Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • What do you get your parents for Christmas?
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

Normally its a framed picture of us doing something. But I’m all out of photos and I’m at a loss what to get them…

Jamie
    Free Member

Normally its a framed picture of us doing something

😯

lucien

A bike…….?
    Not one each, to share, obviously – and they get to keep it in my garage

tk46hal
    Free Member

Mine are now in the 70’s and we always struggle buying for them. This year I’ve got them cinema and Frankie and Bennies gift vouchers as they always talk about going to see a new film but never do!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Usually something bike related. They’re both keen riders in their early 50’s, so its not usually too hard. Some carbon bottle cages and some winter weather gear this year.

loddrik
    Free Member

Both my parents are dead, so at least Christmas is a bit cheaper.

lunge

Concert tickets. They would never buy them themselves and the do enjoy a night out.

Conan257
    Free Member

Voucher for posh afternoon-tea?

Always goes down well….

boxfish
    Free Member

Garden centre vouchers. They can’t get enough of them.

br
    Free Member

Something you think they might enjoy/use (and the receipt)?

This year is easier as I saw my Dad had holes in his wellies when he was walking the dog, for Mum my wife normally buys her something ‘body’ related from the beautician.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheese. And port.

Nice cheese I mean, not like Tesco Value Mild or anything.

ton

nice warm pj’s for my mum this year from m&s.

mudshark
    Free Member

Always a pain getting mine anything as they don’t want anything. They generally get drink.

ourmaninthenorth

Bought my father 24 (different) bottles of beer for his recent birthday. He has asked for a new chamois leather for washing the car.

I’m going to buy my mother a subscription to Granta.

tarquin
    Free Member

Ipad mini so they can facetime me, skype is a pain to organise and be online at the same time. This way they can call and if im not available its no loss. Easier to send me a message directly too if needed.

sweepy
    Free Member

I got my Mum a trilobite fossil, I’m told she likes that sort of thing.

alexpalacefan

Beret for Mum, cheese and Belgian beer for Dad.

APF

woody2000

2 grandkids, it’s the gift that keeps on giving 😉

IHN

Latest season of Mad Men for my Dad. Taking my mum Christmas shopping on Saturday.

cinnamon_girl

I used to get hold of a large box and fill with assorted food items. For example, a fancy jam or preserve, pickle/relish, posh biscuits/savoury crackers, tinned salmon, packs of soup, honey etc etc.

Best place to go was a farm shop for original and good quality products.

yunki
    Free Member

they used to love it when I would perform a little song or a dance for them when I was a young lad, so generally I just get pissed out of my eyelids and slur some Pogues songs at them before falling over by the back door and vomiting in their gardening shoes..

they seem to like it

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

As I was living in Scotland at the time, a couple of years ago I got my parents a ‘taster’ of three different types of whiskey, telling them to find one they liked and ‘when I come back, we’ll finish the bottle’.

As I was about to deploy to Afghanistan it had a certain poignance which they seemed to appreciate.

TooTall
    Free Member

What c_g said – a nice hampr full of foods you know they like that you’ve been out and sourced for them, rather than a store-bought mixed box of tat.
    I’d do the trips to the nice shops, a bit of Paxton and Whitfield for cheese / jam / preserves, even if I was in London on business, pop to Fortnum & Mason for teas and biscuits. Get the stuff that is nicest that they wouldn’t treat themselves to. Make some of it if you can.

Steelsreal

my dad is a nightmare,

87 retired master mariner, no hobbies, no interests, doesn’t watch TV, doesn’t read, doesn’t drink..

All presents for the last 40 years are in his wardrobe boxed and unused…

Thinking about sneaking in, taking some presents from a few years back and giving them to him again.

Thing his he gets a bit sulky if he doesn’t get a massive pile of pressies…

absolute nightmare..

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Dad,always has a list of books,cd,dvd to be bought.
    Mum taken out for lunch,concerts,shows.
    Funny thing is that if the show is in say March when the day comes Dad gets the hump that he’s not going but if asked if he wanted the ticket for Xmas he’d say no,seems to forget that 🙄

tommytowtruck

Whisky and a book.

RoterStern
    Free Member

What does your dad do all day Steelsreal? 😕

On-oneplus26

A years National Trust membership for the pair of them. Split between me and my brother the cost is not too much either. Done that for the last 5 years now as they really enjoy visiting the places togeather.

jamiep
    Free Member

My parents keep asking for (and getting) National Trust too

honeybadgerx

Father in law is into his wood carving, crafts, etc. so is getting a tub of swarfega and a lump of wood!

missnotax
    Free Member

Just my Dad, and he’s getting tickets to the 2013 Goodwood Revival (although he has to take me, so he’s only really getting one I suppose! 🙂 )

Win win!

cookeaa

Booze!

FuzzyWuzzy

Nothing – we collectively decided a few years ago to only buy for kids in the extended family, makes Christmas much easier and means I don’t have Homer Simpson socks or Old Spice to look forward to.

rewski
    Free Member

a pair of national trust memberships

FOG

Well my kids have only just started buying us ‘proper presents’ as they have claimed poverty for many years[ 31 and 32 respectively]!The 32yr old is still a student,oh will it never end, and the present giving seems to be in one direction only. The 31 yr old buys me music or alcohol which are always welcome but they sruggle with mother’s presents, usually something art related, she being an excellent painter.

ads678

Get my dad vouchers for a wood turning tool shop, and my mum vouchers for going shopping!

trb
    Free Member

Dad – large bag of mints and 4 tins of beer
    Mum – nice soap, school photo of the grand kids and large bag of liqourice allsorts

If that seems cheap then the last time I spent more than £20 on them they got grumpy that I’d spent too much.

Mind you my kids will probably “buy” me a large bag of haribo and 4 tins of beer – and that will make me very happy indeed, so I appear to be turning into my dad…….

Sandwich

Care home vouchers. 😈

trail_rat
    Free Member

getting them a cheap but modern laptop this year , they are always moaning about their current one thats slower than shit – its 3/4 years old and well used and abused.

generally when im away i skype them and the computer is painful for them to skype on.

thejesmonddingo

Mine get flowers,anything else gets nicked off their graves round here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘What do you get your parents for Christmas?’ is closed to new replies.