Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • what do you do with old Laptops?
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Got 3 in the house 2007/2010/2012 the first two still work (after a fashion) the last one is dead as a dead thing.

Recycle? – where?

Donate to someone who can fix and use them?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hard drive out, bin as electircals

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Cheers!

And worng forum obvs! 😐

smokey_jo

They will probably run a decent Linux Distro OK. What’s the condition of the hardware like on them? (screen, keyboard etc)

thepodge
    Free Member

Wipe them, upgrade the RAM and stick Linux on them then laugh at how a crappy old laptop trounces new windows ones.

Turned one into a media centre for party / bbq duites

Bimbler
    Free Member

I DBAN-ed mine and donated it to Age UK

seosamh77
    Free Member

i put about 3 old computers out in the street s few months ago, really ancient machines, 2 macs and a pc, all desktops. They were gone within half an hour! 😆

Take the HD’s out first.

seosamh77
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    then laugh at how a crappy old laptop trounces new windows ones.

in planet podge perhaps! 😆

timba
    Free Member

Any of the above

If you opt to remove the hard drive either buy a caddy (several available for <£10) and make a small portable drive for back ups or destroy/securely-wipe it (a 320GB drive can take a long time to wipe)

mogrim

Currently using one as a dead weight to stop the dog sticking his nose in the organic waste bin.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As above, install Linux and carry on using. Throw the knackered one.

Stoner
    Free Member

swipe the 18650 cells from them and use them in portable battery banks and LED torches.

I get the banks on ebay. V handy. a 2x cell one comes to london with me for the day. It’s got enough grunt to charge the tablet and the phone. Small ones live in the landy and the motorbike.

IHN

Lives under the Sky box, wired into the telly, as Netflix/streaming/torrent viewer

Waderider
    Free Member

Round here desktops and laptops run until the actual hardware has a terminal failure and they ARE fit for the bin, courtesy of using linux.

This desktop is nine years old, the laptop beside me is about seven years old, and neither started life as high spec machines.

skids
    Free Member

If they work you can sell them for something

richmars

Take the hard drive apart with your son, who then puts the very powerful magnet next to your CRT TV, resulting in a trip to Richer Sounds to buy an new, bigger TV, one without a green smudge in the middle of the screen.

mudshark
    Free Member

Try Ebay starting at low price, if fail then Freecycle

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

Wipe the hard drive and donate to a charity, there should be some local organisation that will accept it. They’re generally refurbished and given to worthy organisations, sent abroad etc.

spooky_b329

I split the screen/keyboard/touchpad etc and list them on ebay…a full screen/bezel with the Wifi antenna and various gubbins seem to go well. Do a bit of research and work out which models it fits as it’ll often fit newer machines too.

brassneck

Take the hard drive apart with your son, who then puts the very powerful magnet next to your CRT TV, resulting in a trip to Richer Sounds to buy an new, bigger TV, one without a green smudge in the middle of the screen.

I’m guessing you wanted a 4K telly, but the household accountant said no? 🙂

Cougar

What’s actually wrong with them? A factory reset might breathe life back into machines that have had a few years of abuse. 2010 isn’t that old in the grand scheme of things; my main computer at home is a 2008 laptop and it’s still rapid.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘what do you do with old Laptops?’ is closed to new replies.