Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What do you keep your tools in, in your camelbak?
  • jekkyl

can anyone recommend the Camelbak tool roll or what else would you suggest?

MrSparkle

What do you keep your tools in, in your camelbak?

Yes.

pipiom
    Free Member

Yes

jekkyl

lol, well how else might you word it?
    or do you mean just loose?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the little pockets in my camelback, keeps the multi tool, CO2 and keys nice and secure. Pump/Shock Pump live in the main bag. What else you packing?

Trimix
    Free Member

Eh ?

So that’s a bag you put in a bag then. Which you fill full of tools ?

Why not check your bike before you ride and just take a tiny multi tool, which is small enough to go in your camel back or even your pocket.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What tools, I don’t carry any

jekkyl

spare tube (I am tubeless but they do fail from time to time as we all know)
    allen key set + small cross head
    2 tyre levers
    spare quick links
    spare mech hanger & screws
    mini pump (although that can be frame mounted)
    small pliers
    spare brake pads
    chain splitter
    couple of cable ties

standard stuff based on experience of potential issues.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What tools, I don’t carry any

Why not check your bike before you ride and just take a tiny multi tool,

I do love the check it before you leave one (at least Trimix does take something)
    I’ve never snapped a chain, hanger or had a bolt work loose in the garage 😉 Or twisted bars round and needed to re tighten the stem or move a mangles shifter or brake

mikewsmith
    Free Member

spare tube (I am tubeless but they do fail from time to time as we all know)
    allen key set + small cross head
    2 tyre levers
    spare quick links
    spare mech hanger & screws
    mini pump (although that can be frame mounted)
    small pliers
    spare brake pads
    chain splitter
    couple of cable ties

Allen Key, screwdriver & Chain splitter on one multi tool
    zip lock bag with hanger and quick link (probably pop pads in there too)
    Tyre levers in camelback tool pocket?

momo

Mine live in the side pockets on my camelback, minipump – with duct tape wrapped around the body – and a spare tube in one side, multi tool in the other with a large puncture repair kit box containing glue, patches, folding pliers (for undoing tubeless valves) spare gear cable, quick link and a pair of tyre levers. a few cable ties are tucked into the main pocket with a small first aid kit. I also have a pair of nitrile gloves in case there are any really mucky jobs/blood to be dealt with.

On my HT I use a saddle bag with the pump mounted under the bottle cage. I have 2 complete sets of tools so that I don’t need to worry about forgetting anything. I’m about to shift the FS to a similar setup, trying to minimise how much hard, pointy stuff can get between me and the ground in the event of a tactical dismount!

Trimix
    Free Member

My butler follows in the Range Rover with a team of Park Tools mechanics.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I use the tool roll that comes with Osprey packs, which is ideal in pretty much every way, but I do wish it was waterproof, to stop my tools getting slightly rusty.

thepodge
    Free Member

Normal tools and spares in a saddle pack which depending on the bike and the ride either gets chucked in the camelbak or fitted properly under the seat.

orena45

I recently bought the Camelbak Skyline which comes with the tool wrap. The wrap’s got 3 zipped mesh pockets inside and I keep a multitool, zip ties, puncture repair stuff, tyre levers, chain links etc in. It closes with a quick release buckle-type thing which cinches down.

It’s good for keeping stuff together but any more than 2 bulky things in it like a multi-tool, C02 canisters and say a roll of electrical tape and you won’t get it to close.

I like it. Keeps all the medium-sized and little things together and you can easily transfer it between bikes/packs. No idea what it costs to buy separately to say whether it’s worth the price.

Stevelol
    Free Member

In a dry bag, anything inner tube or tyre related go in another dry bag, and food in a third one.

nickc

used the tool roll that came with my pack (acre)

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

waterproof, to stop my tools getting slightly rusty.

multi tool in plastic sandwich bag here
    + zip ties + chain link + pump + plastic valve key

I check over the bike before I go out so wont need brake pads
    No spare tube, tubeless
    No spare mech hanger
    No spare gear cable

I carry as little as possible

metcalt

I use the tool roll that comes with Osprey packs, which is ideal in pretty much every way, but I do wish it was waterproof, to stop my tools getting slightly rusty.

