Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What do you use to push ceramic pistons back?
  • djen83
    Free Member

Nearly destroyed a piston pushing it back with a metal screw driver (didn’t read up on that first!).

Need some leverage that will not destroy what is left of the pistons and am struggling for inspiration – what do you use?

Cheers

passtherizla
    Free Member

wedge of wood?

P20

Leave a set of old pads in, then push them back with a big screwdriver

GeForceJunky

Put the screwdriver on the other side, i.e. push against the backing of the pad so it pushes the other pad which pushes the piston.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I used a plastic tyre lever by sliding it across so both ends of the lever were protruding and then used both hands to force it back , worked fine on my new shimanos.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Old pads and a piston reset tool from xtreme ( big flat tire lever)

djen83
    Free Member

Nice one – cheers

sam_underhill

I use a tool for pushing pistons back in from superstar, it’s made of metal but so are brake pads! When experimenting with a sticky piston I had limited choice and used a ring spanner so I could lever against the other side of the caliper. Are the ceramic poisons really that failure? Or is it only if you use something sharp and pointy like a screw driver.

plecostomus
    Free Member

A park piston press with the pads still in or a plastic tyre lever.

AlasdairMc

I’d be questioning the state of the seals if it takes that much effort to retract the pistons. I swapped the seals on an Elixir and the difference was astonishing.

chives
    Free Member

Take a wooden clothes peg apart, and you instantly have two opposing wedges that fit neatly through most top mount calipers (minus pads, obviously).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What do you use to push ceramic pistons back?’ is closed to new replies.