Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What do you reckon about this workshop stand?
  • hazzeryoda
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

Well if you buy it, and it’s crap, and he tries to screw you over, I don’t live far away… 😉

Anyway, serious note… Looks “ok” but like anything, you get what you pay for. I suspect if you want to use it about once a month it’ll probably last you a few years, whereas if you’re going to use it all day every day, spending 5 or 6 times that on a Park Tools one or similar would be money well spent in longevity terms.

What do you want to do with it anyway? I bought an Andy Stand as I didn’t really need a proper full on stand like that, and didn’t want to spend the money either. The Andy Stand is great, does exactly what I need it to, hold the bike upright, as and when I need to tinker at all.

tomhoward

I’ve got one and tbh you get what you pay for. There’s a lot of plastic, so when it all flexes the bike wobbles a bit. It holds stuff securely and isn’t gonna fall over. Imagine having a plastic vice.

Were I to shop for another, I’d prob spend the extra money to get one with a metal clamp.

tomfun

Same situation as Tomhoward….

Its the bike stand that Aldi were selling a couple of years ok for £30. Within a week or two I had to bodge mine by drilling some bolts through the clamp to stop it moving as the Bike would just rotate towards the ground. Still works now a year or two on but wont last much longer.

RustyMac

I have one, got it when Lidle were selling them for £30. It is pretty heavy and the leggs can extend out quite far so i have found it really solid.
    The clamp has a tendancy to rotate with the weight of a bike held by the seat tube however i fixed this in a slightly less dramatic way than tom. I wrapped a section of cloth backed sand paper round the horazontal silver tube under the clamp and under the bit where it joins the rest of the stand. This has stopped the rotation for me and although a little bit of a fiddle to fit cost buttons.

lasty
    Free Member

Bought the aldi one a couple of years ago and still going strong …
    Great for changing wheels , trimming gears , re-cabling , washing etc etc but i wouldn`t want to change a bb with the bike on the stand …
    Only really suitable for clamping on the top tube – forget about clamping the seatpost as it`s just too unbalanced but overall very useful 😆

thesurfbus
    Free Member

They can’t be to bad they have sold 1790 of them.
    I have the wall mount version and its great for the money, especially as it has 2 wall mounts, one for the inside of the shed and one for the outside.

kayak23

Its the bike stand that Aldi were selling a couple of years ok for £30. Within a week or two I had to bodge mine by drilling some bolts through the clamp to stop it moving as the Bike would just rotate towards the ground.

Yup, Aldi one. I did the same ‘modification’ to mine. Put a bolt through the clamps to stop it turning. Its totally fine for what I need, works great.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That Andy Stand looks a simple solution but flipping heck £45 for a bit of metal ?!?!

hazzeryoda
    Free Member

Nice, thanks people.

I am using my garage to fix people’s bikes in so while I won’t be using it every day, it certainly will get some use every fortnight or week say.

Plus, I will definitely be changing BBs on it.

I currently have one of the A-Frame style ones and that keeps slipping when doing BBs.

Looks like I will need to shell out a bit more.
    How about this one?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/velo-works-workshop-stand-id_8034462.html

Is it a metal clamp?

Cheers,
    H

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought one the other week that someone liked to and got 10/10 in a mag test. Think it was the x-tools one off CRC, but bought off ribble for £55 posted.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What do you reckon about this workshop stand?’ is closed to new replies.