Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • what do you do when travelling with bikes?
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

Made a last minute decision to take 3 bikes on hold rather than just the one. Will have two on the roof for a 12hr journey sit into two days. What do folks do at service stations etc? Leave a watchman? Keep fingers crossed they are there when you return?

iain65
    Free Member

Always keep them in sight plus use additional locks – but I’m paranoid!

antigee

towball rack – big cable lock thru wheels/frames down to spare wheel frame under car – back it into hedge/tight to wall

just make it a bit hard so no opportunists

sorry doesn’t help with roof mounts or pro’s

SirHC

Towbar rack, lock them with an additional lock when stopped and not near the car, car is never out of sight though.

spooky_b329

Wedge them into the boot and use a roofbox for the luggage was my method. Worked well.

Also our hotel had secure parking as a bonus.

porter_jamie

easy. i take the vito which has no rear windows and a bulkhead. if i take the t4 which has a second row of seats and no bulkhead i loop a few cables round the frames and lock them to each other and the van. last time we put the bikes in bike bags and just posted a long cable into each bike around the frame and locked them together and then to the van. the bags make the inside of the van much tidier. when we take the dog i never have the van out of sight anyway – i park up at the entrance to the services carpark which is generally empty and take the dog for a walk round the grassy bit which is usually there, whilst the missus nips in to use the facilities.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just back from a week’s camping with two bikes. Fiat Doblo (notability conversion) bikes with wheels off, widthways against front seats then all camping gear in afterwards. Once packed you couldn’t even see the bikes. Did have an old curtain thrown over the bikes to protect from scratches/damage to vehicle.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bike in the car. Obviously not everyone can do that.

Noting that my home insurance cover for bikes insists the bike has to be inside secured vehicle and not visible. Nicked from a bike rack, no payout.

satchm00
    Free Member

After reading about racks being ripped off car roofs we just leave someone to watch. :-/

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. Keeping guard is the only way

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘what do you do when travelling with bikes?’ is closed to new replies.