• This topic has 25 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mtbel.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What do you think of this budget fatty?
  • lightman
    Free Member

Cheap’ish fatty from Austria?

I quite like the look of it and spec looks not to bad, but what are the views of the experienced out there?
    Also, would I be paying any extra getting it into the UK?

Spin
    Free Member

Also, would I be paying any extra getting it into the UK?

Not from Austria.

sargey

Go outdoors do one for £449.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

That is a LONG rear end.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Tax to get it from Austria? No

How’s your German, you realise they are expecting to send the bikes out in “about March” right now?

It’s billed as a snow/sand bike, and it comes from an area near proper snow and proper mountains, so there is good reason to believe it will work well in snow and on proper hills, so perhaps not a trail oriented fat bike, if that is what you are after in the UK

Happy shopping!

Northwind

There’s a lot of spec shortcuts in that compared to, say, the Silverback Double Scoop (which is now sold out til January, but still)

JoeG
    Free Member

The long chainstays are most likely needed to accommodate a regular 73 mm BB shell and crank instead of the 100 mm one that most fatbikes use.

AFAIK, Suntour doesn’t do fatbike cranks, and I believe they are specced on this bike, so likely conventional 73 mm BB. The 22/36 double would be a good ratio, though. And I would expect a lot of chainslap from a chain that long w/o a clutch derailleur…

lightman
    Free Member

The Go Outdoors one is 7kg heavier and has a screw on block, you can also get them for around £330.
    I don’t want one that cheap and nasty.

I never noticed the delivery times, good spot.

I do like the Silverback, but that is £100 more and way over my budget at the moment. The Bottecchia is at the top of my budget though.
    Im in the process of selling bikes and stuff to fund the new bike, so I’ll have to see what else I can find worth selling!

Im still on the look out for something second hand, so maybe something else will pop up by the time I get the funds.

lightman
    Free Member

Found a couple more pictures of it, its a 68mm BB!

I kinda like the idea that it takes a standard mtb BB, it means I could use a chainset I have in my spares box.
    I would probably upgrade bits and bobs as I go along, so a clutch mech could be a likely upgrade.
    I have noticed a couple of Italian shops are selling this a bit cheaper, will maybe contact them and see about delivery costs.

My idea for the fat bike would be to replace my heavy (17kg) do everything mtb with rack etc…, so I would be using it on the road a lot, so throwing it about on the trails would only be 30-40% of its use, so the long back end may not be to bad for me!

scotroutes

I know what it says in the caption but that doesn’t look like a 68mm BB

lightman
    Free Member

Ha, yeah!
    I don’t know why I didn’t look properly at the pic, is that a standard square taper fat BB?

What would be the reason for the long rear if it isn’t for a small BB?

rickmeister

think that price could get you most od a carbon frame, fork and wheels and would probably be a lot more fun…

http://www.icanbikes.com/

johnnystorm

Nice long stays so you can bolt on a kick stand. Nice!
    I’d go for 0% on a Cooker Maxi 2 from Wiggle.

akira

If you’re using it on the road for 60% of the time then why do you want a fat bike? The fat tyres and low pressure make them pretty horrible on the road, you’ll probably end up putting skinnier tyres on it and running them at higher pressure. Buy a rigid 29er, more suitable for your intended purpose.

trambler

Northwind – have you been in touch with a retailer in Germany about the Double Scoop? I was thinking of maybe trying to source one.

rickmeister

Picked up the business card of the German distributor if thats any help..

trambler

Possibly, might point me in the right direction. Cheers

rickmeister

Trambler ygm ..

johnnystorm

Velo virtuoso in Essex are importing the Siverback Scoops.

Northwind

trambler – Member

Northwind – have you been in touch with a retailer in Germany about the Double Scoop? I was thinking of maybe trying to source one.

Nah, I was pretty close to pre-ordering but when the first run sold out I took that as my excuse to not spend money 😉

dudeofdoom

+1 for road hell….

I went for a fatty rolling chassis 499 and bought sh crank and used brakes an rear mech I had….

Onone Handlebars saddle an stem and grips I think cost me 35quid..

I’ve got 10×1 with hope trex(ebay 40) and on one nw ring 25 ) thnk it was 25 for rear gear cluster an 15 for chain.

So came in reasonable although not cheap…..but it’s a known quantity an most people like them.

Fantastic fun on trail.. Total drudgery on road tbh but I also hate my fs on the road.

mcnultycop

On one is down to £800 at the moment. If I wasn’t recovering from a broken elbow I’d have bought one (pink tyres or otherwise).

lightman
    Free Member

Its been a while, so I though I’d update this thread.

While the Bottecchia was my preferred bike, I ended up getting a Limited Edition OO Fatty when they had their 20% everything period.

For anyone interested in the Bottecchia, it was looking like it would be around £600 to get it to my door, thats shipping from Spain/Italy.
    I did manage to find out that there were in fact a few shops in the UK getting them in, but apparently they were all sold out, despite the fact I got told the UK price was around £700 which didn’t make them very good value compared to the Double Scoop!

I have now had my Fatty for around a month and Im loving it!
    I can now go almost anywhere I want and the amount of grip available is surprising. On my 29’er, the grip runs out well before my legs, but its the other way around on the Fatty and because of that, I am now looking to fit a 40/42T on the back so I can climb straight up the side of mountains, well…big steep hills.

Its fast on the road too, Im not sure if you guys above are running low pressures on the road, but I put mine up to 20psi and have no problem keeping up with my weekly winter road gang and thats on the Floaters.

The only thing its lacking is a bigger gear. 38×11 has me spinning like mad at 30mph, so that could hamper me keeping up with the fast summer chaingang group if there is a tailwind, but it should certainly help get my cadence up.

Here is my Fatty, it now has Front and rear home made carbon mudguards, and few other changes means this weighs in around 17kg, which is the same as the bike it has now replaced.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Awwesome sauce. I am intrigued.

I am also concerned you’ll lose a nut to that stack on the stem. You may not fall of as much as me, in which case it might not be an issue 😀

nick1962
    Free Member

and have no problem keeping up with my weekly winter road gang

lightman’s winter road gang take a break
    😉

mtbel
    Free Member

What would be the reason for the long rear if it isn’t for a small BB?

STABILITY!

As lightman alludes to, you clearly haven’t seen the AWESOME speeds these fatbike enthusiasts ride at.
    No wonder they’re banned from Road racing, TT, Enduro and UCI DH events.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What do you think of this budget fatty?’ is closed to new replies.