Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • What do you spend on fuel a week ? School runs etc
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

School runs after school clubs general weekend usage as a family n??

£15 to £20 per week ???

Not really interested in commuter amounts but feel free to add.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

During the week? £/$0
    Weekends max of about £50 (Uk equivalent) 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 weekends.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Nothing. We are lucky enough to live close enough to school that the kids walk there on their own. Gage gone since being 7 and 9

I only use the car for work one day every couple of weeks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

Parents doing the school run probably cost me between £5-10 per week and 1 to 1.5 hours due to extra traffic. Does that count? 👿

wilburt
    Free Member

Nothing we are sensible enough to live close enough to school that the kids can walk there on their own. So an occasional day trip or somewhere different with the dogs. £5/10?

loddrik
    Free Member

A tenner diesel in mine and £20 petrol in the wife’s. I do a couple of school runs a week and some shop trips but that’s about it.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I usually drive to work twice a week, when I need to leave the office for an offsite meeting and Mondays when I leave my work clothes for the rest of the week when I commute on my bike. Last 2 months I’ve been unable to cycle in been spending £30 – £50 a week extra on fuel.

mattbee

Including commuting I Spend £30-50 per week, which is 250-300 miles in my T5.

hora
    Free Member

£0. Cycle and walk.

Around the roads to his dchool are lots of big speed humps. You always see cars ‘galloping’ over them. No one slows down. Idiots.

tang
    Free Member

£10pw in the family car for normal term time, that’s all driving not just school runs.

jota180
    Free Member

About £20 just for playtime, ragging motorbikes around etc.

£0 for anything else

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Hora don’t you take the kids to clubs, day trips, walks in the hills, visit relatives?

hora
    Free Member

Afterschool club is in the school.

Trips? Two parks within 50m & 200m from home so football etc in the nice evenings.

Weekends i try to tie in visits to relatives with a bike ride/in the car.

Drac

£0 they walk to them.

Ok with trips ‘to the hills’ about £5 a week as the beach, hills and such are all on our doorstep.

Edric64
    Free Member

school football and work going to the pub etc between two vehicles about £130 a week

Stoner
    Free Member

£25 a week on average through the year for the 27mpg landrover. Used for school runs, rugby matches/training/shopping and errands to town. My daily drive.

johndoh
    Free Member

wilburt – Member
    Nothing we are sensible enough to live close enough to school that the kids can walk there on their own. So an occasional day trip or somewhere different with the dogs. £5/10?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

FFS

cloudnine
    Free Member

No idea.. just fill it up to the top when it gets empty.
    We use what we use..

DrP

A few extra sausages and some coffee keep this bad boy fuelled up for the family fiesta that is the school run…

DrP

mountainman

Nothing now as local education provides school ,prior to getting on bus was 25-30 euro week .
    h
    Where as work costs me 40 euro wk, soon as clocks change n get over this lurgy we’ve al had will be biking half that

Andy-R

I put about £25 of diesel in my van each week but most of that’s for work.

In the far distant past we never had “school runs” as our kids walked to primary school and got the bus to secondary schools.

sharkbait
    Free Member

About £35-40/week (max, depending on which car) for the school run and taking/collecting from rowing and athletics clubs.

I work from home though so that offsets it a bit.

On top of that we pay £3.75/day for the bus to take daughter #1 to school and back.

weeksy

Currently as we’re living in a different village to the one we should be.. about £20 a week on that stuff… £40 if you count family visit every weekend.

That should drop though very soon.

mark90
    Free Member

Schools runs = £0
    Clubs / activities ~£5 (have to drive to swimming and climbing)
    Weekend family days out ~ anything from £0 to £60 maybe more if it’s a full weekend away.

MoreCashThanDash

I cycle to work 2-3 days a week, wife has to drive every day for work though half of that she can claim back. Wife or kids out Monday, Tues, Fri and Saturday that need to be driven, others we walk. Usually out as a family one day at the weekend, walking or riding in the Peak.

