Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • What do you spend on fuel a week ? School runs etc
  • wilburt
    Free Member

Iain, with purchase costs and insurance etc that must be c.1k a month for cars, even with a healthy income thats gotta sting a bit?

tomaso
    Free Member

Got a big Mercedes-Benz Sprinter campervan as only vehicle, but all school runs are on foot scooter or bicycle. A couple of evening activities a week mean van is needed but it’s very local so £10 per week max.

iainc

wilburt – Member
    Iain, with purchase costs and insurance etc that must be c.1k a month for cars, even with a healthy income thats gotta sting a bit?

….. mine is a Company car, so does all the miles wherever possible. Only ‘actual’ cost for it is fuel (plus a load of tax 🙁 )

Wife’s car is 4 yrs old and paid off, so really just insurance and maintenance.

But yes, family travel costs us more than the mortgage…

Drac

I do about £180 per month in my car (60 miles per day commuting + weekend running around)

What they hell are you driving?

School – when she was at primary, she was 5 minutes walk away. Now she’s at secondary, the free bus is 5 minutes walk away.

Other – my vehicle is used for work and anywhere between £75 and £200 p/w depending on location and price of diesel.

Weekend running about just gets lost in that.

As said by others earlier, I don’t really get hung up on it – I wouldn’t drive a 3 litre V6 if I was that bothered. I also don’t know the price of milk.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£15 a week gets me a 52 mile round trip 5 days a week. Honda NC700 = 85mpg, see?
    Well, currently a real 84.3mpg to be precise.

bearnecessities

What Drac said 🙂 (and personally about £100 a week).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just checked the figures and in the last year to date I’ve spent £736.80 on fuel to do 10,684 miles.
    £100 a week? You’re kidding right? You must spend all day in a car, which is no way to live a life.

bearnecessities

No, not kidding. I do a lot of driving 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wow

I’ve got over 5 years worth of records (Road Trip app) for our car and with my interest pricked I’ve just been taking a look at it, as the app chucks out all sorts of data.

Over the whole 5+ years we’ve averaged over 12,000 miles in the car.
    Over the last 2 we’ve aversged 7,500 miles a year
    Over the last three months we’ve averaged a whisker over 4000 miles a year (extrapolated out)

So our car use is dropping quite drastically.
    Using the same app I know that all the RUNNING costs (excl fixed costs like tax and insurance which are cheap) for my motorbike are less then just the fuel on the car
    Car fuel only 15.2p/mile.
    Motorbike all costs 13.1p/mile.
    The other day I woked out the bike saves me an hour a day/10 days a year in traffic jam time too
    Now, I’ve got the bike for the job, but I’ve never crunched all these numbers before but as well as 10 days is saving me £224 a year as well. And it’ll never depreciate anywhere near as much as a car either.
    Blimey.
    Thanks for posting the thread, OP, it’s made me realise how right my choice is, and how lucky I am to have this option. 🙂

bearnecessities

It was a finger in the air figure average to be honest. I just checked my mileage log for Feb and it’s 3,041.

I just really like Mcdonald’s coffee 😀

andy8442
    Free Member

Jeez. I fill my car up at least once a week, and my wife’s once every 3 weeks. Thats about £300 a month, which is about £75 is a week ( thats a quiet month for us both) Shit!…….oh, and the kids walk to school normally.

Thats in two economical diesels as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What do you spend on fuel a week ? School runs etc’ is closed to new replies.