Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What do you use to scare street dogs off?
  • bymybike
    Free Member

In some rural areas these creatures make trouble. It’s so nice of the passing motorists to honk them off, but what do you do when you are alone?

jimjam
    Free Member

Those aren’t street dogs. Thems country dugs.

Anyway, don’t run. Face the dog. Stay calm. If you’re in a stand off, make plenty of noise. If you have something to hand get ready to give that to the dog if it does attack. The dog will probably bite onto anything you offer it so grab anything you can.

If it does bite, then keep pulling whatever you have away, and it’ll keep biting that item.

5thElefant
    Free Member

A revolver or a sword would be suitable for a gentleman to deal with such trifles.

Yak

Dunno – not a street dog, but had a dog run-in last week.

On a solo night ride last week, I was just topping out a climb by a big gated house, so just picking up speed again. Noticed the gate was ajar slightly, then a massive doberman or similar shot out after me all teeth showing! Luckily there was a slight downhill tarmac bit followed by a fast offroad downhill, so I just gave it the beans.

Problem was, my headtorch had failed by that point, so I was on bar light only. I could hear the dog behind me for a while, but couldn’t see it and wasn’t going to stop. Guessing it must have lost interest after a while as I eventually couldn’t hear it. Phew…..

In my mind it looked like this

Suspect in daylight it would look like this

yorkshire89
    Free Member

You’re probably better off not trying to scare it 😆

sandwicheater

They just want hugs. Give them hugs.

cinnamon_girl

Man-up shirley?

allthepies
    Free Member

Or “honk them off” 😯

😆

toby1

Yak – brilliant!

irc

Friendly dogs just out for the sport/boredom I stop and say hello then walk the bike a few yards away before getting back on.

Aggressive dogs I keep the bike between me and them and shout GO HOME!!! Works 99% of the time. Dogs know when someone isn’t scared of them.

I never try and outrun a chasing dog. It risks an accident and re-enforces their bike chasing behaviour.

portlyone

Tazer

fasthaggis

Take a cat with you .

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I usually breathe on them.

kiwijohn

9mm.

gazc
    Free Member

take them in, feed them up and sell them to Vietnam

kebab anyone?

hora
    Free Member

I approach them. I also hold my hand out -fingers in for them to sniff.

Occassionally an owners turned up and said ‘oh, he/she doesn’t normally do that’ (i.e. they normally recoil/snap/bark alot).

scuttler

They’re only being friendly

back2basics
    Free Member

a lightsaber

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

When one of my neighbour’s used to let his dog ruin about without any supervision and it barked at me, I bought some bleach from amazon and a small perfume atomiser. Only used it once, that was enough.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Johns bicycle book had great advice for dealing with dogs. Is it still in print?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I hear dogs don’t like wheels… at least that’s what every dog walker tells me!

antigee

hora – Member
    I also hold my hand out -fingers in for them to sniff.

i was a bit worried about this image until it occurred to me that hora might be confusing meeting up with dogs in the street with dogging – the comment makes more sense in the latter context

bigyinn
    Free Member

It makes me laugh every time i see it on here that “I stop and let the lovely (rabid?) dog have a good sniff of me so it knows im not a thread, (before pulling my shorts down and letting it lick on the nads presumably”).
    Why the hell should I have to do this because some moron cant control THEIR pet? FFS

Junkyard
    Free Member

ride with Hora then you can easily sacrifice the slowest rider

Really depends but I have never been attacked by a dog that stood in front of me and gave me the eye. Probably put my bike between me and it and get ready to rumble.

Last time i stopped and kicked it into the canal.
    I used to commute past every day and the owner would just not do anything about it despite my repeated requests.
    It was not a massive dog though but bigger than Yaks second pic.

anagallis_arvensis

Why the hell should I have to do this because some moron cant control THEIR pet? FFS

Because its be far the safest option for you?

butcher

Never had any problems with dogs myself. I can understand why people get nervous around them, just as I understand people get nervous around bees. Such is life.

Dogs occasionally like to run and chase. Sometimes they might even give you a nip. Very rarely will they actually want to rip your face off. Just be calm, and carry on.

tomhoward

My manhood.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In my experience they don’t like to be squirted with liquid from a water bottle, be it Robinsons barley water or battery acid. (Just dont drink the Robinsons, it’s vile)

Speshpaul

they are a bit like motorists, I tend to look smaller on the bike than I do when I get off and start walking towards them:-)

CountZero

bymybike – Member
    In some rural areas these creatures make trouble. It’s so nice of the passing motorists to honk them off, but what do you do when you are alone?

Which rural areas would these be? I only ask as I live in a predominantly rural area, and I’m really struggling to recall the last time I saw any dog running around unattended, either in the town where I live, or out in the country.
    In fact, it’s something that crossed my mind not so long ago, that you just don’t see dogs roaming free anymore.
    I guess any that do get quickly culled by the large amount of traffic that uses the streets nowadays.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

On a windless morning riding in two groups about 100m apart a rider in the lead group should not use pepper spray.

Brainflex

CO2, dogs hate CO2.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What do you use to scare street dogs off?’ is closed to new replies.