This, it’s a great idea but with it being in the bottom pocket it can get soggy.

Works well to keep all your tools together, if you’ve got two packs you use its great to just be able to throw everything in together, just remember to put it back in when you change bag. Otherwise I’ve heard *ahem* that your crank might come loose and everything you need will be miles away 😳

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got two Dakine somethingorothers there are lots of specific tool-shaped pockets for stuff c/w little icons

There are a few ooohs and aaahs when I get my retractable pump out I can tell you

Awesomez

ads678

Zip lock freezer bag for me.

Multi tool, zip ties, spare links, brake pads, inner tube and self adhesive patches, spoke key, chain tool, tyre levers & emergency mech hanger.

Pump just goes in the bag for MTB, or on the frame on the commuter.

qwerty
    Free Member

I use a Thomson seat post bag (short) to keep all my tools together, I then put that bag into my Camelbak bag.

proutster
    Free Member

Clip-lock tupperware box for me – keeps everything in its place.

And everything has to be in its place, doesn’t it? 😳

SaxonRider

I like the look of that Camelbak thing. I’m with you jekkyl: I like being prepared, and carrying my stuff in an organised way.

At the present, ‘organised’ only means: ‘managed to not fall out of the pack since last ride’.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t use a Camebak. 🙁

cnud
    Free Member

Beerbabe innertube tool roll Clicky

rossburton
    Free Member

I made a tool roll out of an old tee a few years back, presumably before Camelbak made that roll because I’d have bought it if I knew about it. Sewing machines are pretty easy to use if all you care about is a few straight lines!

Prototype, from my son’s old PJs and pins:

Real thing, tied up:

Northwind

Not really a tool roll fan tbh, I just use a wee drawstring bag I acquired somewhere.

jimdubleyou

I zip tie/staple everything I take to a bit of cardboard, with the Mrs’ phone number written on it.

This fits into a small ziploc.

Attached to card are a multi-tool, 3 tyre levers, 2 CO2 canisters, 2 spare missing links and the mech-hanger screw* and a mini pump/inflator loose in the bag.

Tube(s) go where they fit in the bag, normally in another ziploc.

*it’s a canyon so the screw is supposed to break before the hanger & the frame.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My MTB tools live in neat little compartments in my Evoc bag, ready to ride. Conversely my road tools/spares live in a waterproof GPS bag that I can fit in my jersey pocket.

steve_b77
    Free Member

When i used / use a back pack they just go in the little pocket at the front with the dividers in it for tools.

Tubes get slung in the main bit and that’s about it.

Saying that I’ve never taken more than:
    – Multi-tool
    – 2 Tyre levers
    – A chain link
    – sticky patches

Which incidentally fit nicely in a saddle pack or a Syncros Bidon Bag to remove the requirement for a camelpak completely.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I keep meaning to buy a tool roll in the meantime I have a blue dry bag for spares, a red one for clothes and a sort of brown one for food.

I get annoyed with people who don’t bring kit out with them and then go looking for you to provide them with stuff when their chain snaps, crank falls off etc.

My latest addition is a 30mm long piece of plastic overflow pipe to facilitate singlespeeding following a smashed mech.

canopy
    Free Member

I suppose the answers here depend which pack you’re using. I’m using a Mule with a 3L bladder, take just over 2L with some hydration tablets in and almost always drink the whole 2 litres.

bike/pads etc always checked over etc before a ride

small tool compartment at the bottom

– chain breaker (been used 3 times in the wild in the past 2 years)
    – quicklinks (new addition)
    – selection of allen keys in a zip lock bag (also been used)
    – tyre levers
    – a few zip ties
    – a few bits of clean workshop blue towel
    – small flat head screwdriver suitable for mech adjustments
    – small pliers
    – spare gear cable
    – some “leaches” puncture patches
    – old school puncture repair kit
    – number of energy bars required + 1
    – car keys

main compartment

– OS map of where i’m riding (even i’m riding home turf, as its good for discussing things or helping lost people)
    – mini tyre pump
    – shock pump
    – spare tube
    – cheap/small pack a mac in case of an extreme downpour
    – sunglasses with clear / changeable lenses
    – a tube compression bandage thing (good for turned ankles/sprains)
    – pair of neck/face wrap snood things to go full ninja
    – other set of riding gloves (long and short finger, depends what i’m wearing)
    – a mud/rain cover as the camelbak doesnt have an integrated one
    – digital camera
    – wallet

media compartment
    – charged iphone in waterproof case, strava’d up

so basically, not carrying a trox 10, a bleed kit or a workshop stand?

