Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What do you use to clean your bike with?
  • merlinshearer
    Free Member

The weather is so shocking at the moment the bikes need cleaning after every ride! So apart from Muc Off (Rip off) and the obvious application of a large amount of H2O what do you lovely folks use to clean your bikes with? Anythung from the automotive industry that is loads cheaper, works well and is non abrassive?

footflaps

Fairy liquid and hot water is all I ever use.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If the drive is really manky, I use jizer but as I now use putolene chain wax, most of the mud will rinse off. Everything else cleans up with fairy liquid.

jota180
    Free Member

Hot soapy water and a hose

Nothing else needed

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Tesco were selling off 3 litre Simoniz car wash and wax for 84p so I brought a few of them after Christmas I have been cleaning my frame with those. Degrease the chain every few weeks with muc off degreaser.

avdave2

Rain and clean puddles. In this weather I ride a rigid hub geared bike that never needs cleaning. I ride to work off road so keeping anything clean would be a real pain.

merlinshearer
    Free Member

was thinking of using this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120886869813?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT for degreasing the chain/drive train surely its the same stuff as Muc Off degreaser? Just differant branding??

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

Fenwicks FS-1.
    It costs £10 per litre but you dilute it with 10 parts water to get cleaning fluid. So it costs less than £1 per litre compared to about £6 for muc off and apparently it does the job just as well if not better

freeagent
    Free Member

Poundland snyde Muc-Off. looks the same, smells the same.. costs a pound.

merlinshearer
    Free Member

^freeagent – whats it called? – cheers^

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pound land muc off is guff, so yes, it’s about as much use as muc off!. Triple wax car cleaner, hot water and some elbow grease.

gee
    Free Member

A dollop of Turtle Wax on a bike cleaning brush for most of it, then Gunk on the chain if it’s really manky. GT-85 on chain and cassette afterwards to prevent rust.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

hot water + fairy liquid and rinse well. Good as anything.

BenjiM

I’ve taken to using a large soft flagged brush (basically a car one) and some wash and wax car cleaner. Bike comes up nice and sparkly. Doesn’t take long either.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

http://www.green-oil.net/Clean%20Chain%20degreaser.html

I mix it with water and put it in a spray bottle.

Rockape
    Free Member
    cfinnimore
    Free Member

I keep my SS drivechain clean with degreaser and a good wash n’ lube.

Otherwise, mud goes on, mud falls off, mud goes on, mud falls off.

All components are sealed-against-Scotland and I don’t feel any less of a scruff for riding a dirty white bike.

SBrock
    Free Member

muc-off should be called rip-off…. Fenwicks is far superior, use a weak solution of fairy too.

jimw
    Free Member

This works really well- much better than muc-off.

Non Caustic Metal Cleaner

a little goes a long way

GolfChick
    Free Member

fenwicks, diluted.

Mounty_73

Bucket of hot water and a sponge, degreaser to clean chain etc, thats it. 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member

Spray Fenwicks FS1 diluted all over, then wash with water and a blob of Simoniz car wash in a bucket bought dirt cheap at Asdas (iirc £4 5ltr) then rinse with another bucket of water. Spray chain with TF2 and have a cuppa whilst it drys out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When in the UK Hope Sh t shifter, in oz a light brush

Got a 5l bottle and kept it in the garage. Worked fine fairy liquid made my bike smell like lemons which was just not right

allthegear
    Free Member

Car shampoo and seal pups – their fur is really good for cleaning all the gunk off. I have them flown in specially…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do Seal Pups work on full sus to? what about 29’s, I heard there was a special 29’r specific cleaner out now

allthegear
    Free Member

Russian ones are best for FS

rogerthecat
    Free Member

You’re supposed to clean them? 😯

merlinshearer
    Free Member

If you cannot find a seal pup will baby walrus’ do instead?

warton
    Free Member

Fairy liquid

😯

What does Fairy liquid do to your stubborn dishes? It dissolves grease.

good luck with that getting in your headset, BB, hubs, suspension bearings etc etc.

crikey
    Free Member

Fairy Liquid works just fine, and has done for 20 years. Someone will be along shortly telling us all about how much salt there is in it and how it destroys bicycles…

Bucko

I just use a hosepipe and maybe a brush if it’s really dirty. I didn’t realise everyone used cleaning products and chemicals. Maybe that’s why my bike hasn’t been showroom shiny since the day I bought it…

enfht
    Free Member

Rain and puddles wash my bike.

Occasionally I feel guilty and mix up a tiny amount of my never-ending Pound Shop bike cleaner in a bucket.

Frankers
    Free Member

Used Fairy for years but don’t use it anymore as dulls the paint work

Now using Stardrops from Asda (£1.98)

spacehopper

straight after a ride.. hosepipe and water… dry it off with a rag to pick of anything i missed..

or if the muds had chance to dry i use halfords car wash in a bucket with a brush.. then hosepipe and water..

or just wait and use a toothbrush to get rid of all the dry mud (though its not had a chance to dry this year!!) then a quick going over with wd40 on a rag..

nikk
    Free Member

crikey

Fairy Liquid works just fine, and has done for 20 years. Someone will be along shortly telling us all about how much salt there is in it and how it destroys bicycles…

😀

I use:

Simmons Wash ‘N Wax to do the dishes
    Muc Off to shampoo my hair
    Head & Shoulders to wash the car
    Fairy Liquid to clean the bike (Brillo Pads optional)

I don’t see the problem with that!

</sarcasm>

Carry on…

davidjohn
    Free Member

I’ve always used the little man in a can.. Mr Sheen.

DJ

dirtydog
    Free Member

Frankers – Member
    Used Fairy for years but don’t use it anymore as dulls the paint work

Now using Stardrops from Asda (£1.98)

+1 for Stardrops.

rooney
    Free Member

Clean frame etc soapy water best tip iv got from local bike shop, petrol for chain and cassette…… Like new!

rooney
    Free Member

Oh forgot to add baby wipes if not too dirty 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

+1 for the baby wipes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What do you use to clean your bike with?’ is closed to new replies.