Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • What do you spend a week?
  • miketually
    Free Member

I would expect the vast majority of the population to ‘sail close to the wind’ in our materialism obsessed county.

It’s scary when I hear some people talk about their mortgage sizes. Especially when they also run two large newish cars and have expensive holidays each year, and I know roughly what they earn.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No idea about weekly, but monthly (double everything to account for the GF, and she earns less)

£450 my half of rent/mortgagae/council/energy/etc
    £160 running the car (excluding depereciation, that’s paid for out of the savings when it’s ‘new’).
    £80 Gym fees
    £30 phone
    £40 assorted other club subs etc
    £100 Food
    =£860 out of £2100

Everything else is ‘disposable’, the bulk of it’s saved for a bigger house deposit, the remainder spent on meals out and ‘stuff’, everything from nececary clothes to bike parts, but stuff that if the feaces hit the blower wouldn’t be spent. In a normal month, buying a normal ammount of clothes, shoes, bike parts, etc, I’d save about £1k, but that rarely happens as there’s always something to pay for (holliday, furniture, etc). God knows how we’ll cope with a bigger mortgage, GF is hopeless at budgeting so having the savings/buffer portion of our income fixed scares me!

It’s scary when I hear some people talk about their mortgage sizes. Especially when they also run two large newish cars and have expensive holidays each year, and I know roughly what they earn.

Different mindset, why scrimp and save when you can have a nice house and all the trimmings now? Discussing this with friends the other day, in the South East to get the house with a garden any of us want (rather than the 2 up 2 down terrace with a yard or a flat anyone actualy ‘needs’) is £350k! Not being excessive, that’s just a 3-4 bed semi or detached house on an overcrowded new build estate in Bracknell!

miketually
    Free Member

in the South East to get the house with a garden any of us want (rather than the 2 up 2 down terrace with a yard or a flat anyone actualy ‘needs’) is £350k! Not being excessive, that’s just a 3-4 bed semi or detached house on an overcrowded new build estate in Bracknell!

Our large 1920s 3-bed semi-, in a nice area of the unfashionable side of town, with a 0.3 acre garden (with a stable and a garage), was recently valued at £140k 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Our large 1920s 3-bed semi-, in a nice area of the unfashionable side of town, with a 0.3 acre garden (with a stable and a garage), was recently valued at £140k

which is precicely why we seriously considdered an 8 bed house in the Yorkshire moors for £180k! Only a smidge more than our flat is worth!

miketually
    Free Member

which is precicely why we seriously considdered an 8 bed house in the Yorkshire moors for £180k! Only a smidge more than our flat is worth!

My sister recently moved from a 2 bed flat in Gateshead to a 3 bed cottage near Aviemore for no increase in rental cost 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘What do you spend a week?’ is closed to new replies.