prior to the camelbak i used a small pack with tools, and two bottles, but now i’m on a full susser which can’t take two bottles with ease (santa cruz superlight) i made the switch. i love the hydration pack now. bottle mounts have even been replaced with lightweight plastic replacements.so there’s nothing on the bike, no silly underseat bag or bottles its all on my back.

i’ve had friends lose bottles and those underseat bags.

in my experience, chains, by far break the most, followed by punctures. only other thing is badly put togother new bikes – have had to fix a friends bike on which the stem was loose and would turn on bumpy ground!

benp1

In a Camelbak Mule I just use the lower tool pocket for all the bits, tube lives in the main pack.

I usually use a bumbag though, so when I need to use the Camelbak I just transfer the bits from my bumbag to the Camelbak. Only takes a couple of min the night before while I have to do other bits like fill up the bladder

whitestone
    Free Member

Varies from a multi-tool shoved in to one of the inner mesh pockets to an old Hope BB container with multi-tool, spare links, zip-ties among other stuff.

peteimpreza

In my head tube

steve_b77
    Free Member

small tool compartment at the bottom

– chain breaker (been used 3 times in the wild in the past 2 years)
    – quicklinks (new addition)
    – selection of allen keys in a zip lock bag (also been used)
    – tyre levers
    – a few zip ties
    – a few bits of clean workshop blue towel
    – small flat head screwdriver suitable for mech adjustments
    – small pliers
    – spare gear cable
    – some “leaches” puncture patches
    – old school puncture repair kit
    – number of energy bars required + 1
    – car keys

main compartment

– OS map of where i’m riding (even i’m riding home turf, as its good for discussing things or helping lost people)
    – mini tyre pump
    – shock pump
    – spare tube
    – cheap/small pack a mac in case of an extreme downpour
    – sunglasses with clear / changeable lenses
    – a tube compression bandage thing (good for turned ankles/sprains)
    – pair of neck/face wrap snood things to go full ninja
    – other set of riding gloves (long and short finger, depends what i’m wearing)
    – a mud/rain cover as the camelbak doesnt have an integrated one
    – digital camera
    – wallet

media compartment
    – charged iphone in waterproof case, strava’d up

I don’t think I take that much stuff on holiday, let alone on a jaunt round the locale!!!

It sounds like the entire contents of my tool box / stakka box that comes to Marathons, XC races and 24hr events and sits in the car.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

EVOC backpack with tool pocket.
    Crank Bros multi tool
    Tie wraps,
    Quick links
    Inner tube
    Tubeless repair kit
    Puncture kit for the tube
    Duct tape
    Mini pump
    Tyre levers
    Vinyl gloves

Hmm that’s quite a lot.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Usual stuff but mine goes in a flat’ish square lunch box.

canopy
    Free Member

I don’t think I take that much stuff on holiday, let alone on a jaunt round the locale!!!

It sounds like the entire contents of my tool box / stakka box that comes to Marathons, XC races and 24hr events and sits in the car.

haha yeah – seems like a lot, but most of it is lightweight and padded. the heavier things, after the bladder being full are the tools which have had the most use 🙂

my previous bike was a beater i built from the frame on a tight budget and I was trail testing each addition/improvement incrementally – the toolset comes from that. i can’t see a reason for losing any of it though.

i have at least one friend i have to fix their inner tube with levers before a ride. i make em buy new tubes, and carry spares 🙂 and two of the friends i ride with (separately) don’t know how to fix stuff.

i do have an aluminium tool box i’m working towards being the main home & mobile toolkit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What do you keep your tools in, in your camelbak?’ is closed to new replies.