Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • what do you think is the best bike company?
  • racefaceec90

would be interested in your views on this.

which bike company do you think has bought the most to mountain biking/road biking over the years and why?

cannot choose myself,but have a shortlist of about 4-5 atm.

Stoner
    Free Member

Forestry Commission Scotland & Wales

bikeneil
    Free Member

That’s two questions. Who is the best, and who has brought the most to mountain biking. The first question is personal but the second would depend on what you want from mountain biking.

racefaceec90

agreed,titled it wrong apologies 😳

mainly wondering which bike company do you think has advanced the evolution of bikes the most in your view?

it’s a tricky one to answer i’ll admit 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Brompton

saxabar
    Free Member

it’s rider 😉

johnnystorm

Specialized, they refuse to get sidetracked by petty politics and instead concentrate on making great bikes.

dragon
    Free Member

Girvin Proflex 🙂

gribble
    Free Member

Lee Valley Park regional authority. Very impressed that you can get 8km of trails in Stratford, very close to the centre of London. (I have not ridden these, so would be interested to hear from anyone who has – will post seperate thread). Although there are other types of cycling available, it is great that kids can try out mountain biking at all, instead of just going shopping/checking their iphone:

Lee Valley MTB booking link

All in all it is great that we are encouraging the new generations to do something positive and if it involves cycling, that is even better.

GHill

Mountain Cycle.

Garry_Lager

If Shimano count as a bike company then everyone else can form an orderly queue behind them.

matther01
    Free Member

+1 Forestry commission and Mr Farthing

loddrik
    Free Member

Mother Nature.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Renthal Bike Dept

Shimano Cycling Dept

Cheezpleez

Fray Bentos

cynic-al
    Free Member

What Garry said

Ditto Shimano

But just bike manufacturers – Specialized. They have been at the forefront of bike design for as long as I can remember.

Specialized, but only because they will sue me if I dont say that.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Raleigh, didn’t everyone have one at some point in life?

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

My best performing bikes have been specialized so they have a lot going for them.

ohrats
    Free Member

Bar their questionable legal practices, I would have to agree with johnnystorm on the fact that Spesh produce consistently fantastic bikes.

Northwind

It is Specialized though. First mass produced mountain bike (admittedly starting as they meant to continue by stealing the idea) and a history of making brilliant bikes pretty much nonstop since then, and providing excellent support too with warranties etc.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Yeah, Specialized for the fact they were there “at the beginning” and have pushed things on for decades. Great company and great products, none of which I have ever owner other than a few of their tyres …

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Renthal Cycling Dept

Shimano Cycling Dept

jameso

I think Cannondale’s level of innovation often get forgotten. They may not always get it right but they’re consistently inventive, always have been.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I think Cannondale has pushed the boundaries of innovation considerably more over the years than Spesh.

Edit – too slow^^

shermer75
    Free Member

I’d have to agree with Shimano. No-one else has ben so consistently at the forefront of excellent across such a broad range of stuff for as long as them.

johnnystorm

Bloody hell, I was taking the piss with Specialized. 🙄

I’d actually say whoever was responsible for decent mainstream alloy, then carbon frames (as steel is generally at opposite ends of the market now)and then Rockshox.

jonba
    Free Member

On-one/planet X. Good bikes, cheap.

tomhoward

Outland (points to those who know why) 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

Halfords… Most of started on an Apollo, right?

kimbers

superstar!!!

LMT
    Free Member

Gary fisher, I know in bed with trek now but his 29ers and erm 69ers great bikes and even though the brand has dropped with just trek designed by gf they are still great bikes. Plus he comes across as a likeable guy.

cookeaa

which bike company do you think has bought the most to mountain biking/road biking over the years and why?

I’m going to treat “Brought the most” in terms of having a big impact and IMO SRAM over the last 15 – 20 years have changed road and MTBing massively, not because I think they are the “best”, in many instances I think they turn out some utter toss.

But I feel they are important because they have precipitated development and competition in the cycle industry, without SRAM Shimano and Campagnolo would have retired to their respective corners And largely just left each other alone, SRAM as the third big player have tended to push all the market segments and technical changes while the other two deliver quality but seldom move with the same pace, SRAM apply the sort of pressure needed to keep the competition moving.

SRAM have acquired their way into making just about everything you would need to build a bike except the frame. Yes they are a global evil mega-corp now but probably the most innovative and diverse one in the cycling world, and of course they are a cycle company not properly evil like Gasprom, Starbucks or Nestle…

All that from making twisty gear changers that half the world disliked twenty five odd years ago, Shimano are coming up on 93 years old campag are over 80, both unquestionably important to cycling but SRAM have done more to change cycling equipment in the last two decades than either of the old boys…

cookeaa

Outland (points to those who know why)

VPP?

Caher

Boardman

doof_doof
    Free Member

Where would we be without the pedal-kicking feedback of VPP 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Currently not specialized if only for their great ideas…
    Bespoke shock mounts that mean you can’t swap the shock
    142+ for not a really good reason
    Roval wheels that took 4 months to get spokes for
    Press shit BB’s
    Not being able to make chain stays strong enough for quite a while
    Having a bigger legal team than a common sense team

Giant? Too much 650b Kool aid to commiserate from missing out on early 29r’s

Shimano?
    With the exception of shadow mechs to catch up with SRAM not that much recently

My vote sits with SRAM
    11sp and Narrow Wide Chain Rings – probably the best new product in 5 years
    Hitting the market with new Mechs back in the 05/06 ish which highlighted how bad Shimano ones were at the time
    The Reverb
    Making RockShox forks something people wanted – if the hype over the new Pike is anything to go by.

kiwijohn

Renthal? Really? I would put Thomson ahead of them.
    My choice is a tie between between SRAM & Fox with a medal for Giant for value for money, if not particularly exciting.

jameso

11sp and Narrow Wide Chain Rings – probably the best new product in 5 years

Which needed the clutch mech to work – Shimano had that first. SRAM reacted pretty quick there. tbh 1×11 isn’t for everyone but it’s a great option.
    I’m not pro one over the other, SRAM have impressed me in recent years and that’s from a lifetime on Shimano, but SRAMs recent innovations don’t overshadow Shimano’s 30 years of work in cycling quite yet. But they’re getting good, very creative, it has to be said.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘what do you think is the best bike company?’ is closed to new replies.