Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What do you say to this?
  • spacemonkey

Have been speaking with a prospective new customer for a few weeks and we were due to sort some stuff out today. However, she emailed me this last night:

"I will not be around for the next couple of weeks because my mother (who had beed unwell for some time, passed away in her sleep last night). I will call you when I am back"

All our discussions have been over the phone, so in a way it's not like we "know" each other.

What say you? Something, or nothing?

Cheers

rOcKeTdOg

if you have got her mobile, txt " fully understand, contact me when you can, let me know if i can help etc etc"

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You've got to say something, a biref e-mail is better than a text.

But be warned you may have just been given the brush off, a friends mum, unhappy at the cost of a bathroom her husband had chosen called the company back after they'd been out to measure to say he'd died and they wouldn't be able to go ahead with the project at this time!

spacemonkey

Hmm, I don't know her well enough to say "… let me know if I can help …"

Might have to be something like, "I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Call me when you're ready."

rOcKeTdOg

ah sorry i missed the "it's not" out of "we know each other"

yea email, " sorry to hear your sad news, get in touch when you can" etc etc as you have put yourself

spacemonkey

But be warned you may have just been given the brush off

No, not at all. The organisation (6000 people) is already a customer and I know a few people there (in other Directorates). THis isn't a "When are you gonna order that bathroom off me" kind of thang.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It's not your problem. If you can find another buyer, sell.

IMHO.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sorry assumed you were a tradesman of sort, worried about ensuring you keep a customer happy and get the business.

Sometimes I wonder what people did before the internet existed, how did people previously make decisions about what is obviously the right thing to do??!!

Put yourself in her position, if you told someone that and they said nothing you'd think they were a bit of a c0ck! Or a normal salesman! If they said 'let me know if I can help' you'd think they were weird.

A polite e-mail empathising with her situation is so obvious I'm wondering whether you even deserve your monthly pay check!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I agree, but you're under no moral obligation to hold on to the item, was my point…

spacemonkey

There is no "one off" item and I'm not a tradesman. Anyway, job done. TVM.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What do you say to this?’ is closed to new replies.