Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What do you wear if you don't want to wear lycra….
  • sc-xc

Getting a road bike, but I really don't think the world is ready for me in the sort of outfit that I see lots of roadies wear.

Is there a halfway house – somewhere bewteen the humvees or similar I normally wear and the lycra? Where should I be looking?

richmtb

Endura Singletrack (or similar, other shorts are available) with a lycra liner. Merino jersey or base layer and jacket depending on weather

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Commit to (subtle) Lycra, seriously no one will give a shit, apart from some of the tards on here of course.

singlespeedstu

Just wear your gimp suit.

Coleman
    Free Member

Leather or Rubber, or both! 😯

5lab

why not just ride in a tshirt and shorts? not sure why sitting on a bike needs special clothing.

I use a running top, if it's hot. Fairly unoffensive

meehaja
    Free Member

body paint?

kimbers

loads of options
    i swap between endura zymes and swobos, coz they are my regular riding shorts

for the winter i wear some 3/4 length cotton/polyester/canvas? nike shorts i got for a few quid in tk max

singlecrack
    Free Member

Just wear what you feel comfortable in.

But please NO heals……. 😉

rootes1

these?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mavic-stratos-shorts-1

but eventually for the (and to be fair for XC) lyrca is the ticket even if you look like a gimp

Haze

Rapha…ch-ching!

jond
    Free Member

>why not just ride in a tshirt and shorts?

ISTR from a few years back, it wasn't even that much sometimes 😉

Can't stand my bits wandering around in normal shorts, plus lycra dries out/moves moisture better – not to mention t-shirts suck in the rain imo…

yossarian
    Free Member

leather

U31
    Free Member

Skyclad.

MrGreedy

Eventually you will realise why roadies wear lycra – because it's the best material for the job. But if you're precious about it (or worried people will stare at your winkie) there are plenty of nice understated colours and trims.

Or you could just do a Mario

BadlyWiredDog

Before I started riding on the road, I genuinely though all roadies were fit, fast, sleek and lean. Wrong. Loads of them are slow, overweight, occasional riders just like me. They all wear lycra because it's massively functional on the road. Seriously, no-one will bat an eye-lid. Just get some plain black bib shorts and an un-logoed top in a plainish colour – Gore bikewear is a nice compromise between quality and price – carry water in bottles on the frame, a few bars and a lightweight windproof in your jersey pockets and small saddlepack with multi-tool, a spare tube and some self-adhesive patches. Part of the beauty of riding a road bike is that it's sleek and minimal – just remember, you're a seal on wheels…

Seriously though, black lycra shorts, simple road-specific jersey. The irony is that you'll stand out a hell of a lot more if you insist on wearing baggies and weird designer Waffa crap 😉

sc-xc

mmmmmmmmmm.

Which socks for shoving down the front of your lycra?

mcboo
    Free Member

1. 3/4 length bib shorts……..Gore do the best bang for the buck I think but lots of options. 3/4 look good on everyone, don't know why, they just do…….shorts don't always look great on the larger chap, thus your post. And ladies please can we have more lassies in 3/4 this season? Is a roadie girl round here wears very gucci Italian gear, makes me blush.

2. Rapha touring shorts

http://www.rapha.cc/touring-shorts/

Are very smart indeed, I have two pairs. See previous thread "The Best Shorts Ever"…..I stand by that.

Sorry richmtb but Endura Singletracks are fine but on a road bike will = Betty Swallocks. Terrible idea.

Edit:+1 what BWD said…….really no one gives a monkeys, wear good black bibs, road bikes are ace.

sc-xc

Cheers mcboo…but for the record it's not that I am overweight! More the thought of lycra 😯

Like the look of those rapha shorts though.

radoggair
    Free Member

funny that when i first got my road bike i thought wearing just lycra was wrong. 2 years later, riding the road bike everyday wearing tightcut lycra and road top and shaved legs.

Best thing i've ever done towards road riding

sc-xc

Cheers. I suspect I am a few years off a bike like yours though 😉

I guess it's time to embrace the skin hugging stuff.

BadlyWiredDog

Sorry, but those Rapha shorts look ridiculous. Honestly, just go with plain black lycra and you'll blend in far more comfortably and unobtrusively. You can of course wear whatever you want, but the reason people wear Lycra on the road is very simply that it works. Anyway…

mcboo
    Free Member

Oops sorry I thought you were the OTHER sc-xc…….the big fat one everyone laughs and points at and calls FATTY!!!!!

Seriously then, and we are back on my gripe of the month, are you somehow implying that baggy mtb style gear DOESNT look hideous, that continental roadsters have got something to learn from the ageing pepsi-max brigade and their camouflage clobber and camelbacks?

I'm getting Trinny and Suzanna on the case. The revolution starts here. UK mtbers you need to smarten up.

drofluf
    Free Member

Tweed

IGMC

Shandy
    Free Member

3/4 bibs and a jersey with pockets on the back.

crazy-legs

Seriously though, black lycra shorts, simple road-specific jersey. The irony is that you'll stand out a hell of a lot more if you insist on wearing baggies and weird designer Waffa crap

+1. Roadies wear lycra so by definition, not wearing lycra makes you stand out like a sore thumb, marks you out as a complete amateur or someone who is insecure with themselves.
    To cyclists, you're simply one of them and so long as you're not trying to cram 18 stone of blubber into a full Team Sky kit, you'll look just like any other roadie.
    To non-cyclists, you look a ****. We all do.

project
    Free Member

Full body shave, strategically placed sock and and an all over tan.

Works for me.

Haze

It's all good once you're on the bike mate…

radoggair
    Free Member

and chamoix cream

sc-xc

So Daz, are we all gonna do it….properly?!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I have tried a variety of alternatives but always come back to Lycra. There really is nothing else

ooOOoo
    Free Member

+1. Roadies wear lycra so by definition, not wearing lycra makes you stand out like a sore thumb, marks you out as a complete amateur or someone who is insecure with themselves.

Hilarious. Love to see you ride round amsterdam.

Haze

All the way!

_tom_
    Free Member

I just wear the same as I wear on the mtb. Don't even wear lycra liners/undershorts (yet) as I find them less comfortable than normal boxers, or at least for short rides.

backhander
    Free Member

OK serious question (I wish I had another log in!);
    What if you're well…..not average?

gordimhor

wear the lycra stick a pair of baggy beach shorts on top

BluePalomino
    Free Member

OK serious question (I wish I had another log in!);
    What if you're well…..not average?

Is under undersize or oversize that's the problem?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Top wise those decathlon ones arent too bad. Shorts wise i was self concious at first now i dont care.

"What if you're well…..not average?"

I'm not average, I'm awesome. That's why I wear Lycra.

fisha
    Free Member

i'm a bit self concious about the lycra side of things … dunno why, just am. I wear a fairly slim pair of baggy shorts with lycra underneath and just wear the lycra tops for the upper half . I dont feel I look out of place and no one comments. I wear the same on the mtb, so its my general cycling gear which wear regardless of the bike i'm one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What do you wear if you don't want to wear lycra….’ is closed to new replies.