Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What do you think fat or not so fat…?
  • jamj1974

Considering buying a new bike – not for anything more than fun in the woods and on the hills. I may go 1×10 or SS but haven’t decided yet and is the simple bit!

The question is 29+ or fully fat…?

What do you guys think…?

For info – I have a 29’er SS, 26″ trail hardtail, 26″ rigid and 26″ enduro bike and this will be an addition not a replacement.

jamj1974

It will also be rigid!

akira

Full fat, 29+ might be but close to your 29er. Might as well get something completely different, also they’re ace fun.

m0rk
    Free Member

Fully fat, and gears unless you like pushing.

jamj1974

I was leaning towards full fat for the reasons you suggest – so that is helpful. Was also thinking 1×10 with 40T top sprocket. That should be low enough with a 32/34 for relatively flat XC and small hills (Midlands-based so thinking Cannock, Malverns, Mynd etc…)?

For both I’m thinking Surly. Any other options worth considering – advice from fatbike afficiados would be cool!

rickmeister

Take your time, dont rush, loads to look at now. buy a full bike not a frame then self build, but have a good look around, ukfatbikes is a great start.

Steel, Aluminium, carbon, some very good full bike deals and also some eye watering top end bikes.

takisawa2

Stooge.

akira

I’m running a Fatty and loving it 32t with 11-36 on the back. Carbon fork and drilled rims, hard to beat for the money, other bikes have been gathering dust.

jamj1974

Whatever I was getting was thinking of buying a reasonable frame and building up – if only because that’s what I usually do for most of my bikes. 4 of my last 5 bikes have been that way so interested in why building from a full bike basis would be good rickmeister? Probably not going top-end – more mid-range. I love steel frames for rigid bikes and thought this would be a good way forward again…?

JoeG
    Free Member

Go fat! My On-One Fatty is a lot of fun on the trails! I’m sure that others are, too.

Paceman
    Free Member

On-One Fatty frames and forks are on offer right now.

Personally I’d go 29+ though… I absolutely love my Surly Krampus but there are other options and more coming out all brogue time; e.g. Genesis Longitude looks nice, Singular Rooster, Niner RIP9+, and the new Jones 29+. I’ve also been lusting after a Stooge for ages as someone mentioned above.

rickmeister

Think Scotroutes summed it up, a fair bit of Fatbike kit is not covered by so many standards as regular MTB is.

Cranks, hubs, and a fair bit of other stuff if building from scratch needs careful selection. Front hubs are 135mm, rears, 2 sizes, 170 or 190 depending on tyre width, I think Surley Pugs are different again…. then making sure that there is clearance for the gears to get full range around the tyres. Front mechs often need spacing out and are different too.. Then forks, adding the current Bluto suss fork will hit the downtube on some frames if rotated far enough..

There are also carbon frames and rims from China if you want to go that direction…

Don’t get me wrong I love building from a frame upwards but the bits can be sourced individually but you need to make sure its all going to fit together. Plus as a package it will costa fair bit less and you will be riding sooner.

Its not a world of pain and dont let me put you off either, its just different getting Fatbike stuff together for a self build. Perhaps a good frame with a Lefty fork, its possible but needs bringing together.

Spesh, Pugsly, Mukluk, 9:Zero:7, Salsa etc etc all make Fatbikes with good kit and increasingly, a suspension fork. Given that a Bluto fork is over £400 alone.. adding one to a rigid bike is expensive. Almost better to buy a bike with a Bluto and add a rigid fork if you want…. but suss (or Full Suss Fat), does seem to make sense. (I have suspension for summer trails and rigid for winter / snow)

HTH

doh
    Free Member

The fatty is very cheap just now and that should also bring 2nd hand prices down.
    I wouldn’t get too hung up on frame material cos by the time you stick 4-5inch of 8psi rubber on I’m guessing the “brings trAils alive, steel is real” feeling is lost.
    I’m sure some asshat will be along shortly to say the opposite;)

jamj1974

Thanks rickmeister – that’s excellent information. Much appreciated!

fatbiker
    Free Member

Hi

Sorry to disagree but there more than just 170mm and 190mm rear hub standards. Also not just 135mm front either.

Rear Qr 135mm , 170mm , thru axel 177mm , 190mm , 197mm.

Front QR135mm and thru axel 150mm.

Also be careful choosing a Chinese carbon frame as they’re in the early stages of customer testing and 190/170mm or 177/197mm are not what they seem.

See here http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/chinese-carbon-fatty-889515.html

For more fat bike info of all types

See here http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/

HTH

fatbiker

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What do you think fat or not so fat…?’ is closed to new replies.