Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What do you do if you are caught riding on exposed ground in a thunderstorm?
  • Harry_the_Spider

A question that we were asking each other whilst riding on t’tops in heavy rain last night.

IHN

Lie down in a ball (seriously)

Murray

Make sure you’re riding with someone taller than you?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Get off the top of the ridge/hill, don’t get into a cave, sit on your pack tucked up in a ball.

rocketman
    Free Member

Carry on the tyres will provide enough insulation

29″ obv better

888trojan888
    Free Member

Pedal like f*@K 😈

wwaswas

be grateful I’m on a Ti frame and stay close to someone on carbon or steel?

don’t get into a cave

because of the bears?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Adopt the “lightning safety position”!

On your knees, thigh bones vertical, forehead on the ground. The idea is that, if you are struck, the current will earth itself via your femurs without going through any major organs. Sounds sketchy to me.

I do like that it’s quite a close resemblance to putting your head between your legs and kissing your ar$e goodbye…

Trimix
    Free Member

If the strike hits the ground near you it can still kill you. A chap died on our football pitch when lightening hit it. Everyone was slightly affected, he just didnt get up 🙁

Trimix
    Free Member

“lightning safety position”!

Seems more like your about to get shafted while your head is buried.

tang
    Free Member

This happened to me once and I did pedal like ****. Was actually pretty incredible, if ill advised.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

be grateful I’m on a Ti frame

Why?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Combination of above, IMO plan A is to get off the hill top asap. If lightening starts getting close then lie on the ground and away from the bikes.

@Trimix that’s a tough story.

Trimix
    Free Member

Yup, his wife told me after I asked how he was. Not a lot I could say after that really.

wwaswas

Why?

for comic effect, mainly.

Although I have high hopes for my fat bike.

[edit] read this mornign that a thunderstorm went through Europe last night – there were over 100,000 lightning strikes whilst it lasted 😯

hot_fiat

Been through this on a motorbike several times. I took the point of view that it was extremely unlikely that I would be hit and just carried on. It did get the pulse racing a bit.

My mum believes* that she has seen St Elmo’s Fire on her bike handlebars a very long time ago.

*I’ve learned that not everything she says is founded in reality.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

This bit of advice from a former member has stuck in my mind and always makes me laugh:

“You should be able to see teh centre of the thundercell anyway and you can just avoid getting into the centre”

😆

What steveomcd says. Remember that lightning can arc from what it hits, so try to stay away from trees and conductive thingys.

hot_fiat

You could use this handy map to avoid lightning.

Seems pretty scary in Lyon right now.

Google maps version

Northwind

We did a ride in the pyrenees on a stormy day, our guide said something to the effect of “If it looks like thunder, we’re all getting off the hill as fast as is humanly possible, and if anyone doesn’t like it and thinks it’ll spoil the ride, they can stay behind and think nonconductive thoughts”

D0NK

You could use this handy map to avoid lightning.

argh I can see it updating, that is freaky

(yes I know it’s just a cross on a webpage but consider how much energy/potential is in each of those crosses)

binners

Offer to give Hora a piggy back?

andytherocketeer

Pedal like f*@K

^^that 😈

you can see a storm coming. either don’t ride on the tops, or get down asap.

have ridden like I nicked it twice. once I dropped down to the road and then had the fortune for following an ambulance back in to town, so all the traffic lights went green. the other time was in a forest, on what was a 30C+ blue sky sunny day (so had the black iridium lenses on), and 15 minutes later it was like night time. had to time trial back with no glasses, squinting. both times torrential started as I got to the front door, both times I was watching lightning strike the buildings with 100 metres by the time I got indoors.

ps and I use that blitzortung thing all the time at this time of year. can be pretty reliable once you know roughly where your weather comes from. although here is right on edge from flat valley to hills, and have seen storms “appear” from nowhere.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Try and hit 88mph and hope I get struck by lightning 🙂

dazh

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bikes-lightning

Sticking your arse in the air seems like an even stupider idea than relying on a bit of rubber to protect you!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d go for the pedal like **** option, everything else seems like variations on sitting still waiting to be hit. Head for a valley/woods (and pick a small tree).

richmtb

and if anyone doesn’t like it and thinks it’ll spoil the ride, they can stay behind and think nonconductive thoughts”

😆

Carry on the tyres will provide enough insulation

29″ obv better

Black Chilli Rubber Queens are even better in all regards

gwaelod
    Free Member

26ers are a little bit smaller..make sure your mates all have 29ers.

