable ridding when its cold & wet, either too hot, to wet or too cold.

decide which annoys you the most and eliminate that

Basically all jackets will IME will excel at one or two of these but not all
    My stealth £150 ish is superb at all but only when it is really really cold or it is too warm
    All jackets tend to be waterproof even cheapo Alid ones so decide how breathable you want it to be and wear more clothes if you are cold.
    I have never had one breathable enough I dont get “wet” from sweat tbh

For a few hours it does not really matter and if does pedal harder so the burning sensation in your legs and lungs makes you forget about the wet and the cold.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Buff of course but I use a Marks and Spencer ski top half zip pullon which is made of some sort of “cloth” as opposed to “nylon” and has a nice tall collar and a mesh lining but no insulative lining. A wicking tee shirt or Helly Hansen longleeve (or both if it’s really cold) underneath has always been enough. If it’s wet the Aldi £10 jacket instead has always worked and, though the inside gets moist with sweat, you don’t feel it due to the wicking layer.

I’ve got Aldi or Lidl (do you sense a theme here?) windproof fronted tights and might wear baggies over the top. Being of a certain age I would find bib tights, how shall we say, inconvenient. Walking shoes rather than cycling shoes as I use flats and don’t need the leaky cleat bolt holes.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

FWIW the best jacket I’ve ever had is a Pace (W)interactive, I could just about ride in anything & I was comfortable. Got it for £90 instead of £150 in about 1997 or something. Don’t think they’ve done them for a while now. Combined with some fleecy long bibs you can’t go wrong.
    Must lose about 2 stone so It’ll fit again!

Hi Peter! *waves*. The Scott was good, Browny was FLYING!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

got this down to a tee (no pun) at the mo…..

short sleeve baselayer (merino), gore alp x l/s jersey, and a altura etape gilet if its extremely windy…

if its colder than normal too at night ill bung the arm warmers on too….

when it gets really cold and wet ill stick my fusion gt as jacket on…

but at the moment, the above (not the fusion jacket), will suffice in all but the wettest nights…..even when its gone down to 3 degrees the baselayer/alpx/armwarmer/gilet combo has kept me warm, and NOT overheating!

soon as i put the jacket on with just a baselayer i overheated!

jacket is now definitely only for the depths of winter i reckon

labsey
    Free Member

Marks & Spencer base layer and a hoodie. Have an Animal Technical jacket for when the weather gets really wet. Packs down small to go a pannier pocket. In really cold weather I have a beanie for under the lid. Always wear shorts.

Always carry a buff too.

cinnamon_girl

Windstopper Gilet if it’s dry, use with arm warmers or Windstopper arm warmers if particularly chilly.

Gore Windstopper jackets will, ime, repel fairly heavy rain for a few hours.

I find that my Paclite jacket is rarely used.

chiefgrooveguru

My cheap solution is long sleeve base layer under short sleeve base layer, plus tiny breathable waterproof (Pocket Rocket) for when it’s properly wet. Baggy shorts and synthetic boxer shorts on the lower half. If it’s really cold the old Paramo or antique Buffalo come out.

Keva
    Free Member

dress for the occasion, take a few spares of this and that if it looks liable to change.

burko73

I’ve been using endura bib tights 3/4′ s and the endura shorts that sort of keep off most of the water mt 500 s I think. I’ve also just invested in a gore phantom 2 with removable arms. Tis seems to be good in these cooler times and will handle a good bit of wet weather and if it gets warm just zip off the arms and stuff in the rear pocket. I’m pleased with this combo so far in drizzle/ light rain for hour long rides. I’ve been wearing the top next to my skin. If it gets coler I’ll put a merino lit base layer underneath.

I guess if it’s really hammering down I’ll end up getting a more waterproof shell to go over the to that can live in my camelbak. Any suggestions welcome…..

senorj

cinnamon girl speaks the truth.
    Use your cash for a decent windproof/breathable jacket and base layers to accompany it.The wind proof arm warmers are very handy. Wooly socks too!
    Three quarter tights under baggies do for me in all but the extreme (sub zero) cold.
    I also have a raincoat which cost alot and is hardly ever used!

If you feel cold go faster! 😀

binners

Softshells are your friend. But make sure its a fairly lightweight one. I’ve got a Race Face one that you boil in unless the temp is below zero. The Sombrio ones like thisare perfect, but not cheap. Well worth it IMHO though.

Thin Merino baselayer only underneath. Sealskinz socks always! Shorts all year round, as I’m not gay/southern 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘what do you wear when the weather is crappy? Advise needed!’ is closed to new replies.