Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What do you say when you meet a childhood hero?
  • jimster
    Free Member

Week before last we were in Barnstaple sat outside a cafe and Steve Howe walked past – absolutely gobsmacked I jumped up and called his name out and fair play to the bloke he came back said hello and signed the Clive Cussler book Mrs J was reading – all I could blurt out was "I've always admired you work" like a bloody teenager. 😳

Unfortunately he was dressed like an extra from LOTR.

wwaswas

If Captain Scarlet walks into Costa I will be gobsmacked.

Drac

Hello!

Harry_the_Spider

Me too!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Steve Howe

Sorry, but who is he?

wwaswas

I didn't like to ask.

Drac

I didn't like to ask.

Or me.

MrAgreeable

Bloke out of Yes?

I hate to think what you would do if you bumped into all of Emerson, Lake and Palmer. 🙂

donald
    Free Member

Drac – Member

Hello!

Your childhood hero was Lionel Ritchie?

jimster
    Free Member

That's the fella, looks like Elrond from the Peter Jackson films.

Have to be honest, I wouldn't have been too bothered if it'd been anyone else walk past – but he is one of my favourite artists, dunno why.

khegs
    Free Member

I'd just say hello, and be polite, of course thats what I'd try to do, it'd probably come out as "ebeh!" or something similarly incoherent, and as Bob Fripp is famously tetchy that might not go down all that well 😉

Bill Bruford was very nice when I met him, as was John Whetton ("You weren't even born when I recorded those albums"), Micheal Giles and David Bowie.

Peter Gabriel was a grumpy sod though, but he might just have been having an off day. Met them all at a King Crimson gig in the early 90s

sideshowdave
    Free Member

easy…………………….. hello Dad 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Hello, Mr Polanski….

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

i fixed colin mcrae's chain up on the tress black run way back. he was razzing around on his kona and as we were waiting for one of the lads he came down with a snapped chain. was an honour and a privilege. he was pretty handy on a bike too. i thought i hid the inner child jumping up and down inside quite well. mind you i dont fix anyone else's chain with out payment..

jimmy

met Dave Mcleod at Gatwick airport. The queue was massive so stood nect to him for a good hour smiling and saying nothing. Awkward times.

Riksbar

I bought John Peel a breakfast pancake at Glastonbury one year, if only for playing public enemy.

NZCol

I met Daley Thompson in Sydney one sunny day when i was skiving off having a coffee. He was with Sue Barker. All i could manage was to shout out "F&*K me its Daley Thompson – you legend !" he came over and had a coffee with us , I was absolutely stoked as he is still a total legend in my eyes. Sue Barker was lovely, i had a semi the whole time.

samuri
    Free Member

I've met Drac, he wasn't that great. They say you should never meet your heros, you'll always be disappointed.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What do you say when you meet a childhood hero?’ is closed to new replies.