Harry_the_Spider

St Elmo’s fire? If that is like a plasma cloud effect I saw it up in the roof space of a factory that I used to work in when it got struck by lightning a few years ago.

There was a hell of a bang and one of the letters fell off the name on the side of the building.

arachnidlover
    Free Member

I thought this was St Elmo’s Fire?

Or is that just my age showing…….. (cr*p film by the way)

matther01
    Free Member

Isnt the theory that the lightening hits the highest point i.e. your head, so sticking your ass in the air makes the lightening pass from your ass to the ground without frying your brain (making sure you keep your head off the ground… stopping a circuit?) At least i think that’s what I read somewhere.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ve surfed during an intense thunderstorm… Was super scary with lightening hitting the water less than1/2 a mile away. But you are safe in a rubber suit right?

daftvader
    Free Member

tbf some of the people I know, when sticking their arse in the air, are more likely to be hit in the brain!!!

stevomcd
    Free Member

cloudnine – yep, been there! Great evening session at Anglet, only a few people in the water. Starts raining but hey, the surfs good and I’m wet anyway! Out back in the line-up, bobbed-up on a wave as a set started to build and got a good view out to sea just as lightning struck a few hundred metres away. Huge section of ocean changed colour. I paddled like *** for the beach!

booktownman
    Free Member

Bizarrely, I faced this very dilemma out with a couple of lads about two hours ago. We could see the stormn kicking off way behind us and thought it was going to blow through a neighbouring valley. 20 mins later we were in the thick of it with the thunderclaps worryingly close behind the lightning which looked to be striking ‘just over there.’

We ditched the bikes and sat on our haunches in a hollow for ten mins being pelted by hail the size of peas until it passed.

This in June FFS.

dazh

This in June FFS.

That’s normal isn’t it? I’m not a meteorologist (although have a passing interest), but you need warm and cold air to form storms, and this time of year there’s plenty of that about with warm air from the south and cold from the north/west, when they meet in the middle, you get storms.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve been out on a big lake in Switzerland in the mountains in a rowing boat during a sudden storm with big lightning. Obv there were some mountains around to attract the lightning but we were in the middle of the lake with at least 500m to the nearest shore (eg something higher than us) and nothing to protect us other than 8 carbon fibre sticks.. One of the scariest things I’ve experienced as we did a flat out race to the shore to get off the water while lightning flashed and huge thunderclaps shook us. 😯

jam-bo

I’ve surfed during an intense thunderstorm… Was super scary with lightening hitting the water less than1/2 a mile away. But you are safe in a rubber suit right?

Mate of mine claims he was surfing hope cove when lightning struck really close. Didn’t die but I think it proper rattled him. Couldn’t breathe properly for a bit.

Personally I think it’s more unlikely that hope cove was surf able…

portlyone

I ride in chain mail just in case. It’s also is a great excuse for why I’m always last up the hill…

booktownman
    Free Member

@dazh – thunderstorms, yes – I wasn’t expecting massive hail though!

andytherocketeer

I’ve been out on a big lake in Switzerland in the mountains in a rowing boat during a sudden storm…

often not so much the lightning storm that’s the issue, but the squall

seen them come in over Lake Constance – at this time of year it can go from beautiful day to are we going to sink in a frickin’ deep lake in minutes. ace on-shore storm warning system though. all the bars and reastaurants can turf everyone off the terrace and inside in 3 minutes, and get all the sun shades down and stowed, *just* before the carnage hits.

just stick “bodensee storm” or “bodensee unwetter” in to youtube to see how bad they can get (and normally it’s a nice peaceful lake with lots of boats)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What do you do if you are caught riding on exposed ground in a thunderstorm?’ is closed to new replies.