Probably £30-35 a week normal fuel cost. Plus £10 a week for Jnr’s school bus. When LittleMissMC is at secondary as well you have to say that driving them both will be cheaper, though when they are more confident riding in traffic hopefully they could ride it.

robdob
    Free Member

No school run for me – £40 a week on diesel…… 🙁

I’d love to cycle to work but I have to have the car available for work purposes so even though my work encourages cycling quite a lot I can’t actually do it.

matt_outandabout

Kids walk to school by themselves (secondary pair it is a mile, Primary5 lad about half a mile).
    All clubs they walk to add they are similar distances, apart from bike club that is 7 miles away. I guess that costs a couple of quid in fuel/fiver overall.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d love to cycle to work but I have to have the car available for work purposes so even though my work encourages cycling quite a lot I can’t actually do it.

Can’t you leave the car at work and cycle home/in?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…I should have said from the start the children walk to school
    the car is used for SWMBO to go
    1. work 3 miles each way twice a week
    2. beavers 1.5 miles (4 journey)
    3. swimming 2.5 miles
    4. I may use it the odd eve
    5. weekends depends but lets say 20- 30 miles

Say 70 miles per week ? lets call it 80 miles pw.

all this is costing between £20-25 per week does this sound a lot ?

My wife blames me and says when I drive her car I drive it to aggressively (3 litre petrol)

How much could we really save say with a Golf diesel or 1.6 petrol ? I don’t think very much…all things considered.

wwaswas

15mpg probably isn’t that great, tbh, but lots of short journeys with a cold engine won’t be helping.

Drac

How much could we really save say with a Golf diesel or 1.6 petrol ? I don’t think very much…all things considered.

About £10 to £15 a week.

hora
    Free Member

£40 a week on diesel

Thats good. My car gets through £50 just at the weekend 😀

ransos
    Free Member

£0. Though cycling to the nursery probably requires an additional bacon buttie or two.

dknwhy

£5 a week probably on average.

We both walk to work and walk the youngest to school (across the road). Eldest gets the bus (free bus pass for 11-15 year olds).

Drive to the supermarket once every 7-10 days for the big shop but buy anything else locally as we have several Tesco/Sainsbury/Waitrose local stores within 5-10 minutes that we can grab fresh stuff from.
    Drive the youngest to swimming club once a week.

I think if I was single and it wasn’t for the family days out, I wouldn’t bother with a car.

the-muffin-man

Nothing – daughter gets free school bus.

freeagent
    Free Member

I do about £180 per month in my car (60 miles per day commuting + weekend running around)

My wife does about £120 per month, which includes dropping the kids off/picking them up every day + a 12 mile round trip to work.

ads678

No idea.. just fill it up to the top when it gets empty.
    We use what we use..

This. I also don’t know how much milk costs!!* We walk the kids to school, and football is after school at the school so that doesn’t cost anything. Swimming on a saturday morning is about 3 or 4 miles away so i suppose that cost’s a few quid. 1.9 TDI Passat Estate???

*I’m not loaded or owt, I just don’t really care.

milky1980
    Free Member

Nothing at all.

But then I have no kids (or plan to have any) and cycle to work every day. My car doesn’t move for the whole week at times! Looking at the figures you’re all putting up it saves me a small fortune!

I do do 15k a year in the car but the majority of that is with a bike in tow, usually combine visiting friends and family with a ride on the way back.

iainc

2 kids, 2 cars, 2 working parents. Kids walk to and from school most of the time, but need ferried around clubs, footy games etc, often at same time in different places, so cars do a lot of running around.

1 diesel (mine) which does all the longer stuff and bike transport, around 18k miles pa, wife’s small petrol Kia, does 6k pa. We were paying around £400 a month on fuel, it’s now around £350 due drop in price.

footflaps

Our two cats don’t actually go to school yet, but all the neighbour’s kids cycle to school, so bugger all school runs in my street.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What do you spend on fuel a week ? School runs etc’ is closed to new replies.