Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What do you guys think…canyon torque dhx or specialized status….
  • moniex
    Free Member

After our trip to morzine I am thinking of swapping my 2012 150 rear travel nukeproof mega for something more gravity/bikepark use. I have not really used the mega in the uk, as I have little time to ride and if I do I ride my hardtail (cove stiffee 140 travel). The mega was built up just over a year and a half ago and has had about 10 days use. Built as an enduro bike so it can also be used in the uk, but I just haven’t.

I have narrowed my choice down to a specialized status or a canyon torque dhx. I would prefer to buy used, but so far I have only found the status used in a small.

I don’t really like the dual crown forks, they look a bit silly unless you can really ride, and I can’t. I think the canyon is better spec, and I really like the single crown version with the fox forks, but I think I would then have to buy new.

All status bikes look great, but would need some upgrades to get it up to the spec of the canyon.

What do you guys think? Anyone ridden both?

Also, I prefer smaller bikes, so not sure if the canyon in a small would be a bit big. I ride a small 2012 mega and a 15.5″ cove stiffee. My sons short scott voltage also feels nice.

Simone

grum
    Free Member

I realise this is probably an annoying question, but if you’re not using the Mega because you don’t have enough time to ride, are you sure you’re going to use a full on DH bike? I would have thought the Mega is pretty capable of a lot of DH type stuff anyway.

Not ridden the bikes in question so I’m of very little help, sorry!

moniex
    Free Member

Good point, just feels like the mega is a bit of a compromise in morzine, which was more or less the only place I used it.

I work a lot now and when we do ride it is with our boys that are 11 and 13. Any xc and I ride my hardtail, other stuff the kids want to do is uplifts and Aston hill etc. They are not into long epic rides with climbs and descents (we live in Norfolk) that would benefit from a bike like the mega.

To hire bikes in morzine is too expensive, so we bring our own. Our kids now have 26″ bikes, but the 24″ ones they used for a few holidays ended up not costing us anything at all as we bought used, upgraded and sold well. Kids now also have bikes that will sell on when outgrown at not much loss, if any. Hence I want to buy more of a gravity bike so it will be spot on for the hols, and I prefer to buy used so I won’t loose too much money.

You may well be right and I’ll regret it, but then I can always swap again. Kids have a ht and an alps bike, and it works well for them.

I suppose we ski and snowboard, so having stuff that does not get used much is not alien to us.

Simone

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Hi moniex

Just on my way back from morzine myself. There were a lot of status’ out there and they certainly look nice with the xfusion suspension. I have a mega myself but left that at home and took my single crown mini dher. I almost brought the mega with a coil shock and totems but I thought if I was doing that may aswell just bring the other bike. I rode the Cwm carn uplift recently on the mega with a coil shock and can’t say I enjoyed it as much but that could just be down to not having my dh tyres on it. My mate rode her mega all week in morzine and loved it 😉 could you just put a coil fork and shock on your mega with dual ply tyres?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What do you guys think…canyon torque dhx or specialized status….’ is closed to new replies.