Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What do you do if your bike gets nicked?
  • shedfull
    Free Member

Thanks to a thief relieving me of my carbon 456, I’m wondering how long I should wait before I start thinking about replacing it. The 456 wasn’t insured (I priced the policy and decided I could build a new bike every year for the premium cost) so I’m entirely in the hands of the police or anyone who sees the bike being ridden or sold. So, how long is it reasonable to wait before I start buying stuff to build a new bike? How fast are bikes found if they’re found at all and is there a time after which it’s unlikely to show up?

Militant_biker

Commiserations. Losing bikes to thieves sucks.

When mine was stolen I even spotted them riding off as I legged it out of the front door. Police knew who had done it, I ID’d him, but even with a prosecution and 280 hrs of community service for the scroat, I never saw the bike again.

One the other hand, a friend spotted another friends frame being ridden in a new build, chased him down and called the cops. Friend 2 ended up with the frame back after about 7 months. All the parts were never seen again.

Edited my shameful spelling 😳

meehaja
    Free Member

TBH I’d start collecting parts now, chances of seeing the bike again are slim i’m afraid. Keep an eye on gumtree/ebay etc.

Time for a S**T retro build with mid nineties XTR?

singletrackmind

I would be riding around at the DJ’s by the milford turnpike travellers site. You never know , either your mx or mtb or both might make an appearance.
    |Even if you have no luck the yoofs might be able to find your bike for you

burt
    Free Member

a long shot
    same sort of area might be worth a punt

burt
    Free Member

read it properly now, this lots been done so bikes nicked a while ago
    sorry

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Maybe its just me, but I don’t get why people have expensive bikes, but no insurance??

jedi

i go and find my bike 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

. . . and then

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjdm7eea3xDEPtfe0hvY6wcAhHGbFPwAPY9X7fhQv5KcJrpvdp[/img]

and

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvGc2nTEoBglgs_IhTbDcCNszDVl76jo8aPTVDf2KT0krgBKYZgg[/img]

😈

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe its just me, but I don’t get why people have expensive bikes, but no insurance??

Clue in OP:

I priced the policy and decided I could build a new bike every year for the premium cost

andrewh
    Free Member

For mine the premium, with one foreign trip per year, was £750!
    And I have 6 bikes… (not all that expensive though)

Car insurance is compulsary and ‘only’ £330.

4ndyB
    Free Member

5 bikes worth around £6k at RRP/estimated 2nd hand prices only costs me an extra £7 per month on my house insurance

I’d be looking at getting a better deal from another insurer

Teetosugars
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Clue in OP:
    I priced the policy and decided I could build a new bike every year for the premium cost

Never heard of M & S??

I’ve 6 bikes and each is insured for up to £4.5k at no extra cost on my home insurance..

My cheapest bike is worth about £1k ( Winter road bike), my SS, ROAD, CX, FS & HT are all worth a lot more..

Kevevs
    Free Member

what Jedi said!

depends if you know where it’s gone. I was sat in a cafe a few years ago and saw a bloke whistle by on My Stolen Bike. I dropped my coffee and cycled after him (on my other bike) and one way or another got my bike back.

but I’d imagine it has gone and that’s that. Best thing is to sleep with the precious bikes and have a cheapo “don’t care about it” bike for shops, pub, etc. or get insurance.

shedfull
    Free Member

Thanks for all the posts. The house insurance for us is a pain – the house is 17th century and has a stream running through the garden. Lots of insurers won’t touch it because of the flood risk. The ones you can get aren’t good with bikes. My policy pricing was based on CTC’s insurance, which I presumed was pretty cheap, but for 4 bikes valued at £7k total.

I think, based on everyone’s comments, I’ll hold on a couple of weeks in case the bike is magically found then start buying bits. I’ve wanted to go 2 x 10 for a while. 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

Not too concerned about a bike being stolen, they’re safely chained to the wall in my garage with £100+ abus heavy duty chains and wall anchors… plus they’d have to get past the garage alarm, and the curtain twitching neighbourhood watch 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What do you do if your bike gets nicked?’ is closed to new replies.