Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What do you charge your lights in?
  • zippykona

My batteries take a long time to charge so doing it over night would be best.
    Thinking of something waterproof and plugging it in the outdoor plug socket.
    What do you use?

Junkyard
    Free Member

if good batteries and charger – smudge for example nothing

If cheap chineses – i place mine in a casserole dish on the fireplace away from anything flammable

Dibbs
    Free Member

Mine are USB charge, I use my PC at work, if they burst into flames, I’m on the Fire Team anyway so I’ll deal with that when it happens

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I usually charge my Exposure lights in the kitchen.

aracer
    Free Member

My house or my car, depending on which charger I’m using.

scotroutes

My study

zippykona

Nite core charger and trout batteries.
    Not caught fire yet but the Internet has made me paranoid.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Does your butler do it for you?

Trout batteries were smudge iirc

They will be well protected and I would charge them wherever you like

The chineses one I a charge very carefully

breadcrumb

At work on the concrete floor.

If I was to charge them at home I think it would be in a biscuit tin in the garage.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m being blasé, and also fairly relaxed about my charging because I do only use quality chargers and batteries, but it’s worth pointing out that I’ve seen reports of fires even charging quality LiIon batteries with quality chargers – I wouldn’t leave one charging overnight.

Stoner
    Free Member

Toolbox in the yard on an extension lead

tomkerton
    Free Member

Chinese ones in an Ammo crate from army surplus store

chip
    Free Member

I have a couple of batteries for my solarstorm light, one torchy and one mtbbatteries.
    I charge them using a mtbbatteries charger in the kitchen just on the worktop.

I only charge them during the day when I am in, but then I do this while charging anything.
    I have had a dewalt 18v charger melt itself to my carpet at home before and have redecorated someone’s kitchen due to fire damage after a faulty phone charger caught fire.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheap Chinese batteries and charger used on a carpeted floor indoors, sometimes even left unattended over night. I don’t appear to have died yet.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I use 18650 cells in a £5 DX charger… The charger is on a timer and it’s in a LIPO bag. It has all worked just fine for the last 5 years.

aracer
    Free Member

Let us know when you do. You’re certainly increasing your chances there…

accu
    Free Member

since having a burned kitchen floor from charging my magicshine light at night! three years ago, i`m a bit more careful right now…
    so only on a congrete floor during the day when I´m in,
    while having a maxx D and an old thirdhand wilma right now,i`m a bit more relaxed again..

vorlich
    Free Member

The only battery I’ve ever had go mental on me was in my old MacBook, it swelled up and deformed the case (unibody aluminium!), so it’s by no means just ‘cheap chinese’ batteries that can go wrong.

My Exposure and candbseen both get charged in the workshop.

Laptops, iPads, phones etc all get charged indoors without any special precautions.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it’s by no means just ‘cheap chinese’ batteries that can go wrong.

Aye cheap ones with a very expensive logo on them that costs tons can also explode 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting risk perception there – the only item you’ve had a battery problem with is the one you take less precautions with! But also a good point – there’s no particular reason why a good quality light battery and charger is likely to need more precautions than a laptop – laptop batteries typically have more energy and chargers provide more power.

hugo
    Free Member

I’m a bit tin foil hat with my off brand lights charger. Outside plug and so on the patio.

tomaso
    Free Member

In a tin in the garage.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

In 4d , at work

Drac

In a vacuum oxygen free container.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ahem… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/when-charging-li-ion-batteries-goes-wrong

Li Ion drill battery did this to a neighbours this week:

zippykona

Is the problem the charger or the batteries?

cheers_drive

Our mobiles, laptops, and tablet are nearly always on charge overnight in our house, is this bad?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Professor plum, with the biscuit tin in the kitchen

pitduck
    Free Member

in a bunker under the pacific,then I sleep off planet just in case

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I charge mine inside a disused elephant, covered in blue asbestos reclaimed from the local hazardous waste site, & guarded by SAS Gurkhas armed with C3PO fire extinguishers & lollipops, just in case. (in the garage)

5thElefant
    Free Member

Is the problem the charger or the batteries?

Both. Big companies get caught out too. There have been numerous recalls of phones and laptops where they’ve turned into incendery bombs.

accu
    Free Member

in my case it was the charger which melted at first….
    the batteries where just red hot so far..
    was always joking about the “internet stories”, until I smelled smoke..
    while just going to bed after a fantastic night ride…

it takes a while until it gets serious..

flap_jack
    Free Member

Proper paranoid now I’m throwing the mains switch at the consumer unit before I go out…

zippykona

What’s the signs that something is not good?
    Should a battery or charger ever get hot?
    Pretty certain my apple laptop charger gets quite warm.
    I think someone will soon be flogging a specific box. You can seat your tyres with a coke bottle but we’d like to spend £80 on a proper gadget.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I just buy new ones when the current ones go flat.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Left my Chinese battery/charger combo plugged in last night due to completely forgetting about it. Realised when I woke up so ran downstairs in a panic and luckily all was well. Won’t be doing it again mind…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What do you charge your lights in?’ is closed to new replies.